Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gmehje

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
Hi,
I hope someone can help or at least point me in the right direction.
I keep all my applications on an SSD in the MacPro.
As of 3/4 hours ago it no longer boots up - the Mac starts up from the default instalation still on the original HD (one of 4 internal drives).
I don't have a bootable copy of the SSD but I do have a copy of the files on a TimeMachine backup from yesterday.
The problem is two fold:
1. The backup of the SSD is just copy of the disk/files and is not bootable. Can I make it so?
2. Due to 'insufficient space' the Time Machine backup does not contain all my client files. It's a new disk seems to have copied only the SSD and two external USB drives that were attached to the Mac Pro. So I can't restore everything from Time Machine as I would loose the files I currently have safe?

I want to be able to boot from the SSD that's within my folder called Backups.backupd on my TimeMachine drive. Is this possible?

Huge thanks for any help. I've done some googling and can't read or find clarity what to do!

Kind Regards,
Ged

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
If the SSD is still mounting, can you reinstall OS X on there? It wouldn't delete any of your files.

You cannot boot from a Time Machine backup. You must first restore it to a new drive.

bplein

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Austin, TX USA
  1. Put in your replacement boot drive (SSD or otherwise)
  2. Boot from your Mac Installation Disk as shipped with the Mac Pro
  3. Install a new OS to the new boot drive
  4. When prompted, restore from Time Machine to restore your files.
If you didn't have Time Machine backing up your applications, you will need to restore those too.

Painful, yes.

gmehje

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
Update (help still needed!).
The ssd has no data on whatsoever.
I upgraded one of the internal drives to 10.6 using SL disks and software updates. Then I 'migrated' from my bootable backup of my laptop (which has most applications on it).
It would only do this if I set up a new user - so I did.
The problem is that 1. it doesn't have all the applications (that were on my MacPro) 2. I've now got two users neither of which are correct 3. all my draft and sent emails are nowhere to be found.
I don't know what to do next! I know I can switch between users but I though that a migration would just give me one user. Can I create master user?
A lot of my application support is now in at least two different locations for the two users - how on earth do I work out which is the proper data?
What a pickle!
G

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I don't know what to do next! I know I can switch between users but I though that a migration would just give me one user. Can I create master user?
A lot of my application support is now in at least two different locations for the two users - how on earth do I work out which is the proper data?
What a pickle!
G

Nope, migration does not merge users.

You'll need to sort this out by hand.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
You need to pull everything from Time Machine then. then try to re-initialize and format your broken SSD I suppose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.