Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Well i have a VERY strange problem: a friend of mine updated his iphone 5s to iOS8 but something did not turned well.

The iphone now is in recovery mode, doesn't boot up. When i try to restore from itunes it always gets stucked at the end of the process. The bar of "restoring iphone firmware" stops at 99% or 100% i think and i can leave it there for hours and nothing happens... i already tried:

• in dfu mode
  • In other 3 different windows machines and one mac.
  • in other wi fi network.
  • entering the line: sudo nano etc/hosts on terminal
  • opening an other app that communicates with iphone to "kick in the butt itunes" as this video says: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MscLL_tkSww
  • Apple chat support.
  • tiny umbrella "get out of recovery mode"
i have no wi fi sync installed on my computer(i read somewhere that it could be a problem)
i don't know what else to do, take the iphone to an apple store is not an option as there is no apple store in my country... i went to an authorized reseller and they say the didn't know what to do, they had the same problem.
all this makes me think that it is apple fault....
i can't believe this ****, Apple literally ****ed up this phone with iOS 8. it has no hardware damage as it was perfectly fine in iOS7.....
I tried everything i could think. any other ideas will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

PixelpusherBV

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2013
Harwich, UK
I had the same issue although I eventually fixed it;
With iTunes open & Wi-Fi sync off, I held the home button down whilst connecting the Lightning cable to my iMac. This put my iPhone in recovery mode which then allowed iTunes to restore it to 8.0.2 with no problems.

Apologies if you've already tried this.

Call Apple support if all else fails. Good luck & post back what happens.

----------

Ok, re-read your post; my comment won't help you then. Apologies, just added to your frustration...

suga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Take it to Apple to fix. If the update caused it they will fix it.

As i said in the initial post...
....i don't know what else to do, take the iphone to an apple store is not an option as there is no apple store in my country... i went to an authorized reseller and they say the didn't know what to do, they had the same problem.

justinwebb

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2009
Could be an internal NAND issue and was only a problem when it was restored. Sucks to be you but not much else you can do if it does it on other pc's that says hardware issue

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
There is no apple store at my country, read the original post. Thanks anyway.

Then send it off to Apple.

If a DFU restore won't fix it, there's a hardware fault. The chances are there could have been an underlying hardware fault which has prevented the upgrade from completing properly.

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Apple will likely mail you a replacement. You might also try using redsn0w to kick it out of the recovery loop.

suga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Ruined forever? People can be so dramatic. Just give Apple a call.
talked with apple support chat. He started with a ****** protocol bla bla and then recognized that i already tried everything i could..
Have you try the "kick out of recovery" option with 'tiny umbrella' ? give it a shot.

Yes, i tried. but then shows up the apple logo and turns off.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
talked with apple support chat. He started with a ****** protocol bla bla and then recognized that i already tried everything i could..

Persist with apple support. If they can't resolve it for you they'll have to replace the phone.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM

Damm, one time a friend had something similar and gave it to me to see what could be done but nothing seemed to work; i jailbroke the iPhone and it boot up but no jailbreak for iOS 8 and the new jailbreaks now involve having the phone on and tinker with the settings.

This was from the lime rain jb times.

Il keep an eye on the web, maybe whe find some solution from people that had similar problem.

suga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Persist with apple support. If they can't resolve it for you they'll have to replace the phone.
i will persist.
Damm
, one time a friend had something similar and gave it to me to see what could be done but nothing seemed to work; i jailbroke the iPhone and it boot up but no jailbreak for iOS 8 and the new jailbreaks now involve having the phone on and tinker with the settings.

This was from the lime rain jb times.

Il keep an eye on the web, maybe whe find some solution from people that had similar problem.

thank you.

suga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
well i have had almost 4 hours of chat with apple support!!!!!!!
and at the end they said i must take it to an US apple store!! **** it!.
big apple customer, but this is unacceptable.
I have no friends in the us who would take the iphone into the store, and then send it back to Argentina. A plane ticket cost more than double price of the iphone...

i can't believe how much they ****ed it up. I know that they need this phone so they can send me a new one but i really can't. And even if i have a friend there to do that i must be more than a month without the phone, bother him a lot, pay shippings, etc. a lot of troubles and a lot of time of mine just for clicking on an update button? it is really apples fault an their fail iOS release.

i can't believe this **** really.. now i have an aluminium iStone for clicking a button that apple put it there and insisted with an update available notification ..but the best part? it was unlocked so the shinny iStone only costed me $900. lucky me :rolleyes:

suga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Any ideas will be much appreciated since i will have this iPhone forever.. user from MR you are my last hope!

it will be sad but i am out of iphone for a while, this unacceptable, this is not the apple i loved with iOS6, iOS 7 never was the same and apple is playing catching up, google, for now, is better, and i know this an isolated case but iOS 7 never worked as good as iOS 6... the user experience is worst, it is not apple standard. i would like to say the typical post on MR of "they lost a customer" but my macbook works great for now.. hope they don't **** it up with yosemite.
hope this does not happen to anyone, it horrible frustrating.

Last edited:

suga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
I have no friends in the us who would take the iphone into the store, and then send it back to Argentina. A plane ticket cost more than double price of the iphone...

i can't believe how much they ****ed it up. I know that they need this phone so they can send me a new one but i really can't. And even if i have a friend there to do that i must be more than a month without the phone, bother him a lot, pay shippings, etc. a lot of troubles and a lot of time of mine just for clicking on an update button? it is really apples fault an their fail iOS release.

i can't believe this **** really.. now i have an aluminium iStone for clicking a button that apple put it there and insisted with an update available notification ..but the best part? it was unlocked so the shinny iStone only costed me $900. lucky me

----------

users of macrumors you are really my last hope!

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

i can't believe this **** really.. now i have an aluminium iStone for clicking a button that apple put it there and insisted with an update available notification ..but the best part? it was unlocked so the shinny iStone only costed me $900. lucky me :rolleyes:

You're getting this upset over a phone that your friend owns?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.