Help with Mac Mini setup

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Flatsfisher, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Flatsfisher macrumors member

Tonight I plan on ordering a refurbed Mac Mini base model, 24in LCD montior, key board and mouse. Not looking to spend to much more than 800$ on total setup. Thinking of going with apple wireless keyboard and mouse along with this monitor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049

What do you guys think of this setup anything I should change? Any help would be great! Just looking for best bang for the buck. Also will be ordering a wall mount for the monitor.

Thanks!

2. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Not sure about the monitor (just use my HD TV for it) but the apple keyboard and magic mouse are excellent choices that play well (I did not have to even plug any USB keyboard or anything since minute one).
    Just make sure to buy some rechargable batteries ;)

3. jmcgeejr macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

Looks like a great setup, one thing though, add in 8gb of ram to your newegg order, really helps that mini shine.

4. Flatsfisher thread starter macrumors member

Could you send me a link with what ram I need? I appreciate it.

5. jmcgeejr macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

6. Flatsfisher thread starter macrumors member

7. philipma1957, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

8. Flatsfisher thread starter macrumors member

Reviews look pretty good. I will look into it. Refurbed base mini just sold I guess. Time to wait for the next one

9. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

Looks great overall.

If you want to save some money, you can go with a different keyboard mouse combo. It really depends on your taste/style. I personally cannot stand the apple chicklet keyboards. I think they are slick looking but horrid to use.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126195

This currently what I have hooked up to my mini. So far it's a pretty nice setup especially for the price.

10. Flatsfisher, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

Flatsfisher thread starter macrumors member

Order done. Went with a NEW mini with education pricing, asus 24in LCD, 8gb ram uppgrade, Logitech solar keyboard, Logitech wireless mouse, and an extra HDMI. Ended up spending a little more than I wanted but I am very happy with the order. Thanks for the help!

11. Flatsfisher thread starter macrumors member

Quick question. When I sync my iPhone on the new Mac will my contacts, photos, etc erase or will ICloud back it all up?

12. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

If you sync your iPhone to iCloud already today ask yourself why you would need to connect your iPhone to the new Mac.

Anyway - I guess you'll get many different answer to yr question but as it's your valuable personal data I would advise you not to trust anyone's forum advice but read through http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1296 thoroughly!

13. Flatsfisher thread starter macrumors member

Anyone know if I will be entitled to a free mountain lion update?

14. Flatsfisher thread starter macrumors member

15. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

Well that sucks a bit.. But then again...

That sucks a bit for my 2011 i7 mini, but then again. I have to say I really do not like Lion. So if Mountain Lion is anything like it's predecessor I will still try to find a work around to get SL on my mini, and get back to computing the way I am used to and what I like on my macs. :D