Here comes Rita

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Fall may be here, but there's another tropical storm getting ready to make the bend around Florida and into the Gulf of Mexico. As of 3:00EST the Cone of Uncertainty for Tropical Storm Rita takes it very close to New Orleans. Not good...

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
This may sound callous, but I am almost hoping that Rita dumps a TON of rain on New Orleans, to reinforce the point that N.O. is well and truly screwed, both now and in the future.

Quite a few of the N.O. refugees who've come to Charlotte (a few hundred or so) have publicly declared their intention to stay here. There's no chance whatsoever of Charlotte ever being flooded (although Hurricane Hugo did put a beating on Charlotte back in '89).

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
History is doomed to repeat itself.

They'll need to reinforce the levees to Hurricane Category 5 strength, build geodesic houses to withstand a C5 hurricane and/or build houses on 30ft stilts, or every house comes equipped with a boat on rooftops.

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
Lacero said:

They'll need to reinforce the levees to Hurricane Category 5 strength, build geodesic houses to withstand a C5 hurricane and/or build houses on 30ft stilts, or every house comes equipped with a boat on rooftops.
Or we'll probably just rebuild them as they were before, and below sea level, so this can happen again and again and again.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Well, looks like NO is off the hook, but Rita is gonna be huge. Already a Cat 4 and looking like it will be a strong Cat 5 before it makes landfall. Two record breaking storms within 4 weeks! I've heard this trend could last for another decade or more. Wouldn't want to own property on the Gulf coast of TX right now :(

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Lacero said:

Let me ask you a question. How the hell do you test for a Category 5 Hurricane?

Nobody is stupid enough to ever say it'll stand up to a Category 5, because it's an open ended scale... Category Five Hurricane: Winds greater than 155 mph (135 kt or 249 km/hr)

My Answer for a quick simple test for a Cat 5 Hurricane: Lob a nuclear bomb onto the site to see if the structure will survive. :eek:

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
From the latest National Hurricane Center update on Rita:
"The reconnaissance plane will not be in the area of Rita until later this morning. However...satellite images indicate that the cloud pattern is typical of an intense hurricane with a clear eye surrounded by very deep convection. Initial intensity is adjusted upward to 120 knots at this time. However...objective T-numbers from both TAFB and the University of Wisconsin CIMSS are peaking near 7.0 on the Dvorak scale...suggesting winds of near 140 knots. I will wait for the plane to reach Rita to increase the winds further..."
So what they're saying is that officially it's got 140 mph winds, but it's looking like it's actually 160 mph...they just need to confirm it. They do forecast continued strengthening over the next 12-24 hours, but it should weaken a bit before it hits land, as the waters of the western Gulf of Mexico are a bit cooler. It will still be a big one though.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Cooknn said:
...Two record breaking storms within 4 weeks! I've heard this trend could last for another decade or more. Wouldn't want to own property on the Gulf coast of TX right now :(
If you can hold of a copy check out pages 78 & 79 in National Geographic magazine Aug.2005. They show two maps of the gulf coast region with storm paths marked out. One for the period 1985-94 and one 1995-2004 and sea temperatures for the period 1944-2004.
The sea is significantly warm in the second map period with significantly more storms. A worrying trend.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I had a premonition another hurricane was going to hit NO after Katrina and before NO could get back on its feet. This may be the death blow.

macartistkel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Portland, Oregon
Rita sounds really bad, this is terrible news.

I saw a show on National Geographic last night about the Netherlands and how a quarter of the country is below sea level but they use some great technology to withstand flooding of their homes. If people are so adament about rebuilding in New Orleans then they better spend the money to protect their new homes.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
macartistkel said:
Rita sounds really bad, this is terrible news.

I saw a show on National Geographic last night about the Netherlands and how a quarter of the country is below sea level but they use some great technology to withstand flooding of their homes. If people are so adament about rebuilding in New Orleans then they better spend the money to protect their new homes.
I'm processing alo ad of images from the Netherlands right now. Another thing that strikes me about the area (totally unrelated) is how much of the country is reliant on wind power. There are winde generators everywhere...

Any who.

macartistkel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Portland, Oregon
iGary said:
I'm processing alo ad of images from the Netherlands right now. Another thing that strikes me about the area (totally unrelated) is how much of the country is reliant on wind power. There are winde generators everywhere...

Any who.
What I meant speciifcally is how they build their homes on these concrete 1st levels that just rise up when there is a flood! Sorry it was a little vague! I just caught a little bit of the show between watching "Dancing with the Stars!" ;)

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
The projected path is still moving SW, but then again, they really didn't predict Katrina would hit NO until well after it had passed by Florida (it wasn't even in the "cone of uncertainty" for a while), so projections are always questionable. It's not good in any case: either NO gets hit again, further crippling the city, or Texas gets hit with just as intense a hurricane requring resources/help to be diverted from the other states. They may very well both happen...if Rita gets close to NO at all, the levees may break again (they've said that if as little as 6in. in 3 hours fell, they may fail).

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
iGary said:

Any who.
Spooky. As with my earlier post National Geographic Aug.'05 has an article on alternative power source and NL do have a lot of wind-farms. 20% of their power comes from them and many are owned not by large power companies but by the local people who use the power. There's a great quote about it being harder to disapprove of having a wind-farm built in your back yard when it's paying for your house.
I stole* the magazine from the coffee shop at lunchtime and once my pizza's done I'm going to sit down and have a read.

*It'll be returned.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
They're (CNN) reporting 73% of oil rigs in Gulf shut down and two nuclear reactors in TX being shut down. Reactors I wonder if we'll see gas $'s go through the roof, again.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
xsedrinam said:
They're (CNN) reporting 73% of oil rigs in Gulf shut down and two nuclear reactors in TX being shut down. Reactors I wonder if we'll see gas $'s go through the roof, again.
Yeah, WTF was up with that?

On day it was 2.59 and the next it was 3.80?

Get real.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Not at all and it could get stronger, now repeat after me George Bush, there is global warming, there is global warming. I wonder if George still believes what his MegaCorporations are telling him?

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I hate to say this but news executives are liking this. More ad revenue. :(