Here Are All the Macs Compatible With macOS Catalina

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 3, 2019.

1. HVDynamo macrumors 6502

Although Apple doesn't call this out obviously, they typically support 3 years of OS's with security updates, so a mac that can only run Sierra today would still get a security update, but otherwise they do not receive bug fixes or any other type of update after the new OS is released. So after Catalina is released, High Sierra will still be getting security updates for another year, but Sierra is now out in the cold. So basically you still have ~2 years of secure usage once the first version that doesn't run on your machine is released.

As much as I prefer the 2015 design to the newer ones, it's a hard sell now because it is 4 years old already and that much closer to the chopping edge of support. But for the right price it would be a good deal. Unfortunately, you have to make that call yourself and decide if you think it's worth it. I'm not sure what your Mac guy meant by no one being able to update new OS's anymore after Mojave, that statement doesn't make sense. Most new versions of the OS have lost support for some older machines each year, and I don't see that trend stopping or changing in the foreseeable future even though I would much prefer to go back to 2-3 year long release cycles on MacOS.

2. MacPeasant123 macrumors newbie

I have HandBrake version 1.2.0 and it's 64-bit. On their website they list version 1.2.2 being available for download, so give that a shot.

https://handbrake.fr/

3. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

It sounds like your Mac guy tried to dumb it down for you and did a poor job of it.

Here's the deal:

Each of these operating systems has a set list of Macs that can run the installer for said operating systems.

For Sierra and High Sierra, your limits were iMacs and MacBooks from Late 2009 and onward; Mac minis, Mac Pros and MacBook Pros from Mid 2010 and onward; and MacBook Airs from Late 2010 and onward. So if your Mac was one of those Macs or newer, it could run macOS High Sierra (10.13).

For macOS Mojave (10.14), the limit is any Mac introduced from Mid 2012 or newer. Mac Pros from Mid 2010 and Mid 2012 were also allowed to run Mojave so long as they used an upgraded video card that Apple supported. If your Mac wasn't introduced in Mid 2012 or newer (or was a 2010 or 2012 Mac Pro tower with an upgraded video card), you can't upgrade to macOS Mojave.

For macOS Catalina (10.15), the limit is the same as with Mojave, except now Apple isn't supporting the Mid 2010 or Mid 2012 Mac Pro towers anymore.

I don't know what Mac you have, but if you do meet the requirements for Sierra/High Sierra, but not Mojave or Catalina, then you cannot upgrade past High Sierra (10.13.6). If this scenario describes you with your Mac, then you have one more year in which Apple will issue security patches for High Sierra before dropping support altogether. Being two versions behind you may already be experiencing software that won't support High Sierra anymore.

Similarly, if you are rocking a Mid 2010 or Mid 2012 Mac Pro and you happen to have upgraded your video card with an Apple-supported card, and are rocking Mojave right now, you will not be able to upgrade past Mojave on that machine. You will have two more years in which Apple will issue security patches for Mojave before dropping support altogether.

As for what Mac you should get to replace your current Mac, I'd buy as new as you can. The 2015 MacBook Pros are nice (save for the recall that was just announced on the 15"), but they're now three generations of processor technology behind (for the 13"; five generations of processor technology behind for the 15") and you will get to the point you're probably at right now that much sooner. I wouldn't bother with a 2017 MacBook Pro as it isn't any better in any regard than the current crop. If you want a decent deal on a new Mac, might I recommend you go here: https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac

4. Tech198 macrumors G5