Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this year, Apple retested the batteries of its iPhone 15 models and updated its battery life claims for the entire series, suggesting that they offer better longevity than previously thought. Curious about the battery health of your iPhone 15? Here's how to check it.

iPhone-15-USB-C-Port-Event-Still.jpg

Apple in February 2024 updated the technical specifications for the batteries in the iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Plus, iPhone 15 Pro, and iPhone 15 Pro Max. According to its latest tests, Apple says that the devices' batteries are designed to retain 80% of their original capacity at 1,000 complete charge cycles under ideal conditions.

It's a significant improvement over the 500 charge cycles that the company advertises for all older iPhone models over the same cycle count.

iPhone 15 models also include a Battery Charging Optimization feature, so if you regularly charge your ‌iPhone‌ up at night while you're asleep, the device can limit its charging to 80%, and then wait for an hour or so before you wake up to charge the remaining 20%. This keeps the ‌iPhone‌ at an optimal capacity for battery health by reducing the amount of time that it's sat on your charger at 100% charged, which can reduce its life over time.

If you have an iPhone 15 with iOS 17.4 or later installed, you can get more specific information on the battery health of your device in the following way:
  1. Open the Settings app.
  2. Scroll down and tap Battery.
  3. Check the readout next to "Battery Health." For more details including your device's battery cycle count, manufacture date, and first use date, simply tap the readout. (In earlier versions of iOS 17, this information was hidden in the General ➝ About section of the Settings app).
iphone-battery-health.jpg

Apple says that the battery lifespan of any iPhone model ultimately depends on how the device is regularly used and charged. While the "Maximum Capacity" readout will give you a good indication of your iPhone's battery health, it's worth tapping on the blue text that says "About Battery & Warranty," which will give you more information on the likely battery lifespan of your device based on how it's used.

Battery life depends on a number of variables, but if you think you have an issue, it's worth remembering that the standard one-year AppleCare+ warranty on an iPhone includes service for defective batteries. Depending on where you are, local consumer laws might even give you cover beyond the standard 12 months, so don't be shy to ask at an Apple Store if you think there's a problem.

Article Link: Here's How to Check Your iPhone's Battery Health

Last edited:

Gooner49

macrumors demi-god
Jun 26, 2013
Chicago, IL
Launch day - 176 cycles at 98%. I believe I dropped by 1% in the last 10 cycles as I had 163 cycles at 99%.
No optimized charging and use the Belkin MagSafe 3-in-1 Wireless Charging Stand - 2ND GEN.

Picture1.jpg

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2009
When they first updated their battery life claims, my day 1 i15PM was still at 100% life. Shortly after that, it started to decrease. Currently at 97% with 104 cycles and only charging via MagSafe (mostly overnight).

Reactions: viktorhun

viktorhun

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2021
When they first updated their battery life claims, my day 1 i15PM was still at 100% life. Shortly after that, it started to decrease. Currently at 97% with 104 cycles and only charging via MagSafe (mostly overnight).
rip by 🔥

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
100% with 172 cycles on my launch day 15 Pro Max. Much better than my 14 Pro, which was catering toward 90% around this time last year.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
177 cycle counts, 100% health, on iPhone 15 Pro. Does anyone have me beat with more cycles and still 100%? I've consistently used the limit charge to 80%. And since I can charge at work at my desk, I rarely deplete battery below 10%.

detailsofmylife.net

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2020
London
Launch day, 15 Pro. 258 cycles and 97%. Most of the time i'm using the 80% limit option, unless I feel like I need 100% charge for the day. Only recently just dipped from 100% capacity.

KENESS

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2003
70% on my iPhone 12 Pro. Holding out until the new phones this fall!

Same, but 12 Pro Max and 75%. It's enough to really notice it, though. It also seems like the battery percentage stat is less reliable, and that it gets hotter, and more often. I can easily see those things being degraded battery related.

I'm definitely ready for the 16 Pro Max, but I just haven't been in a hurry because mine still looks like new. I've never used a case, just keep it in my jeans or shorts front pocket, and all by myself I'm remodeling a 5 story building I bought. The whole time I've had this phone I've been digging the basement down three feet, tearing out the floors, joists and all as well as ripping off the roof, trusses and all, REbuilding all of that, hanging hundreds of sheets of drywall, etc and it doesn't have a scratch.

Don't quite know how that... happened.

(Oh, and the screen has some slight burn-in as well at this point. But I really feel I got my money's worth!)

Reactions: Xavier

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
My 14 Pro is at 97 percent (14 months old). My 12 Pro is at 86 percent (about 40 months old). I guess I don’t use my phones as much as some of you guys. I wish Tim would add cycles to older iPhones, but I guess he had to squeeze out as many “exclusive” iPhone 15 features as possible.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
15 pro, 142 cycles, 100%
Nighttime charge on magsafe, daytime USB-C
charge limited to 80% unless I’m traveling.

This is definitely better than my previous 12. The battery also seems to last longer during the day.

iToph

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
Launch day 15 pro Max 225 cycles still at 100% with daily charge 100%

Attachments

• IMG_1660.png
    IMG_1660.png
    195.8 KB · Views: 321
Reactions: Tagbert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.