Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
It's an Oligopoly … or Duopoly more precisely. Your lesson for today: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duopoly

It's the exact opposite of a free market 🤣

The mechanics of a free market would result in hundreds of different companies and operating systems of high quality and low prices all over the world, all very competitive and innovative, not just two companies that produce mediocre quality and promote high prices.

At this point I'm not sure why this situation even exists, but I'd say it needs to end. It's most likely US institutions failing to do their job and acting protectionist. But they should rather stick to their own laws and put an end to this duopolistic situation. I'm sure monopolies and related forms are forbidden in their laws, and I'm honestly surprised to see this happening in a place promoting itself as having something to do with free market.

But in the end, it will do more harm to everybody. It's certainly an uncomfortable problem to resolve for the institutions and the administration, but it's better to resolve these kind of things asap, and have a healthy system and be free.

The problem will grow, innovation will become even more scarce, and at some point everything will crash and be replaced by a superior Chinese OS that has been, as we'll hear then, preparing this situation for a long time.
if the current market place isnt meeting consumer need then an opportunity exists for someone to come along and upset things. like Apple did with the iPhone. turned a market on its head. those who didnt react quickly failed.

so if the duopoly (thanks for mansplaining it hahaha) didnt work, someone would sweep in.

I see you have the Yellow Peril fear line as well. :)
They are certainly jumping the EV market that caught old car makers flat footed.
But their software still doesn't quite come up to scratch. I wouldnt count them out though.

perhaps the duopoly exists because software and devices are so mature it's hard to think of a new killer app or feature to add in.

kcwookie

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2003
I have a EU ID too. I wonder if I update with that and then switch back to my UK ID, what will happen. I have months left on a couple of subscriptions and as absurd as it sounds, I can’t even cancel them early and lose money to get out of them. So changing my Apple ID region wouldn’t even be possible for close to a year.
Since Brexit, the UK has not been part of Europe. I would wonder whether your UK ID would actually work? It may be no better than your American one.

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Many things in EULAs are not enforcable in the EU, as you can see here per an example with the redistribution clause. You can also ask an AI and it will give you similar answers. Here's one.

First, EU law gives users certain rights to use software they have purchased. These rights include the right to use the software for its intended purpose, the right to make backup copies, and the right to decompile the software in order to fix bugs or make other modifications.

Second, EULAs are not always enforceable. In some cases, courts have found that EULAs are so unfair or unreasonable that they are not binding. This is especially true for EULAs that attempt to restrict users' rights to use the software in ways that are not prohibited by law.

Third, even if an EULA is enforceable, it may not be able to prevent you from making certain modifications to the software. For example, some EULAs prohibit users from reverse engineering the software, but this right is protected by EU law.

As a result of these principles, it is often possible to legally change software in the EU even if the EULA says it's not allowed. However, it is important to consult with an attorney to make sure that your specific modifications are legal.

Here are some specific examples of when you may be able to legally change software in the EU even if the EULA says it's not allowed:
  • Making bug fixes: You are allowed to decompile the software to make bug fixes, even if the EULA prohibits this.
  • Making accessibility modifications: You are allowed to make modifications to the software to make it more accessible to people with disabilities, even if the EULA prohibits this.
  • Creating derivative works: If you are a copyright holder, you are allowed to create derivative works of software that you have licensed, even if the EULA prohibits this.
  • Reverse engineering for interoperability: You are allowed to reverse engineer the software to make it interoperable with other software, even if the EULA prohibits this.

You see, as an EU citizen, I can do plenty of stuff already and there is nothing Apple or you can do about it. My citizen rights are above any EULA. They can write in that EULA that I agree to let them cut off my toes and it will hold just as little weight.
funny how i give you an example of issues an Android bad app can cause and you thumbs down it.
it happened. it was real.

thumbs down all you like but it wont change the fact that bad apps exist and can wreak havoc to businesses and people.

your old "its legal to ignore EULA" is wrong. there are very specific cases when bugs that are critical or software is abandoned. that's it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.