Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
I'm not scrolling further than the "recently used" ones, because after that it just gets too messy.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
I wish that Apple would adopt something similar to Slack on their text input fields where you can search for an emoji if you know the general idea of what you're looking for by using a colon and the search term i.e. ":glass" would be enough to yield results for several variations of emoji that have glass in their name, narrowing down the ones you might be looking for.

It's not quite as powerful as Slack, but you can type words and get emoji suggestions.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
There should be a new emoji for emoji exhaustion. Seriously, it's got to be quicker now to just write [anxious about test] than to search for the emoji with the sweaty brow, baggy, bloodshot eyes. Oh maybe that's not the "anxious about test" emoji. Text wins.

pbush25

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
It's not quite as powerful as Slack, but you can type words and get emoji suggestions.

Eh, I'm not even sure if you can say that's the same thing. It did help when they started adding three at the end in the one suggestion box instead of just one, but there's so many emoji, and not enough words trigger what I'm looking for.

Reactions: AirunJae

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Ok, time for an "Emoji Search" option, or maybe a "Save to Favorite"?.. Cause this is becoming a bit overwhelming when looking for one.. And "Frequently Used" doesn't cut it..
Google keyboard searches emoji

jeffrow925

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2016
I wish a rotate 90 degrees would be available and we can rotate them any director on or mirror them

Steve.P.JobsFan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Columbus
Ok, time for an "Emoji Search" option, or maybe a "Save to Favorite"?.. Cause this is becoming a bit overwhelming when looking for one.. And "Frequently Used" doesn't cut it..

We've got an Emoji search on Android Oreo.

Screenshot_20180207-165105.png

One of the things I enjoy most about dumping iOS after 6 years for Android is the attention to the little things, something Apple used to be king of.

Here's hoping with iOS 12, they pull their head out of their a$$e$. While Android Oreo on a Pixel is great, there are certainly some things from iOS I miss. Namely the cohesive experience between Mac, iPad, iPhone, and Apple Watch.

chris1958

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2018
I never really cared much for emoji, but I always get a kick out of how much some people abhor them.

I think emoticons where much better. But I don't abhor emojis. What get on my nerves is, that every time Apple comes up with a new version of iOS, there are no new features, no improved stability. The only thing, which is proudly announced by Apple, is emojis.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I've got nothing against Emojii but Apple has got to find a better way of doing this. There are way too many already. It's getting too time consuming to find the one you're looking for.

I think that Animoji is a direction towards the solution. Have a handful of characters that can be modified to do endless expressions and allow them to be saved in users' favourites and recents.

Reactions: tobefirst ⚽️

johncarync

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2005
Cary, NC
face-palm_1f926.png

Ugh! MORE emojis?

I really want a Filter button that I can toggle on and off. With the filter button on, it only shows the emojis I care about and hides the ones I don't think I'll ever use (like all the flags). If I'm looking for something I can't find, I can tap the Filter button to show all.

Reactions: AirunJae

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I think the only one i ever use is a smiley, or frown, mad face etc. I can't imagine ever using all of these other ones.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I've got nothing against Emojii but Apple has got to find a better way of doing this. There are way too many already. It's getting too time consuming to find the one you're looking for.

I think that Animoji is a direction towards the solution. Have a handful of characters that can be modified to do endless expressions and allow them to be saved in users' favourites and recents.
That’s an interesting thought. I would definitely use Animoji more if they were images instead of videos.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
What get on my nerves is, that every time Apple comes up with a new version of iOS, there are no new features, no improved stability. The only thing, which is proudly announced by Apple, is emojis.

There are plenty of features.

As for stability, that's quite hard to measure.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
A shame Apple doesn't open it's searching API for others as well... If Apple won't allowed to to search, then perhaps developer would hook in to that somehow if only Apple allowed it.

eg.. rather than Apple list all results,, you'd use developers own search to find emoji's

rdd1

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2017
I wish Apple would be spending their time on innovating some new electronic gadgets instead of bringing out new emoji's. Emoji's are weak.

Kiorr

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2017
Finally a skateboard! and then it look like this, holy s... thats ugly

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
That’s an interesting thought. I would definitely use Animoji more if they were images instead of videos.

Good news: They are!

IMG_1059.jpg

While composing a message, go to Animoji and make the expression you want. Then either tap the Animoji and it'll show up in your upcoming message or drag it into the messages window as a sticker. You can pinch to scale and rotate the sticker.

Apple should redesign the Emojii input window with just a small set of categories.

- Recents and Favourites (show up in the main window)
- Characters (all the different animals and characters, including yellow smilies)
- People (Just basic people that are customizable)
- Hand gestures

When you select a character, make the expression you want like you do with Animoji today. If you want further customization, allow you to add features like hearts or tears to eyes, question marks over their heads, etc. For people, allow customizable hair, skin colour, and clothes that identifies their profession. Your recent customizations show up in recents so you can use them easily. Your most used ones show up as favourites.

As for hands, the TrueDepth sensor can be made to recognize hands and reflect them as customizable emoji on screen. A simpler implementation would have you swipe through gestures like on Apple Watch.

For all remaining emoji, iOS could build its own on the fly through suggested emoji based on what you type. Flags and other objects/food specific emoji would be suggested while you type.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.