Resolved Help with Making a Clock in Objective-C Command Line Utility

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by faroZ06, Aug 23, 2012.

1. faroZ06, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012

faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

I'm playing around in Objective-C with a "foundation tool" (Objective-C command line utility) project in Xcode. At the end of my program, it's supposed to go to a clock that updates itself in the Terminal window. The problem is that it doesn't start on the right time, so it's almost always off by a fraction of a second. I tried to fix that by having it wait until the nanosecond time is a multiple of 10^9, but this ends up just going into infinite loop. What am I doing wrong, and is there a better way (I'm guessing there is)?

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

[NSDate timeIntervalSinceReferenceDate] measures the time interval in seconds.

And to avoid wasting CPU time, call [NSDate timeIntervalSinceReferenceDate] once, round up to the next second by calling ceil (), then call usleep for waiting the right amount of time.

3. faroZ06 thread starter macrumors 68040

faroZ06

Ah, thanks. Sorry for the noob question.

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Nothing to be sorry about. You posted the code that caused the problem, which means you gave the information that was needed to find the cause of the problem - that puts you far ahead of the average.