Here's How Apple's New HomePod Speaker and iMac Pro Look in Person

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 5, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following the WWDC 2017 keynote today in San Jose, Apple invited members of the media for some hands on time with HomePod, its new Siri-enabled smart speaker and hub for controlling HomeKit accessories.

CNET has shared a gallery of HomePod pictures that provides a close-up look at the speaker, which looks somewhat like a smaller Mac Pro covered in a seamless mesh fabric. It'll be available in White and Space Gray.

[​IMG]

The top of the HomePod has a glossy finish with Siri colors glowing in the center. Since it's designed for home use, the HomePod doesn't have a battery, so it must be plugged into a wall outlet or other power source at all times.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, Engadget has shared a gallery of iMac Pro pictures that show the all-in-one desktop computer in its stealthy new Space Gray finish, accompanied by a color-matched Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse, and Magic Trackpad.

[​IMG]

Apple said both the HomePod and iMac Pro will be available in December for $349 and $4,999 respectively.

Article Link: Here's How Apple's New HomePod Speaker and iMac Pro Look in Person

2. RedGala macrumors member

RedGala

I'm waiting for a reckless youtuber to rip the fabric off the HomePod so we can see the internals

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Despite being a pro user with relatively substantial processing and graphics needs, I must admit that the new iMac Pro meets them quite nicely (and expensively). I would prefer to have those internals in a box sans display, however. I believe that is where the modular Mac Pro comes into play.

4. Nimoy macrumors member

It's a shame it's not portable. I love my Bose bluetooth speaker because I can bringing it to whichever room I'm in. I was hoping the same would be true for the HomePod!

5. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Interesting how the HomePod rumors were true in terms of the shape of the device.

The iMac Pro looks AMAZING. I have no need for that, but my 2010 21.5" is definitely lacking on a lot of this newer technology. Glad they updated the regular iMacs.

6. FactVsOpinion macrumors 6502

Finally, the dark keyboard. White one looks tired now, and gets really grubby looking quickly.

7. McScooby macrumors 6502

Siri does HAL, I'm afraid I can't do that Dave!:)

8. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

It's not a bad looking design. But I'm immediately turned off by the all-fabric enclosure. Regardless of whether you get black or white, this thing is going to be very hard to clean, and will definitely show dust, even with regular maintenance. I wonder if the enclosure can be completely removed to wash -- that would improve things considerably? I'd prefer something more like the Harman Kardon Aura, which Apple used to carry in their stores. Its amazing actually how similar those products are, from a straight-up sound perspective. The HK reminds me of an early 2000s-looking Apple design.

[​IMG]

9. Atlantico macrumors 6502

Atlantico

It's been years, probably a decade since I was genuinely wowed by an Apple event. All those new Macs! Pro Macs coming.. with real GPUs.. It was like back when I was a youngling (sniff)

Awesome event, look forward to the iMac Pro and Mac Pro.

10. ccsicecoke macrumors regular

Black one looks sexy. White one looks like trash

11. Larry-K macrumors 68000

Why the 27"? Since you're stuck with it forever, I would expect at least 30", or the choice, like my old ACDs.

12. ktecac macrumors regular

iMac Pro looks excellent and is a strong return to the Pro market. I can't help but feel that forcing me to use that display is a rip off though.
    Not being totally ungrateful - lots of encouraging things today - but I really don't want to spend an extra $2000+ when I already have many monitors that suit my needs.

Lets hope the fabled modular Mac Pro and a return of the Mini are on the horizon.

I'd pay $3000+ for the iMac Pro internals - I just can't bring myself to spend the rest for the 5K display - not every professional needs it.

13. killr_b, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017

killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

What excites me most about today's release is the picture of that full-sized wireless keyboard. Yay! Finally

edit: oh snap it's available today, lol but not the space gray one

14. aaronhead14 Suspended

aaronhead14

I really want to know what a totally specced out iMac Pro will cost. Probably an insane amount for something so non-upgradeable...

15. potatis macrumors 6502a

potatis

Looks like a palantir or the evil eye of mordor. iMac Pro seems not so dark as the render. Should be like the MBP.

16. Swift macrumors 65816

Swift

It is portable. It plugs in, but you can move it to any room. It needs to plug in, though. A good speaker with enough woofer needs some real power. I withhold judgment, but the idea of a Sonos-quality speaker with voice command and Siri 1 is interesting.

17. levitynyc macrumors 65816

$349 for the speaker is ridiculous.

The regular Echo can be had for $149 and the Echo Show which has a goddamn screen and speaker is $249.

18. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

So what happens when you are in the same room with a HomePod and lots of other iDevices when you say Hey Siri.
    Which answers?

19. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

$350 and HomeKit at its infancy vs the other services, looks like it will be a dust magnet with that mesh and looks older vs the competitions I don't think it's going to be a hit at that high a price point just because it sounds better , but we shall see.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 5, 2017 ---
    Don't forget the tap that is movable w battery at $99 and the dot for $50

20. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

If HomePod is on par with Sonos, it's not a ridiculous price at all. Actually, it's a bargain.

21. MikeySmiles macrumors newbie

MikeySmiles

It's called "Home"pod, yet my "home" centers around my Apple TV. So can I "rock the house" when watching movies on AppleTV? Please tell me there's Apple TV integration? Please please please......

22. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

All of them

23. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502

mcfrazieriv

Always amazed at what people compare.

While we're at it.

[​IMG]

24. mabhatter macrumors 6502a

Weren't we just laughing at Microsoft Surface Notebook for the whole fabric on electronics thing last week?