Helping a Friend Buy a Computer $800 Limit

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Canaan, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Canaan, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012

Canaan macrumors member

This is for a Laptop... forgot to mention that initially. I told my friend I'd help him pick out a computer, and while I did originally have a few models in mind (he asked this many months ago but now finally has saved up some money after having a series of unfortunate car events), but I forgot them and figure that at this point with how quickly things change, new stuff is out. Soooo it'd be great if I could get some ideas.

I'm looking for these things in particular with most important listed first...

-Reliability/Durable Build (Trying to steer clear of hp due to past experiences and a friend who works for them even said nowadays he wouldn't buy from them. I really like the look and feel of some of Samsung's ones that have metal bodies)

-Good/Long Warranty (Friend would be crushed if it got messed up quickly as he doesn't spend money on this stuff often)

-Good Internals (Preferably enough to run games like minecraft smoothly, maybe some other more demanding games.)

-Ascetically Pleasing (This is to replace an ancient Thinkpad that was arguably pretty sexy in it's own way, but maybe something more modern looking. Then again, he wouldn't be against another Thinkpad.)

And that's about it. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. I really love this community and knew this is the first place I'd check for some help. :)

P.S. In the mean time I'll keep looking myself and anything that can be bought from Best Buy or something of that ilk would be a bonus as he is afraid of internet purchases. (I could change his mind though)

2. eric/ Guest

eric/

For the warranty, you're just going to find industry standard everywhere. But you could get an accidental damage super mega amazing warranty from Best Buy. Probably would cost $100-200 or so depending on how many years.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

4. eric/ Guest

eric/

Or save up more money and purchase a 13 inch macbook pro and/or an 11 inch macbook air

5. matbook101, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2012
  6. Canaan thread starter macrumors member

Any way I can move it? I was wondering if I had picked the right section or not. Also, a Mac isn't an option because of the need for Windows. EDIT: Looks like it got moved so never mind that.

7. /user/me macrumors 6502

You can run windows on a Mac. Either set up a Dual Boot, and run windows by itself, or get Parallels/VMWare Fusion and run OSX and Windows at the same time.

8. eric/ Guest

eric/

Why not get another Lenovo?

See here's the thing, when you look for a "cheap" laptop (or anything really) you end up getting exactly what you payed for. Cheap.

Buy one good thing, one time and be happy with it.

9. Canaan thread starter macrumors member

Yes I know that but, with the $800 limit, that's not a viable option.

Anyway, I believe this is what he and I will be looking at today: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...lver/4707137.p?id=1218512739912&skuId=4707137

And judging from the reviews, specs, and my previously seeing it in Best Buy before, I think this about fits.

10. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

Or a refurbished MBP or even iMac, but yeah, I agree. For $800, I think a non-brand-new Mac is the best purchase. If someone was trying to maximize a budget of $500 or less, I would probably steer them toward a PC because the Mac options at that level just aren't good enough for modern general usage IMO.

11. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Since some gaming is a requirement I would skip that laptop. It's just got a worthless integrated GPU from Intel. I set up a search on Newegg with your criteria in mind. The results are for Core i5 and i7 laptops with mid range GPU's.

At $800 you really are scraping the bottom for gaming laptops. Ones with better battery life cost more.

As for a hazard warranty I'd get a warranty through Squartrade.com afterwards. A 3 year warranty on a new $800 laptop runs $125 and it covers accidental damage. Don't bother with refurbished laptops if you want their warranty as it costs a lot more and covers less.

12. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

"Preferably enough to run games like minecraft smoothly" - I'm pretty sure any computer from the past decade can do that :)

Search eBay for a late model Macbook Air.

13. njean777 macrumors 6502

14. Jb07 macrumors 6502

If he needs/wants Windows, then just buy a Windows computer and save money rather than buy a Mac and not use Mac OS. I recommend a Lenovo IdeaPad U400 or Thinkpad. The Samsung laptops look pretty nice too.

15. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Actually that claim is ******** the map generator the TNT explosions and the like all use up RAM and my 2011 MacBookPro gets 40 fps when I play so do some research before taking a quick look at the graphics and saying something ridiculous like that.

16. malman89 macrumors 68000

Yup. I'd direct them to an Ideapad from Lenovo. 30seconds of searching pointed me to the Y series, the Y740p to be exact. Online deal for $759.20 includes an i5-2450M Processor, an AMD Radeon HD 7690M 1GB GPU, 6GB of 1333MHz RAM, 14" screen, 500GB HD. Way better than any used Mac and quite a solid machine for the price. GPU seems to be somewhere between the 6750 and 6770M of the MBPs, all for $1000-1450 less.

Meh, I've run Minecraft on my Late 2006 MacBook (Intel GMA 950 integrated) since alpha with no issue, unless sure you want to blow up the whole world.

17. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

The latest full release uses a new lighting system and I play on far viewing distance....

18. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

What-ever! I stand by my claim. Phhhtttp!

19. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

If you stood by your claim you would try to defend it to the death;)

20. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

I did...just then. ;)

21. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Oh you are on!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

22. William.Mantle macrumors 6502

Sub 800 dollar laptop?!... Macrumors is not for you

23. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Hah! You have no idea. :rolleyes:xInfiniti and a SMNAYOLOUOTTAH

24. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

refurb Air. or used Macbook or Macbook Pro.

A white C2D Macbook would work based on the criteria.