Helpp New To A Mac Lost

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fromcha06, Jul 20, 2008.

1. fromcha06 macrumors member

Hello All-

I just bought a mac notebook....the funny thing is all I really know how to use is the g-band application. I had a few questions maybe you guys could help me out?

:confused:

+can you max the screen on a mac like you can on a pc?
    +can I access AIM through iChat or any other app better than the seemly SUPER basic and nasty AIM they offer for the mac?
    +on my PC i was able to lock it. so you needed a password to access the computer. ie: coming out of a screen saver or on a startup. can I do that on a mac?

oh, lastly how do I correct the spelling in the browser? I see it if I spell something wrong it underlines it in red? but there is no "right click" so i am LOST!?

Thank you guys so much for your help!! I look foward to hearing from you!

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

• The (+) button in the top left of a window resizes to the maximum window needed to display. There is no "maximize to full display area" as in Windows.
    • iChat supports AIM. Alternatively, try Adium.
    • To "lock out", just log off (Cmd-Shift-Q). Same result.
    • Right click on a MacBook is two fingers on the trackpad-click. Make this your preferred setting in System Preferences>Keyboard & Mouse.

Attached Files:

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not in the way that you would on windows, but you can stretch the screen by dragging the lower right hand corner of the window.
    Yes, iChat accepts .mac names and AIM names.
    You can put a password on your screensaver, just go to system preferences/security.
    You do have a right click, sorta. It is "control" and click. Unless you have a two-button mouse.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

JohnNotBeatle's fingers are clearly faster than mine! This is a first. <writes it down>

5. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

+can you max the screen on a mac like you can on a pc?

Yes, you need to drag it out by using the bottom-right corner of the application.

+can I access AIM through iChat or any other app better than the seemly SUPER basic and nasty AIM they offer for the mac?

Not sure, but I recommend Adium

+on my PC i was able to lock it. so you needed a password to access the computer. ie: coming out of a screen saver or on a startup. can I do that on a mac?

Yes, in the System Preferences under Security.

And I though I was first!

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hi and welcome to the family. :) It'll get easier quickly.

1) No, generally most apps don't maximize like in Windows. There are extensive discussions on why this is in other threads, so I won't repeat it. The green ball in the upper left makes the app the size it thinks it should be -- some apps get very large with this (e.g. web browsers, iTunes), whereas other apps expand to a smaller size, because they can already display all they want to at that size.

2) Yes, iChat works out of the box with your AIM account. Just open it and log in. Adium ( http://www.adiumx.com ) is a very popular program that does AIM, Yahoo, MSN, Jabber, and others, but doesn't support audio or videoconferencing.

3) Yes; the option is in the screensaver preferences. Also look at the security pane.

4) Spelling is corrected by right click, and there is a right click. On all Macs, you can right click by pressing the control key and clicking. On all current Mac notebooks, you can right click by tapping the trackpad with two fingers (and also I think by holding one finger on the trackpad surface and pressing the button with the other?). On the Mighty Mouse you can also right click; just lift your finger on the left side of the mouse up and tap the right side of the mouse with one of your fingers. Spelling correction should be self explanatory from there. :)

EDIT: Argh, another repost. Ahhh, well, maybe having it explained repeatedly will make it easier. :D

7. fromcha06 thread starter macrumors member

one last one ....

...haha, ok that's a lie but for now anyway....

how do I set up AIM on the iChat?

you guys are awesome!!! thank you so much!!

8. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

it has a thing u can pick when setting up its always .Mac but u can choose Aim by clicking on the thing that says .Mac and select aim i like i chat better than adium.. and why did everyone have to answer the same thing 4 or 5 times :confused:

9. mando1246 macrumors newbie

mando1246

Help For New Users

Hi there

regarding the correction of spelling, you have two options:
    1) Put the cursor over the incorrectly spelled word, press and hold the control key while clicking the mouse button. The will bring up a drop down menu similar to "right clicking"
    2) You can change you mouse options by going up to the black apple in the upper left hand corner of the screen, going down to system preferences, into Keyboard and mouse, and then setting your left hand side to primary and your right hand side to secondary. This will give you the right click option you desire.

You will have to elaborate on the "max screen" bit, but what I think you are wondering is if you can fit a window, such as a browser, to be the size of the full screen. If this is correct, all you need to do is click on the bottom right hand corner of the window and drag it to the desired size.

You can find other great tips at www.apple.com/support/switch101 and www.apple.com/support/mac101
    :D

Hope this helped.

10. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Open iChat, go to Preferences>Accounts. click the (+) at the bottom of the Account list to create a new iChat account. In the Account Setup window, select AIM Account. You should know the rest from there...

Attached Files:

11. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

They were all typing at the same time. :D

12. fromcha06 thread starter macrumors member

ohh, see I keep forgetting the "options" are at the top of my screen now... i was like "what the HELL"

awesome...

what about the "double-click" on a touch pad?
    you know how on a PC you can click twice on the keypad and that will be our double click? can you do that on a mac? or do you alway have to click? i choose the "two-finger" option but that seems to let me scroll.....?

13. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

You can double-click either the trackpad or the button.

14. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

i dont see why they didnt do the touch thing with the rev macbooks they did the scroll with 2 fingers or do i have to go in system prefs, sorry for butting in :(

15. fromcha06 thread starter macrumors member

is there something I need to check to-do this? bc now everytime i try to "tap" on my touch pad nothing happens?

16. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Your eagerness to help is highly appreciated:D but this is a wrong tip!

What the 'thread starter' actually meant was, "How to lock the computer, not log off!"

How to do it has already been mentioned... Another way to do so manually is by Sys Pref|Accounts|Click on lock (lower left) and authenticiate|In options check 'show in menubar'.

Now click your username in the menubar and click 'login window'

And, Welcome to the Brotherhood!:D

17. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

I like how everyones up to help this guy cool and all and u seem like exparenced mac users so why not help me how to get a flippin external monitor not to mirror and span ah :eek:

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Thread crapping to whine? Nice!

19. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

i thought id had to complain since everyone in the states are complete well id say it but mac rumors would freak out because im swearing to people that live in there parents basements :mad:
    And assuming half these people are from the usa
    Now that i got all that out :D

20. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I appreciate the correction. :rolleyes:

You are correct in the interpretation, but logging off achieves the same. I passed up the screensaver portion in trying to cover the entire list. My bad.

21. fromcha06 thread starter macrumors member

hey guys - sorry a little lost on the "locking the computer"

I am looking to-do what I did on my old PC... booting up requires a password to get in... also if I get up and want to lock the computer so no one can access with out a password.....like on a pc i just do "window key + l" and it bring up "this computer is in us eand has been locked... then shows my user name and password. ...?

thanks again everyone!!!

ohhh and that tapping on the mouse pad.....doesn't work? or is there a setting so I could close a window by just "tapping" or double click something by jsut tapping?

22. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Thanks for understanding!:D
    But actually considering your point, is logging off and locking the same?

My opinion differs! I encode loads of videos and while encoding is going on, I lock my mac and step away for some time! Locking will allow the user processes to run in the background while Logging off will kill all of them!:)

23. fromcha06 thread starter macrumors member

ok i got the tap thing to work!!! so now if i want to save a pic i just drag it over... this is amazing... MAC is sick!!! thank you again!!!

24. fromcha06 thread starter macrumors member

this is exactly what i am looking to-do... how do i do that??

25. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

System Preferences>Security. Choose the selections that suit your particular needs.

Attached Files: