Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
Nothing beats the snappy response times of the os9 desktop!! I TOTAL JOY to use .
Spent many late nights on Wordperfect and MS Office typing up papers for school. Lots of Audio recording and editing too

I Got more stuff done and accomplished on OS9 than Sluggish OSX any day.

The whole OS fit on just 1 CD. 650 MB vs 12.5 GB for BLOATED and BUGGY Monterey and BIG TURD SIR..

I'll never get rid of a working OS9 machine and all my PRO software.

It may take longer to process audio and video back then But It was reliable and a real Work Horse.

Only the dreaded BOMB and FREEZE and restart happened once in a while.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I wonder if SheepShaver is still compatible with the latest MacOs releases. I used to experiment with it years ago when 32bit apps were still supported as I wanted to play Nanosaur again (although I couldn't make it work).
I used Sheepshaver with Mac OS 8/9 for a while. Found that it actually worked better under Windows than macOS. Specifically, playing the X-Files Game.

Adarna

Suspended
Jan 1, 2015
Oh I remember those days. But as i recall most were using dialup modems in those days so video conferencing was only available in schools and corporations.
You are correct. In the Philippines we only got 0.256Mbps ADSL by November 2000. That's over 21 years, 1 month ago.

But before that we had cable internet that has a throughput of 0.112Mbps. Good enough for VoIP.

Last edited:
Reactions: maxoakland

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
I didn't encounter many crashes on MacOS 9, especially with later iterations (9.2.x).

Howerer, I do remember these crash messages on older MacOS verisons, that didn't say much:
8177032_orig.gif

All you could, was just to scratch your head.

The best thing will old MacOS systems was, that you could manually allocate RAM memory to different programs with the option Get Info → Memory (yes, sometimes this could be fatal ;) ).

Anyway, I always used Virtual Memory too, like here:
6SVeKy5.jpg

Emanuel Rodriguez

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2018
This is peak UI design.

Edit: GOD DAMMIT APPLE BRING BACK THE PLATINUM DESIGN ALREADY!
Eh, there were a number of things they removed from that UI which made the UI better. Most obvious to me is the up and down arrows by the scrollbars. The practicality of those was never great. It was always faster to move the scrollbar by dragging them, or use a scroll wheel. Also, the ability to hide scrollbars was a huge improvement as well, especially given the ubiquity of scroll wheels and trackpad scrolling.

I think the general look was great and would still work today, but it wasn't what I would call "peak" design.

Reactions: Toine Hekman

zemoleman

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
Yonkers, NY
I still run OS 9.2 on my PowerBook G3, 4+ rows of inits at startup. One of my favorite OS iterations, relatively stable, at the time tight and fast. Had to fire it up this past Fall to help a former student recover files from an old Apple hard drive. PopwerBook SCSI adapter, 10/100 Ethernet and FireWire PCMCIA cards, swapped battery for 30GB hard drive, ah those were the days. I was able to configure TCP/IP with my modern internet connection and was even able to configure Outlook for email so I could email the files to the "kid". I was really surprised it still worked in this day and age. Actually bought it on the floor at MW SF in 1998 (99?).
IMG_6742.JPG

Last edited:

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I HAVE THEE LARGEST OS9 software collection on the planet.
cool!
i could hav use your collection and created a barter enhance several years ago.
definitely hold onto that!
i wish i kept the apps for g4 touch  TV and Mountain lion from 2012.
very soon us Mojavians and other real computer users will need to eliminate our icloud
and use something else like firefox to sync our better  oviducts from the pre 2013 era.

TheralSadurns

Cancelled
Jul 8, 2010
Notice how the interface is not rainbow vomit and how it focuses on content.
It’s something that died with the introduction of flat over the top saturated UI elements.

I wish Mac OS would allow users to theme or at least to provide the Aqua interface alternative.
100 times this.
I really hated the Platinum UI... altho this is mostly because of the different approach to multi-tasking, the different approach to the "traffic lights", no Exposé, etc..
Aqua, however, especially from 10.3 onwards was the BEST.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
It’s something that died with the introduction of flat over the top saturated UI elements.

I wish Mac OS would allow users to theme or at least to provide the Aqua interface alternative.

I think the modern versions of macOS look FAR better, and that many people mistake nostalgia (which I also have, don't get me wrong) for automatically better. It's the same rosy retrospection fallacy where people say "Ah, the [insert your favorite decade here] were far simpler, happier times" etc. Or, conversely, the fallacy of assuming that just because something is new, it must be inferior to what came before. You often see this demonstrated when a new macOS version is released - a flood of complaints about how they've "ruined" it etc., but then (most) eventually get over it and change their perspective.

mzeb

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
Still have my 233MHz Rev B iMac and I'll tell ya, booting into the classic MacOS is dangerous. Apple decided that the machine was stable enough that it didn't have a reset button. You had to insert a bent paperclip into a tiny hole near the ports. Its was literally their worst idea ever...

Reactions: Dustman

Kissmo1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2021
I think the modern versions of macOS look FAR better, and that many people mistake nostalgia (which I also have, don't get me wrong) for automatically better. It's the same rosy retrospection fallacy where people say "Ah, the [insert your favorite decade here] were far simpler, happier times" etc. Or, conversely, the fallacy of assuming that just because something is new, it must be inferior to what came before. You often see this demonstrated when a new macOS version is released - a flood of complaints about how they've "ruined" it etc., but then (most) eventually get over it and change their perspective.
Not at all.
No nostalgia - I finish the day at work and my eyes are dead.
I don’t hate the new UI - I find it extremely straining on the eyes.
I miss those less saturated UIs.

Reactions: Romain_H

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
My wrist is twitching at the memory of the puck mouse
LOL..Yes...I remember that..

nostalgia in our human brains only remember the good things about any OS or old program.

For me..Snow Leopard. I still use it for older programs. :)

Nice to see the old OS...memories.

Reactions: jackoverfull

saudade

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2015

Funny cause ‘aqua’ was considered ’rainbow’ in that time, u know what i mean?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.