Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Thank you for the correction about some headphones not merely being receiving devices. The only ones I have are only receiving, as they don't have controls on them nor take calls.

The RF concerns were not directed at you, rather at Gypsy36 that had close their statement with "wireless headphones freak me out from a health perspective"

I never said RF all around you does or doesn't matter. In fact I don't recall defining how RF works, just that it surrounds us from multiple sources. You seem to be making a lot of assumptions about what I am saying. Probably based on your agenda and a perceived agenda you think I have. Course I am assuming that.

The point I was making is that the extremely small RF energy transmitted by you pressing the volume control or the next song button is insignificant to the vast amount of RF surrounding you at all times. Insignificant to the point of not being of any health concern what so ever, given the far greater background RF we are exposed to.

The 1,000 watt figure was obviously pulled out of thin air. And the thing at the end of that sentence is a question mark, not a statement. I was asking what wattage your headphone transmits when you press the next song button. I could have said 10,000 watts or 100 watts just as easily. Obviously the sarcasm eluded you. The sarcasm was based around the very low RF output of any headphone, which is no where near 1,000 or 10,000 or 100 watts. I was basically making light of any concern that a headphone could possibly make to anyone's health, in respect to RF output. Not necessarily what they listen to.

I like most people post what pops into our heads. Based on lifetime of experience, schooling, and the total sum of our accumulated knowledge. When necessary I do research some things where I deem it appropriate to upgrade my knowledge about some topic. Oh, by the way, what research did you perform in answering me back in such a condescending manner. Or did you just post what popped into your head?

But you don't actually know what is and is not a harmful figure. Likely nobody does since this technology is still fairly new and health risks often times don't show up until years if not decades later. Bluetooth headsets have the ability to transmit regardless of what functions they have. Even YOUR headset transmits RF. How do you think you were able to pair it? How do you think the phone recognizes it each time you turn it on?

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
I can't remember ever charging my phone at the same time I was using headphones.

I also have and really like my Bluetooth headphones. I've only had an issue with them once where they were cutting out and I had to switch to the apple ear buds.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
But you don't actually know what is and is not a harmful figure. Likely nobody does since this technology is still fairly new and health risks often times don't show up until years if not decades later. Bluetooth headsets have the ability to transmit regardless of what functions they have. Even YOUR headset transmits RF. How do you think you were able to pair it? How do you think the phone recognizes it each time you turn it on?
If I described a way to save over 30,000 lives each year. That was not under any dispute, completely proven. Something we could all do tomorrow and begin seeing results immediately. Would that be something you could endorse? Something that wouldn't take decades to prove. Everyone stop driving cars, trucks, SUVs. Park em and walk, bicycle, or mass transit.

That is about as likely to happen as everyone giving up their phones, headphones, iPods, and iPads.turning off all Bluetooth and wifi. Even if we had proof that brain damage will occur and 30% of users will develope dymensia. We won't stop using our devices. We don't stop tackle football knowing these facts.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
If I described a way to save over 30,000 lives each year. That was not under any dispute, completely proven. Something we could all do tomorrow and begin seeing results immediately. Would that be something you could endorse? Something that wouldn't take decades to prove. Everyone stop driving cars, trucks, SUVs. Park em and walk, bicycle, or mass transit.

That is about as likely to happen as everyone giving up their phones, headphones, iPods, and iPads.turning off all Bluetooth and wifi. Even if we had proof that brain damage will occur and 30% of users will develope dymensia. We won't stop using our devices. We don't stop tackle football knowing these facts.

I have no idea what you're talking about, nor does it sound at all relevant to the discussion. You said BT headsets don't transmit RF. They do. Then you changed it to YOUR BT headset not transmitting RF. They do. This is fact and cannot be disputed.

What can be disputed is the health risks. I'm not saying it is or is not a health risk. My personal opinion is that it isn't, but I can certainly understand why some people may think it is. I don't know enough about it one way or another to say with absolute certainty. Frankly, neither do you considering you didn't even know that your BT headset transmits RF. All you have your is your opinion, based on even less knowledge then my own. Your opinion it isn't any more or less valid then someone who thinks extended use of this tech could pose a health risk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.