help with DNS and domain name

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by twoodcc, Aug 28, 2007.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

not sure where to put this, but I have a DSL modem hooked up to an airport extreme. I cannot get a domain and DNS setup right.

I've tried just about everything. Anyone wanna help me out?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Chances are you have a dynamic IP address, so it would be hard to keep a domain name attached to it as it would be changing.

4. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

for right now, host my own website. In the future have a server setup (mail, web, etc)

I'm thinking of getting leopard server when it ships

So far I've tried free domain names, with no success. I don't want to pay for one until I know it'll work

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

then you'd use a dynamic DNS service like www.dyndns.com, is this what you're after? :confused:

edit: ok, just seen your above post.

You do want a dynamic DNS service. This works by having a client running on a system within your network, whenever your WAN IP changes it updates the dynamic hosts DNS record with your new address.

Register an account at www.dyndns.com and then get the update client.

To get individual services accessible from over the internet that are already available on your LAN you will then need to forward the appropriate ports. You'll have to specify what services you want for further help with this.

This is all totally free BTW ;)

6. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

that is correct. That's why I need help. I also need help with port forwarding

7. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

I've tried this before with no luck. I don't know if its my router settings or what

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

What do you mean no luck? Exactly?

If all you did was set up the dynamic hostname and install the client and then tried to access a website running on your mac it won't work. You need to forward ports.

What did you do last time, and how did you decide it wasn't working?

9. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

ok, I did that, and I tried to forward the ports, but it never worked. My DSL is provided by windstream

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Can you please try and help us to help you? :rolleyes: Having to drag every little bit of info out of you makes this a slow and painful process.

What port(s) did you forward?

11. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

sorry, everything so far i've posted was with my iPhone (i was at work), but i'm home now.

bascially what i did before was search online on how to do it, and since i have the new airport extreme, mostly what i found was how to do it with the old one.

i forgot which ports, but i know port 80 is for websites (not sure why though, i guess just default?)

but do i port forward with the dsl modem, airport extreme, or both?

i think i tried all different variations, and none seemed to work

12. kolax macrumors G3

13. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

i'm not sure. i think it's possible, but there's more to it than that (i think)

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yes, port 80 for web.

Before you do any port forwarding, can you get to your website (being hosted by your Mac presumably?) by opening a browser on the machine running the web service and going to http://localhost ? If you can great, the web service is at least running and working. Now you need to get the IP of your Mac running the web service - you should be able to find this in networking prefs. Now go on to your AirPort Extreme and forward port 80 to the IP address you just got. Make sure the firewall on your Mac is open for port 80 also.

Let us know how you get on, and if it all goes bunk, tell us where this plan falls over.

15. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

yes, i can see the localhost in a web browser on the machine. setting up port forwarding on my airport extreme is the hard part.

under Internet, i go to Connection Sharing. and i'm supposed to choose "Share a public IP address". but after i do that, and restart the extreme, my internet doesn't work. but with the connection sharing off (bridge mode), you can't get to the port forwarding page

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You're going in completely the wrong place. This isn't something you change in the connection settings of your own machine.

I don't have your router, I don't even have any version of AirPort, but I think there is an AirPort admin app in Applications/Utilities. It's this you need to use to forward port 80 to your Macs IP address.

edit: This might help you.

17. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

yes i know. everything i said was in the airport utility. to get in the "NAT" tab, you have to have "share a public ip address". and i also have to configure DHCP as well when i do that

and that link is for the old extreme

18. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm almost certain you're doing something wrong in the port forwarding, but since I don't have one I can't really help any further. Get googling for help with how to configure port forwarding (or mapping as apple seem to call it) on your version of airport.

19. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well maybe you still could help. if you were going to choose "share a public ip address", what address would you pick? i've been using 192.168.254.x for my network. right now my router's ip is 192.168.254.250 and the dsl modem is 192.168.254.254

if i choose the "share a public ip address", in NAT settings is where port mappings are. in there, there is "enable public host at: " and i choose an ip address.

also, what should my beginning and ending DHCP address be? i've had trouble with this as well (if you pick wrong ones, then you can't update the extreme)

and should i put anything in LDAP Server or DHCP Reservations?

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I have no idea why you're even sharing an IP address. It's totally unrelated as far as I'm concerned.

What AirPort do you have exactly?

edit: If you're using one of the brand new AirPort's see page 54 of this Apple doc.

21. MacUserSince87 macrumors member

Your DSL box is also a router...

You may be dealing with something similar to what I did with Verizon DSL to make my LinkSys wireless router work as my LAN DCHP

The DSL modem provided by Verizibn is also a DCHP router. The telco side has the Internet IP such as 70.xxx.xxx.xxx the router side of the DSL box is assigned 192.168.1.1 and then it dynamically assigns IP addresses to the devices on your LAN you connect to the DSL box directly or via a hub in the range of 192.168.1.2...255

So when you plug in your Airport to the DSL modem, which is probably also configured with IP 192.168.1.1 by default you have two problems. The fact that on the telco side the Airport is getting a dymamically assigned IP that might change and the fact that both the Airport and the DSL router have the same default IP.

The simple solution - the one I used - was to plug my computer directly into the DSL box and using the web browser log into it as admin by using 192.168.1.1 as the URL and reconfigure it as a bridge. I found the instructions on how to do this on-line with search. Recongfiguring the box disabled the DCHP routing function of the DSL box. The final piece of the puzzle to make it work was to take the MAC address from the Verizon DSL box and clone it onto the LinkSys router. There's a place on in the admin interface of the LinkSys specifically for this. The cloning step is necessary because Verizon uses the modem MAC for authentication of the account.

After Bridging and MAC cloning to the Verizon system the LinkSys looked just like the router side of the DSL box. I unplugged my computer from the DSL box, connected the LinkSys Router to it and my computer to the LinkSys then turned everything back on. Once the DSL connect re-negotiated I was on-line. The LinkSys had the Verizon assigned dynamic Internet IP on the telco side, used 192.168.1.1 for itself, and then dymamically assigned IPs for the rest of the Class C subset 192.168.2...255.

If you are running a web server you need a static IP on the telco side which I believe requires a business DSL plan. You might also want to configure differently, putting the public server in the "DMZ" between the DSL box and your Airport. That would require configuring the DSL box to assign static IP addresses to both your web server machine and the Airport. You'd then change the default Class B IP of the Airport from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1 The Airport will then dynamically assign 192.1.2.2...255 to the rest of your LAN devices.
    The advantage of that two layer approach is that your LAN will sit behind the firewall of the AirPort isolated from your Public server in the DMZ. FWIW one of the neat features of the LinkSys is the ability to designate a static IP as being in the DMZ without the need for the double router set-up.

22. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah I have the first wireless-n one. I see what ur referring to, I'll try it when I get home

23. cmuench macrumors member

One thing to keep in mind is if your ISP block port 80 for residential use. Mine does(cox). You might want to look into that before spending any more time on this.

24. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah they say that they dont block any ports

25. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i can only get to the Port mapping tab when i have "share a public ip address" selected. when i don't have that selected, the tab goes away.

i need help with:

my IP address
    Subnet Mask
    Router Address
    DHCP Range
    DHCP Beginning Address
    DHCP Ending Address