help with memory upgrade for Imac (Intel)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aneftp, Dec 2, 2007.

1. aneftp macrumors 68040

I feel stupid for asking this question:

I got a 2GB (2x1GB) from staples this morning (got the SODIMM). I have not installed memory in a while and never on an iMac.

I know the imac (I plan on getting the 20 inch model with 1GB installed) and I do not want to pay the outrageous prices apple charges so I got this 2GB memory from staples this morning for $60 dollars.

Did I get the wrong 2GB memory since it is 2x1GB. I assume the Intel Imac's only have 1 open slot available and I wanted a total of 3GB of memory on my new iMac. So did I buy the wrong memory? I figure this price is too cheap for a 2GB memory.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you want 3Gb then yes, you have bought the wrong RAM. I imagine that if you buy from Apple with 1Gb you will get 2x512Mb anyway so you'd need to replace all the factory RAM to get to 3Gb anyway.

3. CrEsTo macrumors 6502

CrEsTo

Yes, you bought the wrong RAM, you needed 1 stick of 2GB, that in case you already had 1 stick of 1GB installed, for a total of 3GB.

The iMac only has 2 slots for RAM.

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Yes, you bought the wrong memory. You bought two chips. There is one chip in the iMac, that makes three. There are only two slots - so this cannot work.

What you should do: First, go on the webpage www.crucial.com. Check out exactly what memory your Mac takes; they have all the different iMac models on their webpage. Check whether the memory you bought is the right one. If it is the right one, then you have the choice: Put one 1GB chip into your iMac, and try to return the other one, or try to return them both and buy a single 2GB chip (only if the crucial webpage says it will fit).

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

To check what you have in your iMac: Apple Menu, "About This Mac", "More Info", then click on 'Memory".

6. aneftp thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks for the fast response guys. I am heading back to staples to return the PNY memory.

I found a deal on buy.com for a kingston 2GB notebook for only $47 dollars with google checkout! I am getting that one. There was a review from one person on that site who said it works on the Intel Mac's.

http://www.buy.com/retail/Product.asp?sku=206341199

7. peejack macrumors 6502a

8. aneftp thread starter macrumors 68040

I do not know if Kingston is any good. I've used Kingston before on PC's without problems. RAM is RAM to me. If it works, it works.

I'm just not going to overpay for RAM. Plus $47 for 2GB is good for me. I'll have a total of 3GB in my iMac.