Here's How iOS 11's Do Not Disturb While Driving Feature Works

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 30, 2017.

1. nt5672 macrumors 65816

Jun 30, 2007
    Sure I have thoughts, you would need to wake up and realize what is really going on the world to understand them.

1. Irresponsible people kill innocent people all the time. We will never live in an environment where this does not happen. Life is not without risk. This is also natural and has been the case since humans evolved and will always be the case even if we get the nanny state you desire.

What does this mean? It means that it makes a great excuse to remove freedoms and control the population in return for no real increase in safety. In fact, safety will be decreased, see below.

2. Rather than limit what responsible people can do, there should be real punishment for irresponsible people.

Even when we put people in jail, that is not punishment because they get cared for 24 x 7. Sure, you or I would not relish being in jail, but most criminals don't mind. They don't have to work and they are fed 3 good meals per day. For a lot of criminals that is a better life than they have on the outside.

Add to that the fact that most jails have full access to drugs, sex, etc. and one has to ask, Is it really a punishment? No its not!

Instead, we live in a political correct society that forces us to treat the criminals that could care less for innocent people's lives like they are special and should be given a free ride while the rest of us work our tails off.

If there was really a deterrent, then a lot of irresponsible people would suddenly become responsible without any need to limit what responsible people do.

If a 16 years old new driver kills someone because they are texting, then they should be tried as an adult and put in jail. Let that happen a few times and word will get around, believe me. Problem solved, the right way.

Your line of thinking, which is limiting the technology because it MIGHT be misused, is to teach people that if the technology allows them to do it, then its ok. This teaches people they don't have to think. This teaches people they don't have to have common sense. This teaches people they do not have to have morals. This teaches people they do not have to consider the results of their actions. Why? Because if something happens it is now the fault of the device.

And oddly enough this is how kids are raised today.

Making more restrictions will never fix what you see as the problem because it does not teach people to be responsible. Irresponsible people will always find other ways to be irresponsible because, as a politically correct society, we place no responsibility on individuals to know and understand the environment they live in. Today, it is always someone else's fault; some corporation, some operating system, some device, etc.

If we don't stop this insanity, then we will all live in padded rooms. Why? Because that is the only way to protect the children.
  2. WatchFromAfar macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2017
    Lets see:
  3. nt5672 macrumors 65816

Jun 30, 2007
  4. macsba macrumors 6502

Jan 5, 2015
    Next to my Mac.
    An Obituary printed in the London Times…….. Interesting and sadly rather true

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as: Knowing when to come in out of the rain; Why the early bird gets the worm; Life isn’t always fair; and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don’t spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an Aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn’t defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife, Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers;
    I Know My Rights
    I Want It Now
    Someone Else Is To Blame
    I’m A Victim

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing
  5. nt5672, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017

nt5672 macrumors 65816

Jun 30, 2007
    Unfortunately, I like everyone else, have to live life as it is served up, good or bad. So do you, regardless how good it makes you feel to put restrictions on everyone else.

See post #126.

--- Post Merged, Jul 1, 2017 ---
    I am to. No way do I want more accidents and anyone that suggests that is lacking something.

But I would wager that the person that was texting never received any real punishment. If they did, then the world is better. But if not, this teaches people that texting is OK. Handicapping the technology does not fix this problem. It is just a bandaid to make people feel better. Unfortunately, today, critics feeling better is more important than actually fixing the problem.
    Really, you think any sane person thinks like this? I want to fix the real problem, not bandaid over it. Which is what simple minded people do so they can sleep better at night without really having to spend any real effort on the real problem or coming up with a real solution.

Especially when that real solution might point to their own lack of responsibility for their own actions.
  6. bobob macrumors 68030

Jan 11, 2008
    Watch for the inevitable teen horror movie using this feature as its plot device:

Do Not Disturb

"No one can warn you now!"
  7. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

Aug 15, 2009
    Every single day we humans prove how stupid we are. Sadly, this kind of thing is needed.
  8. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Dec 2, 2007
  9. lkrupp macrumors 6502a

Jul 24, 2004
    As I recall the news Apple is being sued by the parents of a teenager who died in a car crash while texting on her iPhone. They claim Apple was negligent for not having this feature and that their daughter would be alive if it had. Weird logic but that’s how people shirk personal responsibility.
  10. spazzcat macrumors 68020

Jun 29, 2007

It will ask you if you are passenger if your phone is locked. If you have your phone already unlock it doesn't lock it, so for example, if you waze running it doesn't lock you out of it.
  11. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

Sep 20, 2008

I am to. No way do I want more accidents and anyone that suggests that is lacking something.

But I would wager that the person that was texting never received any real punishment. If they did, then the world is better. But if not, this teaches people that texting is OK. Handicapping the technology does not fix this problem. It is just a bandaid to make people feel better. Unfortunately, today, critics feeling better is more important than actually fixing the problem.[/QUOTE]

My point was more that I, a victim of someone without common sense or self control (or whatever you want to label it), don't feel that I was an idiot deserving death in some perverse/inverted Darwinist philosophy as made in your blanket statement last two lines.

I think if you polished that portion of your post slightly (or removed it) others would have understood your point (as you clarified, above).

Man, I'm not the religious type, but I don't think any of us are worthy of casting the first stone. The young woman who hit me in the car shouldn't have to die, either, just because she was texting. I wouldn't want that even if myself or the driver of the vehicle I was in had been killed.
  12. KiwiAdventure macrumors 6502a

Dec 7, 2010
    New Zealand
    Every country in the world crash rate road deaths have been going up over the last 3 years and why is this? To many distractions going on inside the car. Apple should never of developed Car Play.
    An accident happens in a split second of time so stay alert and keep your eyes on the road ahead.
  13. zkadda Suspended

Jun 21, 2017
    The most sane decision we can make (and I very much doubt anyone will) is to put a nice lump hammer right through their smartphone and "smart watches", multiple times until they're a pile of recyclable fragments, and then invest in an old Nokia 3510i.
  14. DogHouseDub macrumors regular

Sep 19, 2007
    Have you met "we"?
    If the laws of physics could be altered to selectively kill only the idiots, all would be fine. If you already have the self control to stay focused on the road, this won't affect you one bit.
  15. mvray macrumors newbie

Aug 19, 2015
    Unfortunately, teens are mostly using other messaging app's. Rather than iMessage. I don't think this will disable those other app's.
  16. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

Jan 5, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    I use my phone to stream music while I'm driving, so off doesn't work. I guess I could just turn on DND, but this is even better since it can inform others that you are driving and you can catch up once you arrive at your destination.
  17. meerkat1990 macrumors member

Dec 14, 2016
    I am absolutely, categorically against this and any other brain-dead feature that might be used by the government to enforce behaviors. While I understand the reasoning, do people really think distracted driving just became a thing because of phones and texting? I really dislike this "nanny state" sort of mentality. Potentially inconveniencing people in the name of preventing them from harming themselves or others is not something I want my phone to do.

It's bad enough cars with passenger navigators have to pull off the road to update the GPS destination in cars because some solo drivers try/tried to interact with the GPS while driving and had a poor outcome. And every time they come up with a new way to restrict it, the Internet finds a way to defeat it.

If Apple wants to add such a feature, fine but I never want it on by default and I don't ever want it turned on permanently by some idiotic NE or CA legislature.
  18. Macaholic868 macrumors regular

Feb 2, 2017
    I don’t see a problem. This is an optional feature.
  19. Muzzakus macrumors regular

May 23, 2011
    Why not just provide on device CarPlay? The ability for android phones/tablets to flip into full fledged Android Auto devices is a killer feature that's making me consider switching.
  20. Rich74 macrumors regular

Oct 31, 2012
    You make that sound like it's a bad thing? Nobody should be texting / using their phone while driving, I don't care who you are.
  21. MachCrit Suspended

Jun 5, 2017
    Lurking About the Planet
    Apple is looking at this backwards-

I'd rather have the engine cut out and have the car do a “smart pull over” to the shoulder. The driver gets a two hour time out for texting, surfing or emailing while driving. If the car pulls off the road into The Hood- Too bad.

Kind of makes you wonder what is in store for self driving/enhanced driver aids car policy, eh?
  22. SeaFox macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2003
    Somewhere Else
    I never anything about predictability. I'm saying if you're having sudden chest pains you shouldn't be messing with your phone, you should be pulling over and getting out of traffic before you cause an accident.

Bonus: Once you've stopped operating the vehicle, I guess the question of "will this iOS 11 feature keep me from calling the paramedics" will be moot then.
  23. macintoshmac macrumors 68000

May 13, 2010
    Some might argue that that exactly is the problem.
  24. michelleeris macrumors newbie

Oct 27, 2007
    My car has a text to speech function. When I get a text message, I ca have it read the message to me. Will the iPhone still pass the text to the car if this feature is active?
  25. mattopotamus macrumors G5

Jun 12, 2012
    Even getting a message badge is distracting while driving, I have CarPlay, and I'm surprised messages is a feature.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 2, 2017 ---
    If you have it on, your messages will still send out that auto response. Everything else works the same.