Help with my Wordrobe (Clothes)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MonksMac, Jul 3, 2008.

1. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

During this summer I plan to clean out my closet and get rid of a bunch of Clothes. When that is through I will be needing to get new clothes. Since the MR community is so fashionable I thought maybe you could help me and recommend some stores I might want to check out.;) I most definitely not that in style and I would like to change that.
    I am a 15 year old guy if it makes any difference.
    Thanks,
    MM:apple:

2. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

What sort of clothes are you looking for? Can you describe your physical appearance?

I am in the same process and am going through my closet to get rid of clothes I no longer wear or clothes I don't wear anymore.

3. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Are you looking for higher end or middle of the road clothes?

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Go to the mall and see what stores other people your age are shopping.

5. MKnight macrumors regular

MKnight

I don't know where you live, but stores I recommend are Urban Behavior, Le Chateau on the more attainable/affordable side if you want pretty nice trendy clothes of decent quality.

Do you consider yourself to have any particular style or more generic??

Are you looking for more of a sporty/relaxed look or a more trendy/slick sort of look?

I can probably help you out since I shop a fair bit and consider myself well versed in fashion and style.

6. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Lesson 1. Take a girl with you to buy clothes. Girls generally have a better eye for what looks good on guys (which makes sense if you think about it)

Do not take another guy with you - they rarely know enough to tell you the truth.

Avoid skinny jeans - very few people look good in them

If you slightly over weight - wear dark colours and avoid horizontal stripes.
    If your tall and thin - wear the opposite of above.

Generally avoid high fashion - everyone looks the same and often stupid.

7. MKnight macrumors regular

MKnight

Those are some excellent pointers and I have more to add on that.

I do agree, skinny jeans are terrible, you are far better off with a low rise boot cut.

With regards to who you take with you to go shopping, while the general consensus is that girls do have better taste and know how to shop, some girls do have terrible fashion sense so I wouldn't stereotype.

I would recommed and encourage you to try and find your own unique style if you can.

8. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

go into stores and look at the mannequins.. pick out what look would fit you..

9. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Screw "fashion." Get what is comfortable and reflects what you like, not what someone tells you to like. All fashion is, is a way to get you to buy new clothes every six months whether you need them or not.

Luckily, men's styles change VERY slowly. Women's, on the other hand, are transitory to the point of absurdity.

Simple, subtle, & neutral in cut and color will always be acceptable and appropriate.

10. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

So he can look like a stalker? lol

11. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Any particular brands/styles your looking for?

12. MonksMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Wow guys that's a lot of responses!
    More info about me-
    Body Type- I'm about 5' 6.5"-5' 8" tall. I suppose my weight would be considered about average for someone my age at 150 lbs.
    I really don't want to give my specific location but I live in the DFW area of Texas.
    I really don't have a set style. So I guess it would be considered generic or maybe preppy. Also I dislike the urban/hip hop/rapper look. The clothes I am looking for are just normal everyday clothes and not formal clothes. Most of my stuff comes from WalMart and I'm sick of the subpar quality of the stuff.
    Thanks again guys!:apple:

13. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Ralph Lauren if you have some money to spend. No, it's not cheap, but it's not outrageous depending on what you get. It's hard to go wrong as long as you're reasonably sensible with what looks good on you.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

My advice is to know how you want to look, then tell us. This is just a guessing game. You want to look normal, generic, and preppy? That conjures up 2 different images in my head. I don't know why, but it does. The best way to help yourself is to go online to the big shops and show us which models have the look you want. Or maybe you could show us the shirts you're interested in, and ask us which is best? We'd need to have a photo of your face and body. Sorry, it's impossible without it.

I personally don't care about brands. Most of the stuff in my wardrobe isn't really from any fashion designer brand, and I don't think I'm missing out.

15. The Past macrumors 6502

I am not sure if that should be generalization, but guys know a lot about clothing as well (and I mean even the heterosexual type, for those who are going to run with TV stereotypes of men and fashion).

I do a lot of work for fashion brands and you should see the clientele in some of the better stores around the world. You will know what I mean about men knowing a lot.

So it depends on the guys we have in mind.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Also, I'm sure you're probably looking for advice on what type of clothes to get, or what pattern, colours, styles, etc. I'm going to give you some different advice. This will apply to you because you're probably a pretty average size (not fat, not skinny), so it's easy for you to follow.

1.(a) It doesn't matter what you wear, because you'll always look average (or worse) if your shoes are ugly, and your hair is bad. Fix those things up first, and then work on your clothes. Otherwise, average is the best you're going to do.

(b) You don't need to buy "skater" shoes like Vans to look cool. Just don't wear runners all the time. Are you running track, or playing sports all the time? It doesn't work.

2. (a)Buy stuff that fits. Seriously. It doesn't matter how good a shirt looks sitting on the rack, or on a mannequin. If it doesn't fit your body, it'll look like s***. I believe that any shirt that fits you well will look nicer than a "nice" shirt that fits a little too big. The stuff you already own may meet that criteria. It doesn't matter how ridiculous

(b) When you try on a shirt, the most important thing is whether the shoulder-to-shoulder width is correct, not how long it is. If it's too long, then of course there's a problem. Make sure the shoulders on the shirt (where the sleeves begin) and your shoulders meet. Otherwise it looks sloppy. Even an average looking shirt can look good if it fits really well. If you grow taller next year, shoulder width won't change too much.

3. You don't need more than 2 pairs of jeans, and you certainly don't need more than 3 pairs.

4. Sand, green, and brown coloured cargo pants won't get you noticed, and won't make you look cool. They're the most average you can get. If you want to look average, then own a pair. I try to avoid them now, but that's because I don't want to spend money just to blend in with the wallpaper. However, owning a pair isn't a sin, and it can look good. But you probably own a pair already. ;)

5. Don't forget your shoes and your hair!

17. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

Skater shoes is a very wide category. You have everything from old school chucks to very plain looking vans to very colorful and interesting looking Nike Dunks. I own a few pair of Nike Dunks that are rarely worn because of them being limited edition. I try to find the shoes that go with the clothes, not clothes that go with my current shoes.

While I do completely agree that hair is very important part of appearance, I think you need to be a little more relaxed on how good the clothing style looks in relation with the hair.

I think 3 pairs of jeans isn't enough, I have about 5 in my closet and they are all mostly different styles. If you wear jeans on a consistent basis, I would own at least 4-5. That is just me though. Oh yeah, I don't wear shorts during the summer, so I wear jeans pretty much all year around.

18. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

:eek: Worst suggestion ever. Don't do it unless you plan on staying in the mall for the whole day and getting a style that isn't you.

19. MonksMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Thanks Abstract. I guess I am leaning more towards the preppy.
    Just give me a little bit of time and I can attach a few pics of me.:apple:
    I really appreciate all that you guys do for me.:D:D
    Abstract- Here are Face and Body Pics
    I'll be back in a bit, have to eat dinner.

Attached Files:

20. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Can never go wrong with Holister, American Eagle or Abercrombie.
    Avoid Walmart and I think you'll be good.

21. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

don't change everything at once ... buy something ... see how it works then buy something else.

I had a long standing tradition of buying something I thought was a little too flashy for me, I'd get used to it and really love it. This is how i improved my style and became more outgoing as well. I highly suggest having one thing that you like, but in the back of your mind thought you might not wear ... then wear it!

22. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Go to:

Abercrombie

American Eagle

Hollister

And you should be good.

23. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Look up the Fashion section of AskMen.com for some good advice on slick clothes.

Start out with the underwear and we'll go from there.

1. A&F Trunk Briefs (heather gray is best) or Boxers
    2. Jockey white ankle socks / black dress socks
    3. Straight-cut Gap blue jeans (dark stone wash) / Black dress slacks
    4. U2 concert T shirt (they're all cool) / White 100% cotton dress shirt
    5. Brown leather AE belt / black dress belt
    6. Mock black combat boots / Black leather dress wing tips
    7. Citizen Chronograph watch / Skagen mesh band
    8. Gap military-style jacket / Black combed wool overcoat
    9. Trendy haircut like Brad Pitt or Matt Damon
    10. iPod Classic... loaded with ultra-cool songs by Moby, The Commodores, or John Legend.

Actual stores to recommend? The Abercrombie look is cool, to an extent. They go overboard with the slashed jeans and way-too-worn-out caps. AE tries to copy them too much. Gap is just about perfect when it comes to balance like that. Also, for dress, Hugo Boss.

Damn I'm good at this :D

24. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

American Eagle has become equivalent to a Wal-Mart brand.

25. MonksMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Whoa! You really thought this out! At least I already have the iPod Classic.:apple: