Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Unicode Consortium today announced it has finalized a new set of 157 emoji that companies like Apple will be able to implement later this year. There are actually only 77 new emoji in total, as some have multiple skin tones.

ios-12-emoji.jpg

Jeremy Burge, who runs the popular emoji-themed website Emojipedia, has shared sample images of every new emoji in an Apple-like style to show how they might look on devices like the iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

Emoji 11.0 will include several new hairstyles and types, including male and female faces with red hair, curly hair, gray hair at a younger age, and no hair or baldness, along with hot and cold faces, and woozy and pleading faces.

emoji-faces.jpg

Other notable inclusions are new male and female superhero and supervillain options, a face with a party hat, and emojis for well-known activities such as sewing, knitting, lacrosse, softball, frisbee, chess, and skateboarding.

emoji-11-superheroes.jpg

New animals and insects include a kangaroo, parrot, peacock, swan, badger, llama, lobster, hippopotamus, raccoon, and mosquito.

New food options include a bagel, lettuce, mango, and cupcake, among others, while new objects range from a fire extinguisher and test tube to a toilet paper roll and sponge. There's even a pirate flag and an infinity symbol.

emoji-11-objects.jpg

Emoji 11.0 will be part of the Unicode 11.0 standard, scheduled for release this June. The new emoji typically start showing up on mobile devices in August or September, so expect to see them on iPhones and iPads around iOS 12. The new emojis should extend to the Mac and Apple Watch at some point too.

Next up will be Emoji 12.0, part of the Unicode 12.0 standard, scheduled for release around March 2019. New guidelines in Emoji 12.0 will allow for emojis that currently face to the left or right only to face either direction.

Article Link: Here Are 150+ New Emoji Coming to iPhones and iPads Later This Year

RedKite

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2017
Quite enjoy the look of those hero ones :)

Why are some people sad over Apple catering to this part of the market? There are quite a few people working at Apple, yknow!

Kognito

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2011
The more there are, the harder it is to find what you want to use.

We’ll have to come up with some sort of code, using a limited number of symbols, perhaps around 26 of them, that when placed together in certain orders can convey which emoji it is you want to use.

Wouldn’t that be novel?

ike1707

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
The people making these emoji‘s are reminding me more and more of the people making edibles - they need to slow the **** down. A gummy bear should not be able to steal your soul. Likewise, we have PLENTY of emojis. It already takes too damn long to scroll through them.

Last edited by a moderator:

JCoe13

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2014
Chicago, IL
If you watch the video, they cleverly named this left most emoji "Smiling with 3 hearts"

upload_2018-2-7_15-44-18-png.750348

The more there are, the harder it is to find what you want to use.

We’ll have to come up with some sort of code, using a limited number of symbols, perhaps around 26 of them, that when placed together in certain orders can convey which emoji it is you want to use.

Wouldn’t that be novel?

If you already type on the keyboard and then go to the Emoji keyboard, it shows you related emojis when you click on orange words.

Reactions: AirunJae

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
I think it's great we're finally getting red-head emoji, but it's a little annoying that it's not be applied across the board for all people emoji, but specific red-head emoji. Red head's can be super villains too.

CAN BE ???

Coming from a family with a large number of red-heads I think the correct way to say that is “most certainly are”.

And if you don’t believe it just ask me.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I wish I could curate the emojis better. I know that my recently used are set aside, but I wish that I could have a page for favorites, or ones I want to remember, or something. With so many, they are difficult to find quickly.
DEFINITELY need a favorites page! I have probably 10-15 I use frequently, and the recently used page gets EXTREMELY EASILY AND QUICKLY messed up. Always having easy access to the same emojis always in the same spot would be amazing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.