Here's How iOS 11's Do Not Disturb While Driving Feature Works

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 30, 2017.

1. randyhudson macrumors regular

No you can't. Any teen would just use the car's menu to disconnect the Bluetooth to the phone.

2. spazzcat macrumors 68020

spazzcat

There are two ways to turn it on, bluetooth is one of them, the other is if you are going over certain speed.

3. Gameboy70 macrumors 6502

The main feature of DND is the autoreply, not the blocking of incoming messages—i.e., so the sender knows not to expect an immediate reply. Turning the phone off would also turn off navigation.

4. Tech198 macrumors G4

if your a passenger why would u be worried about a featured designed for drivers ... Your a "passenger" not a driver. Unless the driver picks up and veers off the road every time the phone makes em jump out of the seat.

That would be a problem. In which case I would see a doctor first.

5. thefourthpope macrumors 6502a

thefourthpope

You know, cars can hit other people.

6. thekeyring macrumors 68040

I would agree with you, but when stupid people text and drive they don't just put themselves in danger.

7. Pritz23 macrumors member

Pritz23

I you drive in the city you see most if not all young driver look at their phone at a red light. It is crazy. BRING BACK THE OLD SCHOOL DRIVING. NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PARALLEL PARK (UP HILL< DOWN HILL)

8. MacsRuleOthersDrool macrumors 6502a

Especially the spammers and Bill collectors...

9. erinsarah macrumors regular

Reading that makes me think of the incident a few years back near where I live when a woodchipper being towed by a pickup came loose on the highway and plowed head-on into a minivan, killing two of three triplets and their dad. The guy that failed to properly attach the chipper is still alive. So, while this anecdote doesn't doesn't have anything to do with Apple's new DND feature, it also argues that your comment is pointless and not even amusing.

So with that off my chest, here's my take. I have a 16-year-old daughter new to driving. she's very safe, and switches her phone to DND every time she gets into the car. However a)it's a manual thing she needs to remember every time, and with the flurry of snapchats she gets on a constant basis if she forgets to turn it on the phone would be a HUGE distraction. So I wholeheartedly support this and am looking to try it out because a)this automates the process, 2)this is an OPTION for iphone owners, (so all you naysayers stop whining) and d) no matter how much a parent trusts their child, you just can't possibly know what they'll do in the absence of parental supervision. So the parental restriction setup IMHO is the killer feature here (no pun intended).

The day a distracted driver hits someone you know (let's hope not) you'll wish the driver had used a feature like this themselves.

10. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

You will need to read the message to see who it is that sent you a message. You could ask Siri but in the end its easier to have an auto reply do it in the background without sending you a notification at all so no distraction. Sure, I could tell them I'm busy but that is not the point.

11. EdT macrumors 6502a

EdT

This is the reason Apple is doing this.

Yes, intelligent people either turn their phone off or don't answer text messages when driving.

But most states have had to enact anti-text and drive laws and people are still doing it. And some of the people being affected aren't the ones texting but the people-and property- the texting people hit.

This is like drunk driving laws- it doesn't stop all of it, but it does stop some. And it gives a better legal basis for personal lawsuits when a textor violates that law and causes damage, injury or death to someone else.

12. nt5672 macrumors 65816

Nope, I have to hope or wish that the driver was responsible and if not, that they go to jail. Life is a risk and the only way to avoid the risk is to stay locked up in a padded room with a caretaker that you hope is trustworthy.

What you are saying is that you would rather depend on the phone rather than make absolutely sure you teach your daughter responsibility. If she is old enough to drive, she is old enough to be responsible. If you can't trust her, if there is any doubt in your mind, then you should NOT be letting her drive. Period. That is what parenting is all about. But that would require parents to take responsibility and learn how to discipline and talk to their children.

What you are teaching her by depending on technology is that if the device lets her do it, its OK to do it. That is wrong on so many levels.

I know, I know, that we don't hold kids accountable because it is tough on parents and they make mistakes. I understand it is politically correct to protect the children at all costs. I understand parents have been told that they are a bad parent unless they take all risk away from children. But just because parents have been told that does not make it true and it does not help children become responsible.

13. Nunyabinez, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017

Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

I'm using the beta and I must have somewhere enabled this, because on my drive in to work today it disabled my phone and put a notification on the screen saying that DNDWD would prevent notifications from now on.

While I generally like this feature, I hope that Apple will give more flexibility over how you use it.

While one poster said they are distracted by their Apple Watch, I actually like my notifications. Since your hand is on the wheel, along the line of sight, just looking at the notification is not any more distracting than looking down at your speedometer.

I would like to have notifications still go to my watch, but be prevented from responding. If I see a text I need to respond to I could pull over and deal with it.

I just felt like I was blind (pardon the pun) while driving not being able to see notifications. I (almost) never respond to a notification while driving, and my phone is in my pocket so I don't deal with it, but I still want to see incoming messages, or at least the first line of them while driving.

14. pentidoes macrumors 6502

pentidoes

Make Siri hear better and I guess a lot less accidents would happen. :)

15. christogold1 macrumors newbie

christogold1

It would be great if turning this feature off somehow notified your motorist insurance and/or law enforcement. Without some sort of consequence for turning this off and hitting people with vehicles motorists will continue to use their phones as they drive.

16. Gameboy70 macrumors 6502

Theater Mode is your friend.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 3, 2017 ---
    It's basically a busy signal to let senders know the receiver is occupied. Once the feature is released, and the "you're not the boss of me" drama queens complaining here actually get a few of these autoreplies and see their utility, they'll find something else to gripe about.

17. meerkat1990 macrumors member

meerkat1990

Absolutely NOT! That's the last thing we need.

I'm amazed at how many people voluntarily plug those insurance company nanny plugs into their cars. Ugh! Does no one see how dangerous this is. It's bad enough the government is capable of monitoring almost anything without permission but you and others want to help them AND some big insurance company too.

SMH

18. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

If the screen is black how would this affect apps like Waze?
    Or will just the messaging app screen be black.

19. Dave FL macrumors newbie

If stupidity wasn't normal, people would use a 60 second phone call to decide what theatre to meet at, which movie, what time, where parking, and where they'll meet instead of a series of 100 texts. If texting goes beyond three rounds, I simply drop out with no further comment.

20. mostlydave macrumors regular

I wish it did hid the text messages and did the auto reply without doing anything else. Ever since I installed ios11 my phone now locks in the car even while playing music or listening to audible. I don't want or need to see texts while driving, but I do want to pause skip or change audio often, and having to unlock the phone every single time is more dangerous than getting text alerts I can ignore.

21. thefourthpope macrumors 6502a

thefourthpope

Everyone should learn on stick shift.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 6, 2017 ---
    That's a terrible feature. I hope you've reported it via feedback.

22. zarmanto macrumors newbie

The simple truth is, "common sense" isn't really all that common.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 7, 2017 ---
    Using Waze is mostly no different than before; the only difficulty you might encounter is that when you initially go to unlock your phone, it may ask you if you're driving or not. (Ahem...) Lie to it, and you're in.

23. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

It would just require iOS to communicate with Sync. Apple could deny this without being liable as long as their phone still have the capability. It is not a requirement that one company makes their software compatible with another company's. I just think the 911 assist in the sync software is a great feature in case I am unconscious after an accident.

24. mostlydave macrumors regular

I did report it, but I'm seeing the same behavior in the latest beta :(

25. Dbigg macrumors newbie

Dbigg

--- Post Merged, Jul 28, 2017 ---
    This had better be an opt-in feature of the system rather than a default. If iPhone cuts off my ability to receive calls when on the move, then I will drop iPhone like a bad habit and go with another cell phone company that doesn't try to act like a Nanny.