Help with wireless carriers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SlasherDuff, Feb 15, 2012.

?

Help with wireless carriers

Poll closed Feb 18, 2012.
  1. AT&T

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Verizon

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  3. Sprint

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SlasherDuff macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

I plan to purchase an iPhone in the near future, but I am at a crossroads at which carrier would be the best for me. I live in the Northeast Florida region (Jacksonville, Gainesville) and planned to use more talk with minimal data. Any recommendations? Thank you

2. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

VzN or ATT

and thats coming from someone who has Sprint!

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My recommendation is to talk to friends and find out which carrier they have and what they have to say about them. Carriers vary depending on location, so what works great for me in Colorado might not work the best for you in Jacksonville.

4. SlasherDuff thread starter macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

5. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Verizon. Better in Central and Southern Florida for voice. ATT does have their HSPA+ rollout but I had many dropped calls. Also Verizon is much further along in their LTE rollout in the state covering Tampa,Orlando,Daytona,West Palm,Miami. So better future proofing if next iPhone has LTE.

6. SlasherDuff thread starter macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

I think for now I'll stick with getting a 4S

7. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Either Verizon or AT&T, although like mentioned ask around which of the two has a better average speed and quality in your area.

8. ninjaw95 macrumors 6502

9. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Ok well my experience in Orlando/Tampa area was data speeds were relatively good around 2 mbps. However voice wouldn't connect and would often drop with 5 bars. Your experience may vary however.

10. SlasherDuff thread starter macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

My husband has AT&T but doesn't have a smartphone. I have not noticed dropped calls from using his phone though. I just took a look at coverage maps in my area and though I don't trust them, things are looking good so far :) Thank you everyone.

11. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Glad to help, Enjoy! :apple:

12. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I only have experience with T-Mobile and AT&T. I decided to go with AT&T for my iPhone because I heard they were reliable in my area (south Florida), and because of the talk+surf feature. For calls, I noticed the sound quality was slightly worse than T-Mobile. But otherwise, AT&T is okay.

I do not have any experience with Sprint or Verizon, but I assume those are okay as well, though Verizon would probably be my second choice.

13. cynics macrumors G4

If talk coverage is your main concern then Verizon. Although ATT has faster data with the iPhone. LTE phones are a different story.

14. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

The differences between AT&T and Verizon are becoming grayer by the day. Now Sprint on the other hand..