Help with new 500GB Seagate

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by neilhart, Nov 14, 2007.

1. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

What am I overlooking?

New Seagate ST3500641A-RK (500GB bare Ultra ATA/100) in an external USB enclosure.

OS X Disk Utility (Tiger and Leopard) fault with an error message in the log:

"Partition failed for disk ST350064 1A Media Input/output error
    Partition complete.

error with partition Input/output error"

The Apple machines are an old Mini Mac and a new MBP both with Leopard. I booted the MBP to an external copy of Tiger and had the same Disk Utility result.

While I can move the drive over to an XP machine and partition and do a NTFS format; where the drive is a-okay.

I was intending this drive to be my "TM" drive, so I would really like to get this 500GB drive on line.

Suggestions?

Thank you,
    Neil.

2. waldoj macrumors newbie

Ditto

I have precisely the same problem on my 1.66GHz DP mini.

I'm using a Newer Technologies Mac mini-style USB enclosure with a 200GB Maxtor in it. I've been using this drive as my backup drive for a year. Today I bought a USB-based 320GB LaCie to use as my Time Machine drive, deciding to use my old 200GB Maxtor as my iPhoto/iTunes drive. I partitioned the LaCie without difficulty. But when it came time to take the old 200GB drive down to one partition, Disk Utility couldn't do it.

No problem -- I copied all of the data off of the old drive onto the new 320GB one and erased the old drive. Nothin' doin'. I received precisely the same error as you. There's nothing useful in the error logs -- just more of the same, though there is the acknowledgement that it's a kernel-level error.

Again, this is not a new drive. It's one that has worked just fine. It would be a remarkable coincidence for the drive to fail mere minutes after I hooked up my new USB drive.

Tech Tool Pro hasn't been updated to work with Leopard yet, so it's Disk Utility or the command line. I don't have time to do any more debugging tonight, but if I do get it solved, I'll report back.

3. visch1 macrumors newbie

"Tech Tool Pro hasn't been updated to work with Leopard yet, so it's Disk Utility or the command line. I don't have time to do any more debugging tonight, but if I do get it solved, I'll report back.[/QUOTE]

I'd check further into that, as I understand its functions work if the machine is booted from the Tech Tool disk. It worked for me by repairing 2 drives that had some serious errors on them, both in enclosures.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Just out of curiosity, try changing the partition map to GUID or APM (if you haven't already, that is).

5. waldoj macrumors newbie

In my case, I can't change the partition map -- I can't change anything, since everything generates that error message.

6. neilhart thread starter macrumors 6502

neilhart

I have tried all the modes and get the same error.

I put in a trouble report at the Seagate support site and have not heard anything back. I currently have the drive (as an external USB) connected the the Mini Mac and it is writting 'Zeros' in Disk Utility Erase screen with 13 hours left to complete!

If I get a resolution from outside or inside, I will post it.

Thank you,
    Neil.

7. Wayne s macrumors regular

I am having a similar problem (posted in the OSX forum) I think Leopard is at fault. Get the same input/output error. The HD I am/was using was working great until I tried to reformat it with Leopards disk utility.

8. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Maybe it's the external enclosure firmware that needs updating? I have a 500GB Seagate in an external enclosure, and Leopard formatted/uses it just fine.

9. neilhart thread starter macrumors 6502

neilhart

That is a thought that passed through my mind. I have had a 300GB Maxtor in the enclosure and used it with Tiger Disk Utility with success. So I assumed that the enclosure was "good"... but don't assume.

Anyway, I will give it a go with another USB interface electronics late today and post the outcome.

Thanks,
    Neil

10. neilhart thread starter macrumors 6502

neilhart

Well I give up!

I have better things to do. After installing the 10.5.1 update on the Mini, I get the same result.

The drive goes back to Fry's and I won't have to deal with it. No answer from Seagate at this point.

Thanks for the input and help.

Neil.

11. neilhart thread starter macrumors 6502

neilhart

Follow Up

I retuned the Seagate drive and picked up a Maxtor 500GB model STM305004N1AAA-RK (on sale this weekend). This drive is very similar to the Seagate.

Disk Utility immediately identified the drive and it is now my TM drive.

Neil

12. waldoj macrumors newbie

Repeated on Tiger

I just moved the drive in question from my Leopard mini to my wife's Tiger G4 (1GHz MDD) and repeated the process. Same results. Same error ("input/output error").

What are the odds of an apparently healthy hard drive failing within minutes (2-5, IIRC) of copying all of its data onto a new drive? I've run Tech Tool Pro's suite of maintenance tools on my drives every night for months now, and it never reported any problems of consequence. I booted into Tech Tool Pro and ran its various repair detection tools on the drive. It found not a thing wrong with the drive.

Something's going on here, but I don't know what. This just doesn't add up. Neil, unlike you, I bought this drive several years ago, so there's no returning it. I'm not yet ready to up and buy a new drive -- it seems like cheating -- but it may come to that. The next step, I suppose, is to track down a Windows machine and see how it fares on that.

13. waldoj macrumors newbie

Fixed

I've reformatted the drive on Windows (via Parallels) and then converted it from NTFS to journaled in Disk Utility. It works just fine now.

Clearly, this is not a hardware problem, but a Mac OS 10.5 bug.