Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mescagnus

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Apple could’ve charged $2,499 and still make a healthy profit. Maybe the second generation will at least get a $2,999 price tag if sales slide drastically. Apple Pro Vision, first generation or “Sucker’s Edition” as you can call it.

Why sell it for $2,499 or & $2,999 when we "suckers" have no problem with paying $3,499 – and the majority of us is happy with the purchase?

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
If that was the case then why not sell it for $2,000-2,500 where they could still make a profit? If they really cared about investing in the future or a quick cash grab they could have sold it for $1,500 and took a small loss.

Lots of companies take a loss on hardware to build up the userbase and sell digital products/services. Apple does it as well because someone with an Apple product is going to buy apps/games/movies/music or subscribe to stuff like iCloud+, AppleTV, Music, etc

Let's not pretend here. Apple wants to claw back as much money as possible. I'm sure they are invested in the product and will release future models but they definitely want a quick cash grab
They probably can’t make a profit at that price. Apple has always gone for a roughly 38% gross margin before taxes on all of their hardware. It has gone down to 35% and up to 41%, but has always been in that general vicinity, which can be seen in their financial statements year after year. After taxes, that 38% is considerably less. A rule of thumb when it comes to pricing is that you triple the cost to get the retail price. This isn’t just for Apple. It’s for any manufactured product. For example, if it costs you $5 to make a widget, an appropriate retail price is $15, which would automatically take into account other costs such as marketing, R&D, distribution, overhead, etc. Tripling this cost should have put the Vision Pro at about $4600. If I were to guess, Apple is probably taking a smaller profit margin on this than their other products.

People who aren’t familiar with hardware pricing tend to think that the cost of materials is essentially where the profit margin is calculated. It isn’t. Marking up a BoM at 38% would generally end up losing money. While not directly comparable, I can point to the movie industry. Say a movie company produces a movie where the cost of filming, paying actors, crew, etc ends up costing a studio $100 million. Marketing generally ends up being at least 50%-100% of the cost of the movie, pushing the cost to $200 million. Now you take the retailer’s cut, e.g. the theater or distributor, which tends to be about 50% of the gross sales. To break even, that $100 million movie has to make $400 million. As I said it is not directly comparable to selling hardware, but I use this as an illustration to show just how high hidden costs can be outside of the amount paid to directly make the product. For a movie, they generally have to make 4 times the cost of the film to break even.

When it comes to hardware, it’s roughly 3 times the cost of making the hardware to make a reasonable profit. It’s true that Apple tends to distribute its own products, but there are still costs to running retail stores or distributing their products to third party retailers like Best Buy or Amazon, who need to make their own profits.

ersatzplanet

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
The missing numbers here is the amount that Foxconn or whomever, makes this for Apple, charges them for making it. ALL modern electronics can't be viewed only by the cost of parts.

Reactions: Chuckeee

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
Apple had to reduce the price of the iPhone 1. In 2024 dollars that iPhone would cost $733 in line with the iPhone 15. So whether the VPs price are inline with their function, expensive to you or overpriced to you, it’s all how you look at it.
iPhone costs to buyers for the first several versions were dramatically understated. Keep in mind phones were heavily carrier subsidized at a cost of one or two year contracts in order to reduce the prices to where they were. Without the carrier subsidies, that original iPhone would have cost over $1000 easily. I don’t quite remember when carriers stopped subsidizing phones, but when they did, phone costs dramatically rose to where a flagship iPhone costs about $1000.

Reactions: Chuckeee and I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
iPhone costs to buyers for the first several versions were dramatically understated. Keep in mind phones were heavily carrier subsidized at a cost of one or two year contracts in order to reduce the prices to where they were. Without the carrier subsidies, that original iPhone would have cost over $1000 easily. I don’t quite remember when carriers stopped subsidizing phones, but when they did, phone costs dramatically rose to where a flagship iPhone costs about $1000.
That’s true, back in the days of carrier subsidies.

rukia

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2021
3500-1500= 2000 profit?

Buzzzzz wrong answer. That’s the raw materials cost. Maybe. But let’s assume it’s accurate it does not include cost of setting up a new assembly line or labor costs or distribution costs, and all that is after the R&D costs which are not free. That all adds up to considerable costs.

Or do you go into restaurants and complain about the price of a steak because you can buy a pound of beef for cheaper at your grocery store?

You’ve been around enough to know better.

The labor costs for assembly doesn't even capture the full picture because a new complex product like this will suffer from lower yield. The $3500 cost doesn't cover just the BOM but all the defective parts and product that had to be thrown away. Sales is also significant for this. They are allocating a significant part of Apple stores, located in expensive zip codes, and having well paid retail staff spend 30 min on each customer for free. The $3500 has to cover that as well. Then you have ongoing highly paid software engineers continuing to develop VisionOS, after market support, loss of value from no questions asked returns for people "renting" for free, etc. Of course the 1000's of engineers spending close to a decade in R&D has to be amortized over the life of the product line.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
The labor costs for assembly doesn't even capture the full picture because a new complex product like this will suffer from lower yield. The $3500 cost doesn't cover just the BOM but all the defective parts and product that had to be thrown away. Sales is also significant for this. They are allocating a significant part of Apple stores, located in expensive zip codes, and having well paid retail staff spend 30 min on each customer for free. The $3500 has to cover that as well. Then you have ongoing highly paid software engineers continuing to develop VisionOS, after market support, loss of value from no questions asked returns for people "renting" for free, etc. Of course the 1000's of engineers spending close to a decade in R&D has to be amortized over the life of the product line.

Perhaps. It should put to rest those assuming lower prices ahead for an improved avp or even a cheaper version anytime soon.

• Love
Reactions: SFjohn

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I think it would come as no surprise that the Vision Pro (or any Apple product for that matter) is sold at a profit.

As for the extent of that profit, I am guessing that it, like any other Apple product, is priced to maximise profits (basic economic theory). And if the rumours of the Vision Pro being supply-constrained at launch due to limited supply of the 4k lenses, then it makes sense to price it at a point where demand meets supply.

Otherwise, make it too cheap and Apple leaves money on the table. Charge too much and nobody wants it. While we may see a price drop with Gen 2, I am personally not expecting that much of a reduction. It is still an impressive piece of hardware, and products are typically priced based on the perceived value to the end user, not necessarily just the raw cost of materials that went into constructing it.

Apple isn't run by idiots, and their motives aren't really that hard to fathom if we spend more than a few seconds thinking about it, rather than posting knee-jerk reactions online about how Apple is so greedy and profiteering.

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
They are hand-made of highest quality materials by artisans. If you cannot fathom the price of Hermes, you are not their demographic. If you cannot stomach the price of Apple Vision Pro, you are not their demographic either. On its technical merits, Apple Vision Pro is very reasonably priced.
Reasonableness is in the eye of the buyer. It is priced at whatever the market will bear. If there are enough buyers in the market at that price, whether it is $3,500 for the Vision Pro or $150,000 for Hermes furniture, then that is the price that they will sell it for, regardless of how much it costs to produce. If Apple loses money on it, then they will adjust. If Apple makes a killing on it, the shareholders will be happy for about 10 minutes and then want more.

I don't understand the greed critics. Everyone is greedy, everyone has their hand out whether it is a Fortune 500 company or a small non-profit. Money makes the world go 'round.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States

When the iPhone originally launched, it required a 2 year AT&T contract (in the U.S.) but that "requirement" was dropped by the end of 2008. After that, iPhones were available at contract and no-contract prices. Contract became a "bad word" by 2017 or so but carriers today still "subsidize" phone purchases through things like inflated trade allowances spread over 24 to 36 months.

Reactions: tobybrut

MUIGoku

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2021
It's hard to know if they made any profit at all without knowing how much they spent in R&D.

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
When the iPhone originally launched, it required a 2 year AT&T contract (in the U.S.) but that "requirement" was dropped by the end of 2008. After that, iPhones were available at contract and no-contract prices. Contract became a "bad word" by 2017 or so but carriers today still "subsidize" phone purchases through things like inflated trade allowances spread over 24 to 36 months.
Yes, there are some trade-in allowances that companies offer these days that sort of look like carrier subsidies, except you have to trade in a phone to get it. A bit over a year ago I got a $900 trade-in allowance for purchasing a Samsung ZFold 4 by trading in an iPhone X. Not surprisingly, 2017 happens to be when the iPhone X came out at its introductory price of $999 if indeed 2017 was the year that all carrier subsidy plans were essentially dropped. My first iPhone was the 3G version, which if memory serves, was around $400’ish including subsidy on a two-year plan. The $400 seemed cheap, but the subsidy hid its true price.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
I don't forsee in 5-10 years that apple will be selling an $899 MacBook Air with a 60hz LCD screen and 8gb ram, but we could both be very wrong.

Would you have even foreseen five years ago that they’d be doing that in 2024‽‽‽

rukia

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2021
The suggestion that R&D would justify a retail price three times larger than the components cost is ludicrous. R&D is a very small part of Apple costs and in the last few years it hasn’t grown at all (in fact I think it has gone down). Apple invests very little in research, and it shows in the lacklustre amount of innovation we saw in the last few years. Vision Pro is no exception, there is very little in the realm of innovation, and it’s best quality are the displays that Apple doesn’t design and doesn’t produce but just buys.

Restaurants operate with low single digit margins and barely stay in business. However, they will sell you alcohol with 10x markup. McDonald's will price gouge you on fries and fountain soda that cost pennies but franchisees don't seem to make Meta sized margins. Speaking of margins Meta is making zero to negative margins on their Quest line yet their corporate margins seem obscene. Perhaps it's better to understand that a business has numerous components that may be synergistic with carefully calculated gains and losses that offset one another. That being said the ASP for the Vision Pro is nowhere near "ludicrous" when you factor in all the costs and it's probably below Apple's target margin at the corporate level. It's impossible to derive a "right price" from R&D or any other single component.

Last edited:

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Yes, there are some trade-in allowances that companies offer these days that sort of look like carrier subsidies, except you have to trade in a phone to get it.

Yes, many carrier deals require trade-in to get the "subsidy" (inflated trade amount) but not all. For example, you can get a new 128GB iPhone 15 Plus through AT&T for under $400 (retail price is $929) with savings spread over 36 months and no trade-in required.

Reactions: tobybrut

ender78

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Apple invests very little in research, and it shows in the lacklustre amount of innovation we saw in the last few years. Vision Pro is no exception, there is very little in the realm of innovation, and it’s best quality are the displays that Apple doesn’t design and doesn’t produce but just buys.
Thanks for one of the most ignorant posts in this thread. Apple work with partners to produce amongst the most efficient CPUs on the planet. Do you think that Apple just sent an email to Sony and said send us the best mini display you have. You think it's a co-incidence that these AVP displays have not been seen in any other headset? Apple invested around 28 Billion dollars in RD in 2023 Alone. What do you consider "very little" in research.

Reactions: Mescagnus

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
Wait till you guys find out how much the BOM for a can of soda is…
I suspect the can costs more than the soda inside of it. For fountain sodas, I’ve heard the cost is about 2-3 cents per cup (16-24oz). That’s probably why free unlimited refills are so easy for restaurants to have.

Silver78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2013
Denmark
Other companys with app/game store most often sell their devices with minimum profit.
Apple wants the whole cake and the cherry.
I quit upgrading my apple products so often and put my money in stock instead.
I say let apple burn (even my stock will take a loss)
Problem with stock companies are that they are too greedy.
Take a look at how a company like valve behave opposite apple are willing to share happiness with their customers.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
That doesn’t include the considerable R&D. They have patents for this product going back 15 or more years.

There was some diagrams where a headset was connected to an iPod of the era. Imagine coming to Apple in 2005 and this shipping in 2024. More than half your professional career spent on a product that took almost 20 years to ship. Wild.

With Vision Pro it’s not so much about today, it’s about where it could be in 5 years, 10 years? Price will come down, but I don’t foresee this product line ever being a $299 iPad or $899 MacBook Air. A $499 Quest competing with the PlayStation during Black Friday, Apple isn’t going for.

What R&D? The majority of the R&D has been done by the other companies as the $500 Quest 3 can do pretty much everything the Apple Vision Pro can do.

Seeing that all the ground work other companies have done for Apple, there is no way in hell the R&D cost is $2000 per headset, as Apple didn't "invent" most of it.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
What R&D? The majority of the R&D has been done by the other companies as the $500 Quest 3 can do pretty much everything the Apple Vision Pro can do.

Seeing that all the ground work other companies have done for Apple, there is no way in hell the R&D cost is $2000 per headset, as Apple didn't "invent" most of it.
What an utterly ignorant take on how technology is developed.

You think sensor fusion capability just fell from the sky? You think the ability to push this amount of pixels just happened? You think the depth mapping frameworks and APIs just grow from trees? Apple has spent over a decade developing and rolling out everything that makes the AVP work right out in the open.

You think a product is just the sum of the components purchased from suppliers?

You could dump the exact components that the AVP is made up of but out in a table at Meta and they wouldn’t be able to make it work as well. Millions of engineering hours has been invested in the development that puts these components together to work. An OS working *in tandem* with a real time sensor fusion OS doesn’t just happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.