Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I'm about to give a S7 a try. I will see if I like it or not. Should be interesting.

NickHunt7

macrumors member
May 11, 2016
Cape Town, South Africa
You just stereotyped Iphones because 99% of folks that own one don't need anything more than what it does out of the box.

Which is exactly why they buy them. This whole premise of if you buy an expensive phone you need to be a tech geek who wants root his phone and a new launcher on it and hack the FBI etc is extremely narrow minded. Most consumers do not care about that which is why I said it

Reactions: I7guy

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
Which is exactly why they buy them. This whole premise of if you buy an expensive phone you need to be a tech geek who wants root his phone and a new launcher on it and hack the FBI etc is extremely narrow minded. Most consumers do not care about that which is why I said it
A secondary reason for me moving to Apple was to go cold turkey on rooting and installing ROMs on my phone. It was taking up too much of my life: install a new ROM, put all my apps back on and then reconfigure could take 3 hours at a time. On the iPhone I can't (well I probably could eventually but I'm not doing) so it's just a phone.

P.S. I'm now trying Spark for email. Again. On Android I just used the Gmail app but it's not as feature rich on iOS.

Reactions: akash.nu

NickHunt7

macrumors member
May 11, 2016
Cape Town, South Africa
A secondary reason for me moving to Apple was to go cold turkey on rooting and installing ROMs on my phone. It was taking up too much of my life: install a new ROM, put all my apps back on and then reconfigure could take 3 hours at a time. On the iPhone I can't (well I probably could eventually but I'm not doing) so it's just a phone.

P.S. I'm now trying Spark for email. Again. On Android I just used the Gmail app but it's not as feature rich on iOS.

Yeah the gmail app, like many google apps, doesn't bring over many features from Android. Guess it's their way of trying to entice you to buy an Android phone which is fair enough

Reactions: martint235

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I'm about to give a S7 a try. I will see if I like it or not. Should be interesting.
As long as you go in with an open mind, it should be fine. I've known a few people who tried switching and went back immediately because it was different and they didn't like change. Of course it's going to be different. Expecting otherwise is foolish.

Reactions: khha4113

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iPhone does fine with basic needs. Reading your comments, it is obvious yours are in this category, my wife could have the same and is happy with her 5s...
If you need more from your phone than playing a mere video, wondering if font is right or whether screen seems too yellow, it is worth having a look to android.
My last iphone was a 3gs, I will never come back though have some aapl products at home. Productivity, customization, flexibility are MUCH better with Android!
Seems like plenty of people have been doing plenty more with their iOS devices based on their needs.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Lol what kind of logic is this? He doesn't need all of those apps to enjoy "basic" **** on his phone. He's fully taking advantage of his phone which is awesome. The fact that you pay $650+ for a phone just to do basic **** that phones half the price can do is astounding.
FaceTime, iCloud and iMessage, eco system, top flight product, support, support for at least 3 or 4 generations, quality hardware. Depends on what is important to you or not.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
As long as you go in with an open mind, it should be fine. I've known a few people who tried switching and went back immediately because it was different and they didn't like change. Of course it's going to be different. Expecting otherwise is foolish.
Well, there's also something to be said expecting and knowing that things will be different and not actually liking them (for whatever reason).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Dude, you can make Android look like whatever you want using themes and launchers. Try that with an unjailbroken iPhone.

You just lack the technical smarts to know how to do it, which is crazy since it is as simple as downloading Nova launcher, lol!
I've been smart enough to figure out how to jailbreak iOS 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 on my iPhones as well as getting Sense 2.0 w/Weather installed on my HTC Touch Pro.

sarcasm> I could probably figure it out…maybe. <sarcasm

But I don't care to.

I'll stay jailbroken on iOS - thanks. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I alternate between both. Currently on iPhone 6s and can't switch because of Apple Watch. Both systems are good to me.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

The smart indent is very accurate. Trialed that for over 4 months before I was fully confident that it worked. Wish I had this when I first opened up an email acct.

I'm not a very demanding user for email apps though so your mileage may vary.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
He's referring to the fact that the ports on the s7 are not symmetrically aligned (on the same plane) as they are on the iPhone.

Here's a quick photo so you can see:

View attachment 634832

Notice how the iPhone's ports are equidistant (from the front and back of the phone) and aligned on the same imaginary line whereas the s7 ports are not.

The s7 port layout is not symmetrical, but to say that "there's no rhyme or reason" to it, is far-fetched and why I quoted his words back to him.

Not all over the place, maybe I exaggerated a bit. Just not perfectly aligned like on a iPhone. Most people won't notice it probably, I do. I'm a designer by trade, look for and notice perfection. Apple has it, Samsung is trying and is close but not there yet.

Makes sense. And thank you for the clarification. It can be hard to tell sometimes on s forum when exaggeration happens. I haven't held the phone long enough to really judge but I'm guessing I'd have never noticed
Lol.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
FaceTime, iCloud and iMessage, eco system, top flight product, support, support for at least 3 or 4 generations, quality hardware. Depends on what is important to you or not.
Half the things you mentioned are just proprietary services with cross-platform alternatives offered on any other OS. Not getting updates for 3-4 years isn't going to stop your phone from doing "basic ****". Not to mention you could update more frequently when you spend less money on each phone.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Half the things you mentioned are just proprietary services with cross-platform alternatives offered on any other OS. Not getting updates for 3-4 years isn't going to stop your phone from doing "basic ****". Not to mention you could update more frequently when you spend less money on each phone.
Those services didn't really have cross platform alternatives until recently & in fact there's no alternative if someone is vested within the Apple ecosystem.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Since downloading KingRoot out of the blue to root my LG, I also decided to try out Roehsoft RAM Expander. My LG lags from having only the 1 GB. I don't know if it is some random placebo effect because you don't see it the Settings but my LG does feel faster since putting 1.5 GB VRAM to the sd card. I needed to first download SDFix because I am still on KitKat which has the problem of writing onto sd. Everything works like a charm. I also backed up and uninstalled the LG File Manager because ES File Explorer which I prefer can move files to the sd card now and delete them.

I used to think my LG would be stuck being laggy forever. I haven't even installed CM13 on it to make it more snappier because of I am afraid of bricking, losing Wi-Fi, or boot loop. This is the beauty of Android. A few apps like KingRoot, Roehsoft RAM Expander, and SDFix changed the game for me. I also got All In Toolbox back but KingRoot does all the autostarting apps for me. Greenify no longer stalls a second when I double tap it to Hibernate and Lock. Instantly turns off now that it is rooted. Everything feels so lightweight and clean now after dealing with such a heavy skin.

LOL at ones forced to keep converting to mp4 files because the default video player can't read them. I remember having to do that on both PSP and iPod 5th gen back in 2005. Some things never change. *shakes head* Now I have AVI and MKV movies and rarely have to worry about them being played with MX Player unless the audio codec is incompatible. Sorry, iPhone. Your flexibility is shallow deep.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
In my opinion spending less means not getting what I want and what works for me. Cross platform alternatives are not as good, especially with iMessage. You're welcome to spend less. Enjoy your phone.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Since downloading KingRoot out of the blue to root my LG, I also decided to try out Roehsoft RAM Expander. My LG lags from having only the 1 GB. I don't know if it is some random placebo effect because you don't see it the Settings but my LG does feel faster since putting 1.5 GB VRAM to the sd card. I needed to first download SDFix because I am still on KitKat which has the problem of writing onto sd. Everything works like a charm. I also backed up and uninstalled the LG File Manager because ES File Explorer which I prefer can move files to the sd card now and delete them.

I used to think my LG would be stuck being laggy forever. I haven't even installed CM13 on it to make it more snappier because of I am afraid of bricking, losing Wi-Fi, or boot loop. This is the beauty of Android. A few apps like KingRoot, Roehsoft RAM Expander, and SDFix changed the game for me. I also got All In Toolbox back but KingRoot does all the autostarting apps for me. Greenify no longer stalls a second when I double tap it to Hibernate and Lock. Instantly turns off now that it is rooted. Everything feels so lightweight and clean now after dealing with such a heavy skin.

LOL at ones forced to keep converting to mp4 files because the default video player can't read them. I remember having to do that on both PSP and iPod 5th gen back in 2005. Some things never change. *shakes head* Now I have AVI and MKV movies and rarely have to worry about them being played with MX Player unless the audio codec is incompatible. Sorry, iPhone. Your flexibility is shallow deep.

That's the one thing that Apple needs to implement on the iPhone, but especially on the iPad, is a end-user accessible file system.

This sandboxed approach to everything really blows chunks.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Well, there's also something to be said expecting and knowing that things will be different and not actually liking them (for whatever reason).
But that's not what I was talking about. Some things just take a little time to get used to.

In my opinion spending less means not getting what I want and what works for me. Cross platform alternatives are not as good, especially with iMessage. You're welcome to spend less. Enjoy your phone.
I didn't spend less. I spent more because I don't just do basic things, just like @Savor.

Reactions: jamezr

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

BUT those iPhone users can do exactly the same thing they would do only cheaper with an android smartphone.

Reactions: khha4113 and jamezr

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
But that's not what I was talking about. Some things just take a little time to get used to.

I didn't spend less. I spent more because I don't just do basic things, just like @Savor.
All I need is basic things like video, chat, email, call, consume content etc and I want the most reliable phone, IMO, to get this done out of the box no hassles. When I need to Windows like things like rdp into company servers or rip or convert formats I use sp4 for that must faster. I have no problem paying for the "lesser iPhone", as it a well functioning phone is critical to my needs.

Not to mention most of my family are one iPhones and it's great to FaceTime and iMessage without 3rd party apps.

Last edited:
Reactions: NickHunt7

NickHunt7

macrumors member
May 11, 2016
Cape Town, South Africa
BUT those iPhone users can do exactly the same thing they would do only cheaper with an android smartphone.

Ok that is a fair argument BUT 80% of those cheaper phones lag after a week or straight out the box compared to other mor expensive phones. So with iPhones they pay for the hardware/software seamless integration

Reactions: I7guy

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There are Huyndai models that do the same thing if not more than various BMW models, and yet plenty of people buy and drive BMW cars.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Ok that is a fair argument BUT 80% of those cheaper phones lag after a week or straight out the box compared to other mor expensive phones. So with iPhones they pay for the hardware/software seamless integration
That's not true.....Nexus 6P at half the price of a comparable iphone will not lag. It will get all updates from the source and be ready out of the box. There are a ton of cheaper Android phones that compare both in performance to iphones that do not lag and are ready out of the box.

The UMI Super is $179 and compares to the iphone is specs and design. It doesn't lag and performs really well.

http://www.gearbest.com/promotion-umi-super-sale-special-644.html

Reactions: khha4113

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
That's not true.....Nexus 6P at half the price of a comparable iphone will not lag. It will get all updates from the source and be ready out of the box. There are a ton of cheaper Android phones that compare both in performance to iphones that do not lag and are ready out of the box.

The UMI Super is $179 and compares to the iphone is specs and design. It doesn't lag and performs really well.

http://www.gearbest.com/promotion-umi-super-sale-special-644.html

I have never heard of that but would love to try it, the 4000 mah battery sounds very good

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
I wouldn't go that far it's just they don't look as good as the iOS icons in my opinion and that's all it is for me. Some people enjoy the look of the icons clearly and that's perfectly fine
But you can change the s7 icons to look EXACTLY like an iPhone icons. So what's the problem exactly?
[doublepost=1465403118][/doublepost]
You shouldn't need to change it that's the point I'm making. A lot of Android users don't do the whole customization thing they use the phone out the box.
Why? So you think everyone that uses an iphone like the icons? All 300 + million? No. At least with android you have a choice to change it. It takes less than 2 minutes. If you're too lazy to do that then I can't help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.