Here's my sole decider re the iPhone 7

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by danrichman, Aug 31, 2016.

1. danrichman macrumors newbie

If I can't simultaneously charge the phone and use the Lightning port for a corded headset, I will move to Android. It's that simple.

There are too many times at work when I need to be doing both. And wireless products just don't cut it yet.

So -- assuming the 3.5-mm jack is truly gone, that means there has to be either (1) wireless charging, or (2) some way to simultaneously put power into the phone and get an audio signal out of it, through the Lightning port.

Both seem doubtful.

How do others feel about this?

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

It doesn't concern me whatsoever. Ive been using iPods, iPhones and iPads for a decade. I have never once charged while listening at the same exact time. Never. With that being said, give it a couple of weeks until adapters are out. Problem solved. Who am I to say, but I think that is such a trivial reason to switch to Android.

3. itsray macrumors 6502

i'm sure there will be some sort of lightning/3.5mm split adapter

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Here is my criteria…

If it's fugly I don't buy it.

Well……looks like I won't be buying it.

5. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

Get ready in another year to never like a phone again...

6. danrichman thread starter macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Aug 31, 2016 ---
    How do you imagine an adapter could resolve this issue? A 2 female-into-1 male splitter? It would have to be capable of both taking in power and providing digital sound. Is that electronically possible?

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Yes it is possible. How is that any different than the lightning/HDMI adapter already on the market?

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD826AM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter

8. itsray macrumors 6502

not all the pins transfer power. only 1 does. so i'm sure they'll find a way right now its like this, there a lightning music docks that play music from your phone to speakers and power it at the same time....

Pin 1 GND Ground
    Pin 2 L0p Lane 0 positive
    Pin 3 L0n Lane 0 negative
    Pin 4 ID0 Identification/control 0
    Pin 5 PWR Power (charger or battery)
    Pin 6 L1n Lane 1 negative
    Pin 7 L1p Lane 1 positive
    Pin 8 ID1 Identification/control 1

9. rzc16512 macrumors regular

Android's headed that way too. Look at the new droid

10. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

There will likely be an adapter with pass through charging. At an additional cost. If you're like me you'll probably need more than one. On top of the price of the phone this is off putting.
    I do. One of my favourite hobbies is road tripping, camping and day trips exploring the back country. If I couldn't charge my phone on those trips (it's usually plugged in to the 3.5) I'd soon have no phone, music, podcasts, or GPS. that's just one scenario. I'd say it's a pretty good reason to switch (for me). Of course, there will be work arounds.

11. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

Granted it is an expensive option, but the Apple lightning dock has a 3.5mm port out, and obviously would charge at the same time. I don't know if you could use that where you work, but it's an option if you are able to use it.

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

You're telling me that every single time you are using headphones, it is also charging? I get 10+ hours of usage on my iPhone 6s every single day. I have never once needed to charge while using headphones. As I said, over a decade of 'music' devices and never charged while using headphones. Not once.

I don't know if I'm the rule and your the exception or your the rule and I'm the exception. Considering Apple has probably done years of R&D on this issue, I'm assuming I'm the rule.

13. ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

This lil guy would solve those issues for a mere $20. It would turn your corded headphones into bluetooth while you charge your phone. Same for allowing an auxiliary cable in a car that does not have bluetooth. Yes, it is $20. But I would much rather drop $20 on this than switch to android. Should I have to do this after spending a grand on a smart phone? That is debatable. But at the same time, Apple doesn't need to cater to my individual wants. They have the right to produce anything they want and I have the right to purchase or walk away.

https://griffintechnology.com/us/itrip-clip-bluetooth-headphone-adapter

14. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

What exactly do you mean by this?
    I use Beats Studio 2.0 Wireless headphones at work to listen to music for at least 5-6 hours. Heck, even recharging those doesn't take a long time. I dont charge my phone at work and leave with at least 55% battery after a full day.

15. LovingTeddy macrumors 65816

LovingTeddy

Good for you. I need 3.5mm in my 2008 Malibu while I am driving long distance and charging my phone while navigating. No headphone jack is big no no for me. I will stick with iPhone SE as long as possible. Then probably switch to phone with headphone jack.

16. Batman89 macrumors 6502

Nice.

One less person to deal with when pre-orders open up.

17. LovingTeddy macrumors 65816

LovingTeddy

I do. I am sometimes watching videos and charging my iPhone at same time. I am sure lots of people do that.

Bonus for you. I won't buy iPhone 7 if there is no headphone jack. Will not buy any phone without headphone jack

18. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Not to sound insensitive. But soon you won't be able to buy any phone then. 3.5mm headphone jacks are outdated technology. I give it no more than 5 years until all 3.5mm jacks are removed from devices. There are so many better ways to listen to movies and audio compared to 3.5mm. Even USB headphones provide better sound quality. There are two reasons why I see Apple is doing away with it. 1)Waterproofing. 2) For a better audio experience.

19. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Assuming there are any smartphones left which come with a headphone jack.

20. danrichman thread starter macrumors newbie

That does look like a workable option, though it gets terrible reviews. Thanks!
    That's a great suggestion -- though it gets terrible reviews. But thanks!

21. Gypsy36 macrumors regular

Yup, I have the same problems. And, if people really want to mock, I'll admit it - beyond the annoying feature of having to be charged, wireless earphones freak me out from a health perspective.

22. LovingTeddy macrumors 65816

LovingTeddy

I am willing to bet with you. Headphone jack will be there for the long run. There will always be smartphone with headphone jack.

People thought there will not be flip phone anymore. Guess what, there are still many flip phone. People thought there will no CD/DVD anymore, guess what, lots of PC still come with optical drive. People thought there will no tape player anymore, guess what, there are still tape player.

I can guarantee that, if I am looking for it, there will be somethings available. And I doubt 3.5 headphone will be history anytime soon.

23. danrichman thread starter macrumors newbie

24. techiebug macrumors 6502a

Of course Apple will be very willing to provide you a solution for $30: a splitter

25. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

What?? You asked me if Audio Out and Power In was even possible. I replied yes and posted this link, which proves it is possible. The adapter for 3.5mm/Lightning has yet to be made. But I answered your question by posting the above.
    Did I say removing 3.5mm was required for waterproof? No. I said its probably a reasoning Apple is using. Now they only have to waterproof one port instead of two. Probably why iOS 10 includes a lightning water sensor popup.

Yes, you do get better audio experience with Lightning over 3.5mm. Thats a fact. 3.5mm jack is analog, Lightning is digital. Digital will always be higher quality.

Not scientific, but it proves my point: http://www.macrumors.com/2016/05/09/iphone-7-lightning-headphones-hands-on/