Help with my macbook pleasee :)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macbook54321, Aug 19, 2012.

1. macbook54321 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have a Macbook which works pretty well but the battery is terrible. It will be fully charged but the battery will last me a maximum of 3 hours if I'm lucky. When I close the lid or put it to sleep a light fades on and off and it uses up a lot of my battery. This is just a theory and I have looked online but no one else seems to have this problem, but I have a feeling it does use battery because if I close the lid with 3 hours battery when I open it 2 hours later I will only have 30 minutes of battery left. How can I turn this light off? Even if it doesn't waste battery it is rather irritating at night. Thank you so much. :)

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You can't "remove" that light. That LED will flicker like that always showing your computer is sleeping. Moreover, the light is made by an LED, (Light Emitting Diode) which barely consumes any power.

If your computer's battery drains fast, the problem is elsewhere.

3. macbook54321 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much, is there any other way I could find a way to save battery power? :)

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

During sleep mode? No.

5. macbook54321 thread starter macrumors newbie

What about if its not in sleep mode, just general ways to save battery. I have looked on the energy saving settings and done them all but is there any others? Thanks so much for your help!

6. vistadude macrumors 65816

How old is your macbook? 3 hours might be normal if it's 4 years old or older. You might need a new battery, and more ram to speed up performance.

My macbook is 2.5 years old and got about 7 hours battery life when new with wifi on. Now i'm getting 5-6 hours. In sleep mode, the battery loses ~15% charge overnight. With a new battery, I might lose only 5% overnight.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

How does RAM help the battery issue?

8. vistadude macrumors 65816

You waste a lot of battery and power doing tasks if your computer is slow. I can remember my old desktop was 8 years old and just getting to gmail and checking email took 10 minutes. On a new computer, I could do it in 30 seconds. You sort of don't really notice how much time you waste until you get a new machine or speed up the old one.

Also if you have low RAM, you might be maxing out the CPU all the time, which makes it hot and requires a higher fan speed. That can kill the battery quick.