Here's how iOS 7 looks with all flat 3rd party icons

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by cleo1, Jul 19, 2013.

1. cleo1 macrumors regular

The change in icon size from 114px to 120px is meant to ensure that if devs don't update their icons asap, not only will they look antique but they will appear blurred as well. The apps (or icons, rather) pictured here have gotten a jump
    on the competition and provide a window into "what were they thinking" with the design of iOS 7. I think it's terrific.

Attached Files:

2. falconeight Guest

falconeight

3. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

So, your point is that it looks horrible?

I can barely differentiate between some of the icons and the background, because there's no depth cues signifying where the icon ends and the background begins. That, and no matter how many times I see it, the Mail app screams "I'm in a pushed down state" because of the reversed gradient.

-SC

4. binaryskies macrumors regular

binaryskies

So many colors and emails. It's too busy IMO.

Anyways, I'm hoping the next couple betas will include icon changes.

5. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

This perfectly illustrates what many of us have been saying since beta 1-- that icons and text need drop shadows (even if its a more subtle drop shadow than IOS6), to remain usable with all backgrounds.

For those that don't care for the colors, keep in mind that the op didn't invent these colors. These are the colors of the icons as they exist today; the op just removed the 3D shadows and/or gloss. In many cases these are the "official" application colors and are not likely to change in IOS7.

6. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

Which icons has the OP done this to; they all look standard to me. In my opinion, the stock icons do not mix with the nice 3rd party icons very well.

7. shenfrey macrumors 68000

I dont understand all this commotion with flat icons, I am using ios 6 and they look pretty flat to me.

8. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

At the same time, the background and arrangement of the icons was clearly intentional in order to have the icons blend in with the background. Even so, the icons are still easy to distinguish from the background. The background used in the OP is utterly hideous, but of course tastes differ.

9. Jab00 macrumors regular

Am I the only one who already noticed that they listened and added drop shadows to the app text?

10. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I feel really uneasy about ios7

I installed beta 1 with that bold default wallpaper - even now I'm struggling to like these colour hues.

They are verging on psychedelic.

I can appreciate flat design can come to life with colour. Designers have been working hard to steer away from the primary colour pallet these past 10 years or so.

Ios7 uses very strong very bright colours. Multiple colours mixing together and it looks a little intense.

That's my personal preference, I have no doubt it is a better os.

11. jonnyb098 macrumors 68000

They don't need depth cues with the new parallax gimmick. Hahaha. :)

12. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Thank god the gloss will finally be gone. iOS 6 apps that have removed it look so much better. :)

13. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Drop shadows may not be necessary if the "perspective" feature works as advertised. Just a thought...

14. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Excellent point. The human eye is really good at edge and motion detection. I haven't seen ios7 in the flesh, but I suspect the tiny, almost imperceptible, movements of the phone as you hold it in your hand will visually cause the icons to 'detach' from the wallpaper.

Personally, I've been thinking parallax is intended to make it easier to read small fonts (like icon labels) on a busy wallpaper: the background movement will make each character's edges stand out.

I think you're onto something. Parallax isn't just eye candy.

15. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

I don't think it helps much at all. Plus, many of us find the effect annoying or disorienting, and we disable it under Accessibility settings. What then?

16. jonnyb098 macrumors 68000

My comment was meant to be sarcastic. It doesn't do much for readability IMO.

17. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Okay. I get it now :)

But I'm still curious to know what purpose parallax serves. It can't just be a gimmick, surely? That would be sad.

18. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Agreed, gloss is soooo 2001

19. jonnyb098 macrumors 68000

Well really when you think about it a lot of the new animations don't really serve any function other than to show this new "layering" and "zooming" thats part of the new design language. In that regard it makes sense. But functionally its really adds nothing to ease of use. Im fully convinced parallax is a gimmick and I want someone to prove otherwise. It serves ZERO purpose other than to show it can be done.

As it stands now it slow things down since you have to wait for the stupid animations to finish before you can tap. Its like Apple is saying PLEASE LOOK HOW FANCY WE CAN BE WITH ANIMATIONS!!!!! PLEASE WAIT A FULL 2 SECONDS BEFORE TAPPING! This hopefully will speed up by the GM. If not, then it will be a step backwards in terms of quick use.

20. Vinamra macrumors regular

Vinamra

21. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

Exactly. Could not have chosen the worst and distracting wallpaper to demo your point....

22. Nyy8 macrumors 6502

Nyy8

That wallpaper was probably not the best choice to show off the icons. But either way, they look ugly imo.

23. cleo1 thread starter macrumors regular

The wallpaper is a giant Photos icon, so in that sense it is more organic than contrived.

24. wickettaker macrumors newbie

Actually had to scroll back up and see it. I gotta say I like how the screen looks! It does look psychedelic to an extent but it looks so much more livelier than iOS 6. I can't wait to check out the parallax feature with this sort of a screen setup!

25. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

Great.

So my choices are:

A) A usable interface that makes me feel queazy
    B) An unusable interface that is hard to look at

Rock on, keep this awesome innovation coming. Hey, all the new iMacs and Mac Pros have a built-in webcam! Maybe they should implement the parallax effect for 10.9? Just think, then they could get rid of the window drop shadows and make everything flat! Visual cues are for pussies after all.

-SC