Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kzoojason76

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
From the apple system status page:

macOS Software Update - Issue​

Today, 1:00 PM - ongoing
Some users are affected
Users may not be able to download macOS Software Updates on Mac computers. The issue is currently being investigated.

kzoojason76

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
1605217109388.png

Reactions: RobbieTT

GumaRodak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2015
I have tried to update, the update download stopped at smtg like 4gb. Now it showing some errors and wont continue, tried restart and computer is like on slowmotion from that time .. and update showing errors :)

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
An interesting thought, and I’m sure it could be done at some point, but my thoughts are should it be done. As a Logic Pro user, the limitations for iPad that come to mind is (1) working with a single USB-C port, (2) touch gestures would be a nightmare except, maybe, on a 12.9 iPad Pro and (3) LP is written for macOS. While the new M1 machines allow running iOS/iPadOS apps on a Mac, going the other way is a different matter.
Well that is if you want to do A to Z on iPad....I am not talking about doing your entire LP work on iPad....for example, save your existing work done in Mac on iCloud, take your iPad outside with a short MIDI keyboard or drumpad, add some beats or chord on the road and add that to the previous work, or add some natural noise from outside.... possibilities are endless....

Reactions: imnotthewalrus

trip1ex

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2008
Never understood the fascination (evidenced here) with the very exact time a new OS version is available.

It’s not as if its a limited download first come first served, and often I wait a couple of days or more once the server traffic has calmed down and there’s reassurance the update doesn’t break something significant.
it's called filler.

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
Do not upgrade your Fusion Drive Mac to Big Sur. After the Mac reboots, the Fusion Drive falls into two parts (SSD and HDD), and the upgrade fails. At that point, you have to rebuild your Fusion Drive from the recovery mode using Terminal and command tools. Then, you have to install Big Sur from scratch and restore all of your Applications, Files, and Settings from a Time Machine backup.

Just finished talking to Apple Support.

1. The guy didn't know anything about the problem with upgrading Fusion-Drive Macs to Big Sur.
  2. When I asked him to look it up, he found multiple reports of other users reporting this problem.
  3. When I asked him if he would recommend that I hold off on the upgrade of a 2014 5K iMac with Fusion Drive to Big Sur, he said that he would indeed recommend that I hold off.
  4. When I asked what he is going to do with my call, he said he would create an internal case and send it to the developers.
  5. When I asked if he thought Apple would fix this problem with the next dot update to Big Sur, he said it was very likely they would.
  6. When I asked if there is a way to tell whether or not the next dot update to Big Sur will include a fix for the Fusion-Drive Macs if Apple doesn't specifically mention it in the Release Notes, he said I should wait for the next dot update and call Apple Support to see if they can confirm that the release includes a fix for this problem.

At this point, I would strongly advise anyone not to upgrade to Big Sur and wait for a fix - that is unless you are willing to rebuild Fusion Drive and install Big Sur from scratch and then restore all the applications, files, and settings from a Time Machine backup. But even to those who are so adventurous, I would still advise against doing it yet because there are other reports on the web about older Macs not being able to install Big Sur from scratch and getting bricked (mostly 2013 and 2014 MacBook Pros, but who knows if this affects iMacs and Mac Minis as well?.

slothinker

Contributor
Nov 28, 2012
I like the upgrade but it sure is disappointing that for so many apps, Quit doesn't mean quit. On my system for many apps nothing happens until a Force Quit is used. This is true of Preview (which has many other problems such as refusing to load appropriate files after a while, requiring a Force Quit & restart); Keychain; Pages; Stickies, and Banktivity on my system (2017 iMac 27", 40GB RAM). I notices some of these problems under Catalina. If anything it's worse under Big Sur.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.