Here's what would make me purchase the iPad Pro

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macguy360, Jan 29, 2016.

1. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

I have been on the fence about buying the iPad Pro because of a few things. I can see it being a very productive device with split screen and the keyboard. However, there are a few concerns. Can anyone tell me if the following things are possible.

1. Charging: Are there any possible ways to charge the iPad Pro faster currently that have been tested and work (i.e. rmb 29w charger via usb-c to lightning, higher power usb plugs etc)?
    2. Is it possible to copy segments of an image or iPad screen straight from the web like you can via command+shift+4 on OSX (i.e. select an image and copy only the part of the image I want)?
    3. When working with split screen is it possible to have 2 word or pages documents open so one document is on one side of screen and the other document is on the other side of the screen?
    4. Is it possible to have netflix or other streaming player with a movie on one side of the screen and work on a document on the other side of the screen?
    Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions.

2. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

I'm also still on the fence. If I may.....

5. Can you have two different applications running at the same time?

3. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

1. Don't know.

2. No, but you can take a screenshot of the webpage, then edit it to clip the part you want.

3. Not in the same app. For instance, you can't have two Word Windows open at once. You can work around this by, for instance, opening one document in Word, and another in Pages. It's a pain, but doable.

4. Depends on if the video app supports PiP. If it does, then you get your video in a floating screen that can be repositioned, and you can continue working on other stuff while the video keeps playing. I'm not sure if any video apps works with split screen, as I've never tried that.

5. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

pretty much

spilt screen really is awesome on the pro

6. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

RE #3: This functionality could probably be added at the OS level, but that isn't how it SHOULD work. Running two full instances of, say, Word is not memory or CPU efficient.

What should be happening is that 3rd party devs should be leveraging the power of the faster SoC and larger screen to include multi-document editing support in their apps internally. This is far more efficient and would probably work better in terms of the interface. When I want this functionality in Visual C++, for example, I don't load two instances of the program, I just set up a workspace with two code panels side-by-side.

7. Capt T macrumors 6502a

#2 depends on the website. If what you want is separated already and not locked you can press and hold. An option will com up to copy or save the image. Some you can have the split screen open and drap and drop the image into the other app...just depends.

8. exanimo macrumors newbie

exanimo

What would make the iPro perfect for me:

File management system (never gonna happen)
    3D touch
    USB-C

iPro 2?

9. Restlesslegs macrumors member

Restlesslegs

- drag and drop between apps
    - 2 instances of 1 app open at the same time
    - font handling
    - and system-wide handwriting recognition - for f* sake, why else does that pencil exist?!?

10. AFEPPL, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016

AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Unless they release it in the 60" version I'm still going to pass...
    wait, that's a TV! yeah, still going to pass i'll stick with the Air and mini for a remote control device.

11. bensisko macrumors 65816

I use AnyFont.

Well, according to the advertising and most people's posted uses.... Drawing.

12. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

You are forgetting that this is an iPad, not a Macpad.. I love how everyone wants a Macbook in a tablet form. If you don't like the Pro, don't buy it. Just don't sit there and whine about how it doesn't fit your ideal product. Buy a Surface and enjoy Windows.

13. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

14. username: macrumors 6502a

Yeah the pencil is an artist tool, not to suit our weird obsession with inefficient stylus input

15. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

Looks like this is turning into a wish list

-Mouse/trackpad support. Maybe even use iPhone as a trackpad?
    -multiple instances of an app, like safari
    - better app management system like OS X (command center? Forgot the name, I'm talking about expose)
    -multiple full screen app pages like OS X. For example, four finger swipe between a screen with mail/safari and a screen with Facebook and messages.

In reality these things wouldn't be too hard to implement

16. bmclaurin macrumors member

bmclaurin

For me, the wish list is primarily comprised of mouse/trackpad support, better multitasking, and proper file management support. And then I realize that I have a MacBook :)

17. Restlesslegs macrumors member

Restlesslegs

Of course - because there is nothing else you can do with it right now... But I would love to use the iPad Pro as a "real notebook", write, edit, delete my PPT slides with what seems to be the best pencil out there, no need for any weird keyboard covers... THAT would make me buy one instantly. And it would make it a "pro" device (for me), as that's one part of how I make my money...

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You can't do this now?

19. exanimo, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016

exanimo macrumors newbie

exanimo

Why do you think 'file management = OSX'? I love the fact that the iPro is running iOS and I don't want it to run OSX. The fact that it's not running OSX is why I'm interested in it. I'm just saying for it to really make headway into the professional market, being able to transfer things around without workarounds would really help.

While I understand your concerns and reservations with a file management system, and know that the file management probably won't arrive, I think USB-C will surprise you. The fact that Apple endorsed it on the Macbook, dropped their proprietary port, and completely left out all other ports leaves me hopeful. It shows that even Apple cannot deny the flexibility, power, universality, and usefulness of the USB-C. The thing could legitimately replace all ports on all electronics; It can handle massive amounts of power, transfer nearly all types of data, and still manages to remain almost as small as the lightning port. In fact, I can even see it replacing the lightning port on iPhones at some point.

In such a large tablet that is supposed to unify iOS and the professional realm like Cook wants, it only makes sense to endorse the USB-C there too. It would help them connect it to Macs to be used as a drawing pad, it could charge the huge battery even faster, it would make it easier to display on projectors and TVs as well.

I think Apple is starting to realize that they have to make some sacrifices to gain more market traction. Why else would they make the iPhone+ or the iPro? They were following trends and it's been working out for them as more people are adopting Apple. Heck, I've never even considered Apple until they released this iPro and if they come just a little further, they'll have another customer (and I imagine many others like me) who previously wouldn't touch any Apple products with a 10 foot pole.

20. Robnsn2015 macrumors regular

When did Tim Cook say he wanted to unify anything? He just said that for "many, many people," all they need is an iPhone and an iPad.

21. bensisko macrumors 65816

I can do that right now. I edit my PowerPoint files with the Apple Pencil and the on-screen keyboard. Using the Apple Pencil to draw/manipulate shapes is actually FAR less frustrating than using the mouse on the desktop. True, no HWR, but the recent Office updates allows me to take handwritten notes in Word (haven't tried PPT yet) in Review mode - I did that a lot on the Surface Pro and I'm glad it made it over to Office for iPad.

Also, don't forget about OneNote if you're looking to take notes - it's absolutely wonderful on the iPad Pro and, dare I say, a better experience than the Surface. There are still a few features I miss in the full version of OneNote that I'd like to see on the iPad, but they're fairly minor compared to the core features I use.

Also - For me, the Apple Smart Keyboard is WAY better than the Surface Pro's keyboard... At least from a typing perspective. I do like the adjustable stand built into the Surface Pro, and the keyboard is far easier to quickly deploy on the Surface, but the Smart Keyboard on the iPad Pro makes it MUCH easier and more comfortable to type on my laptop (vs. the Surface).
    --- Post Merged, Feb 2, 2016 ---
    There's so much win in this comment!

I'm not against the idea of OS X on a tablet per sea, but I think there's a lot to consider when thinking about that. For instance, you would HAVE to use a stylus to navigate OS X - there wouldn't be a touch option because too much of the operation depends on a mouse to click on very tiny icons and buttons.

You're also totally right - Anybody who wants OS X on a tablet needs to experience Windows 10 on a Surface Pro (with a stylus) - and remember that Microsoft BUILT Windows 10 with Touch in mind (which is mind-blowing how un-touch-worthy Windows 10 is!). I don't want say "Buy a Surface and Switch to Windows" because I understand wanting a Surface with OSX, but it wouldn't be anywhere near the user experience on the iPad.

Not to mention... Windows Developers have had how many years to make touch-friendly apps and how many apps take advantage? Answer: Not nearly enough. Developers have not optimized their apps for touch. Even Adobe, who, 1 year ago, stood on stage at the Adobe conference with Microsoft CEO and handed out free Surface Pro's to attendees, STILL have very little progress in adopting their apps to touch/tablet/stylus.

22. Restlesslegs macrumors member

Restlesslegs

OneNote is actually a valid point - fur sure the closest to the idea I have in mind, thanks for reminding me... I would really like to completely get around the onscreen keyboard and smart keyboard... Honestly, I believe it's just a matter of time, maybe this happens with iOS 10 already, or Microsoft comes up with a solution on their own (their speed of distributing updates for Office is nothing short of amazing, MS keeps surprising me more and more, I have to say)... For me and my way of working (and creating content) using the pencil as a writing device (not a pointing or drawing tool) would simply be most natural and convenient...

23. bensisko macrumors 65816

I live and breathe by OneNote, so I'm always happy to extol it's virtues. =)

I'd say that you're right - it's probably on it's way in some way, shape, or form. Given that the tech has been in the Newton and OS X (anybody remember Inkwell?) on Apple's side and in OneNote, then Windows 8/10 on Microsoft's side.

I wouldn't be surprised if a developer takes the initiative and creates an HWR input as a replacement keyboard - though it would be a lot of work and the danger of being tossed aside once Apple releases a solution is pretty high.

24. Capt T macrumors 6502a

I use it as a real notebook. Have even marked up different file formats to send to others to fix. If there is a particular app that you use that you want pencil support in then email that developer, as it is on them to use the api in their app, not apple.

25. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

The thing is it took developers some time and I think one full version of iOS to really optimize things for the iPhone 5 and it's larger screen. Seems people have forgotten that and want the iPP to be perfect from day one. People, be patient. It is some killer hardware, we need to wait for the software to catch up. And all these wishlists out there for the perfect iPP experience is just as annoying as the IPP's perceived short comings.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 4, 2016 ---
    Apple endorses USB-C on ***OSX DEVICES***, not on iOS devices. They want you to use cloud storage, i.e. icloud drive for file management on iOS. You are missing the point here for the iPad. It makes no sense for them to use USB-C on an iPad. They like the control that even the new USB 3 Lightning gives them. I think you and all the people dreaming for USB-C on iPad will be sadly disappointed for a long time.