Here's Your First Look at the New Version of Apple's AirPods

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 9, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In yet another leak sourced from the iOS 11 GM, developer Steve Troughton-Smith has uncovered a render of the new version of Apple's AirPods. Troughton-Smith noted that while a render of the "iPhone X" has not been discovered within the firmware (yet), the LTE Apple Watch and now the new AirPods each have renders in the golden master of iOS 11.

[​IMG]

Unsurprisingly, the new AirPods look a lot like the old AirPods, with an all-white charging case and white buds. The case has the same clamshell design as the current model, but has one noticeable difference: the LED charging indicator "status light" has moved from the inside of the case to the outside.

When the AirPods are in the case, the LED shows the charge status of the pods, but if they are removed from the case then the LED shows the status of the case itself. Green indicates charged, while an amber glow means less than one full charge remains. In today's short video, the LED appears to be flashing white, which Apple's support website currently explains as an indication that the AirPods are ready to be set up with another device, suggesting some of the same LED patterns will be on the new AirPods.

Last night, the first wave of iOS 11 GM leaks included references to "AirPods 1,2," which could be the updated version of the wire-free headphones that have been shared today. Of course, with just one image and a two-second clip it's impossible to say what other new features might be coming to AirPods 2.0, or if Apple is ready to announce the new model as soon as Tuesday's upcoming iPhone X event.

Article Link: Here's Your First Look at the New Version of Apple's AirPods

2. Appleaker macrumors 68000

Glad they’re making improvements to it, better quality and maybe an hour extra battery life (or more) would be cool. A black model would be a brilliant move.

If you’re going to argue that the GM doesn’t show black then please remember that the W1 animations always show the white model, so it’s not ruled out.

3. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

Dang, I wonder what the improvements were to the buds themselves. So curious!

4. Sunny1990 macrumors 68000

Sunny1990

5. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

Having the original ones I prefer the indicator light inside rather than outside. If there’s no improvement otherwise I will gladly keep version 1.

6. fermat-au, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017

fermat-au macrumors 6502

At what point does Apple hire Steve Troughton-Smith purely to stop him posting these kind of leaks?

7. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Yes! I'm glad I decided to wait it out instead of splurging on last year's ancient, vastly outdated model of AirPods.

Kidding of course, but I am curious as to what additional improvements these will have.

8. ETechMaster2002 macrumors member

Is there going to be any real difference because I just ordered mine yesterday? Ironically because I thought it was the only Apple product that wasn’t going to be updated in a couple weeks. :(

9. 007p macrumors 6502a

10. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

If that was your goal you should've bought a Mac Mini. ;)

11. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Astonished new ones are already on the horizon.

At a guess I'd say we'd get either longer battery life or better sound as a minimum.

If we're lucky we'll get both.

If we're extremely lucky they will have new silicon that provides Hey Siri support.

12. Analog Kid macrumors 68040

Analog Kid

It's entirely possible that the only improvements are manufacturability. Apple had a heck of a time keeping up with demand, even after a delayed release.

13. Nozuka macrumors 65816

i hope it's a really small change, because i just got mine like 2 weeks ago ;)
    i usually get it right with the timing on apple products... didn't expect this so soon..

14. TallGuyGT macrumors regular

TallGuyGT

I'm very satisfied with mine, but I'd happily take all these improvements. Available in black would be even better!

15. TheSkywalker77 macrumors member

TheSkywalker77

I'm surprised there isn't a black version. Apple should really add a black version or just all the colors of the iPhone.

16. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

They finally made AirPods that can sort of be viewed from the side. It's about time. Now we can sort of tilt the case and look right at them.

17. nortonandreev macrumors 6502

nortonandreev

I was wondering if it's possible they to be bundled with the iPhone X. It'd be better than the Apple Music & iCloud subscriptions.

18. dfstock macrumors newbie

dfstock

Will they support Bluetooth 5.0 is the question. I need more range!!

19. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I agree that it would, but it's way, way too early for that, IMO. Maybe when they are sold for around $69.

Why? Wouldn't it be better to have improved visibility of your battery? I'm still bitter Apple removed the outside battery LEDs from the MBP...

20. Jolson247 macrumors member

Nice, another Apple product that we won't be able to find in the retail environment for 10-11 months with any relative ease. Call me in February when all the new iPhone models and storage capacities are readily available and the wait for these new AirPods is only 6 weeks. Supply Chain FAIL.

21. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Yes! You get the light on the outside. So glad you waited an entire year. Good luck finding these in stores like the previous ones.

22. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Somebody's a little mad that they wasted their money on the beta version of AirPods! You'll be rushing to get these new ones once you see how beautiful that outside LED looks. :p

I'd say "kidding" again, but I think I made this one even more obvious.

23. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

So would it be fair to say all you people with AirPods with the LED on the inside of the case are using yesterday's technology and you're holding up progress now that Apple has shown us the way? When will you join the future and throw away your outdated, antiquated gen 1 AirPods and replace them with these updated models? This ancient 'LED on the inside' technology is dead already, surely... I predict in 2 months' time no-one will be using anything but AirPods with the LED on the outside of the case. ;)

24. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Of course we don't know how much has changed with the Airpods, because we haven't physically seen them yet or they have not been launched.

25. Spendlove macrumors 6502

Spendlove

Oh god. I only just bought mine. Gutted.