Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the debut of updated iPad Pro and iPad Air models, Apple has streamlined its iPad lineup with a range of devices available in different sizes and price points. The iPad Air now comes in two sizes like the iPad Pro, the ninth-generation $329 iPad has been discontinued, and Apple has dropped the price of the standard 10th-generation iPad.

ipad-lineup-2024.jpg

Apple's full lineup with starting prices:
  • 13-inch iPad Pro - $1,299
  • 11-inch iPad Pro - $999
  • 13-inch iPad Air - $799
  • 11-inch iPad Air - $599
  • 10.9-inch iPad - $349 (down from $449)
  • 8.3-inch iPad mini - $499
The low-cost iPad now starts at $349 instead of $329 because the ninth-generation iPad has been discontinued, but the 10th-generation model has A14 chip instead of the older A13 chip. All of the iPad models can be updated with additional storage space, which increases the price. The high-end 2TB 13-inch iPad Pro, for example, is $2,299, and even more expensive with nano-texture glass and cellular connectivity.

Apple introduced a new Magic Keyboard and an Apple Pencil Pro to go along with the iPad Pro models. The iPad Pro and iPad Air can be ordered as of today.

Article Link: Here's Apple's Full iPad Lineup With New iPad Pro and iPad Air Models

Orange Bat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2021
I think I’ll just replace my 4th gen 11 inch Air with the new 11 inch. I considered the 13 inch, but then I would have to buy a new Magic Keyboard at a whopping $350, and I really don’t want to spend that kind of money right now. And I just have no justifiable use case for an iPad Pro. But the trade in value is pretty good on my current Air so I think I’ll go for it.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Have to say, they have now got a lineup with much more differentiation on the tiers… on price, performance and features.

How it should have been a while ago. An iPad for everyone… and the icing on the cake is the reduced cost of the ipad Mini. Still the most underrated device… lets hope it sees some nice updates too when they come… an oled screen would be great for movies and eBooks.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Next up to buy is the new 11" Air.
No hurry, but before I get nothing for trading in my old iPad mini 5th gen.
I'm good with my mini 6th as 1st iPad awhile longer.

Etienooo

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2019
Coming from an IPad Pro 2018 12’9 I was really looking forward to the new Pro.
However, considering the huge price difference with the Air & the fact that I’ll be able to keep my Magic Keyboard with the Air, it would cost me about $600 to replace my model for an Air 256GB vs $1200 for a Pro 256GB.
Even though I really love FaceID & would love the function rows + lighter weight, it’s hard to justify spending that much more.

kerplunknet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2006
Which new iPad models use PWM (display flickering)? I, and many others, won't be able to use those, so I want to see what options are remaining.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
The 11" Ipad Air M2 is the iPad for the masses at its price of £599 and 128 GB base storage. Best bang for buck.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

[AUT] Thomas

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2016
Graz [Austria]
Apple at this point could be innovative and repurpose the mini to what it has been for many over a long time... a reading device... Just add an eINK Display on the back that supports the Apple Pencil. reMarkable has demonstrated this is a huge market that Apple is neglecting.

Could market that as iPad mini pro and go with an OLED screen on the other side... Could easily charge 750+ for that and it would still fly of the shelves.

Ken91

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2022
It should be a large iPad, a smaller iPad, and an iPad mini. No silly 'pro' or 'air' differentiation that doesn't make sense anymore, just make them all-powerful with great screens. Still, they've tidied the line up a little bit which is good but didn't go far enough. Also, does the new keyboard still have that awful silicone cover that attracts smudges and fingerprints?

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
No new mini. I am sad.
When they showed that the Air was going to get an 11-inch version, I was expecting there was going to be no mention of the Mini and it was going to be quietly discontinued.

But Tim did mention the Mini right at the end (well sort of, he acknowledged that it existed, and that's it).

I was all-in to buy a Mini if they announced it. But I am kind of interested in the Air now...

Orange Bat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2021
Coming from an IPad Pro 2018 12’9 I was really looking forward to the new Pro.
However, considering the huge price difference with the Air & the fact that I’ll be able to keep my Magic Keyboard with the Air, it would cost me about $600 to replace my model for an Air 256GB vs $1200 for a Pro 256GB.
Even though I really love FaceID & would love the function rows + lighter weight, it’s hard to justify spending that much more.
With this iteration of iPads I think you get the Pro if 1) You know you’ll use the features on the Pro, or 2) You are looking for a laptop replacement. The Air essentially does everything most people need or want from a tablet for a much lower price. And, yeah, the cost of the Magic Keyboard is keeping me from going from 11 inch to 13 inch. It’s not just the cost of the iPad itself, but the cost of the keyboard. I wonder how much this hurts Apple’s sales on upgrades?

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
  • 13-inch iPad Pro - $1,299
  • 11-inch iPad Pro - $999
  • 13-inch iPad Air - $799
  • 11-inch iPad Air - $599
  • 10.9-inch iPad - $349 (down from $449)
  • 8.3-inch iPad mini - $499

This is getting cleaner but the Pencil line is a complete mess.

Next step: update the iPad mini to be a variant of the entry level iPad so you have three tiers, each with two sizes:

Pro 11 | 13
Mid 11 | 13
Basic 8 | 11

The new iPad Air works with the Pencil Pro and the Pencil USB-C and the mini should work with the new charging mechanism so it'll work with Pencil Pro. The entry iPad works with the Pencil USB-C with no magnetic charging.

After the mini, they can drop the Pencil 2 and Pencil 1 and just keep the Pencil Pro and Pencil USB-C in the lineup until at some point they update the entry iPad with support for the new charging mechanism and the Pencil USB-C can make way for a basic magnetic charging Pencil without some of the frills of the pro. Still, what a mess they've got themselves into. Sheesh!

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012
Hmmm.. I can buy a 13-inch iPad Air AND an 11-inch iPad Air for only $100 more than a single 13-inch iPad Pro. I really have to think hard about whether I need the M4 chip, an OLED screen and 256GB of storage. As nice as they are to have… do I really need them - or want them, for that matter? The Pro’s weight savings are also very nice - but amount to just over a 10th of a pound in the case of the 13s and only 4/100ths of a pound in the case of the 11s. Will that make that much of a difference? I’m not trying to flame the Pro. But there are some legitimate questions for many of us here. Meanwhile, an M3 chip in the Air would have been nice. But, again, with iPadOS, do I need anything beyond an M2?

Etienooo

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2019
With this iteration of iPads I think you get the Pro if 1) You know you’ll use the features on the Pro, or 2) You are looking for a laptop replacement. The Air essentially does everything most people need or want from a tablet for a much lower price. And, yeah, the cost of the Magic Keyboard is keeping me from going from 11 inch to 13 inch. It’s not just the cost of the iPad itself, but the cost of the keyboard. I wonder how much this hurts Apple’s sales on upgrades?
After a bit more consideration my main reason to upgrade is the battery (performances could be better but are still decent)

The Pro is too expensive compared to the Air for what I’d get (don’t care about OLED & M4)

Meanwhile I feel like no FaceID would but a bigger annoyance than having to charge the battery twice a day.

It feels like there is no good choice here so I probably won’t make any and don’t upgrade until the situation change (my iPad dying or a good discount).

Quite sad considering how hyped I was for this gen.

The Magic Keyboard situation is a real mess and the main reason I’m not upgrading. They can’t keep selling a $350 accessory that’s only good for 2 generations at best.

Orange Bat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2021
After a bit more consideration my main reason to upgrade is the battery (performances could be better but are still decent)
Same. However, my battery performance has become annoying enough, and I’m fine going with the 11 inch Air, so I pulled the trigger and ordered (with a good trade-in offer for my 4th gen 11 inch Air).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.