Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
Does that include the AirTag Hermès and the Apple Watch Hermès?
The Sydney Hermès store still has both in a glass cabinet next to where the wallets and bracelets are.
Maybe it’s a store specific thing?
Yes, called to get an appointment and voicemail from Boston said from now on all Apple products won’t be sold in store. I don’t know how big other stores are, but the Boston store with 2 floors seems quite big for a boutique. Their appointment system is not too cumbersome. A sales person responds within 90 minutes and a meeting time is easily arranged. I bought H24 in store when it was sold out online.

Reactions: Boardiesboi

Zabobon

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2021
I actually have to make 2 separate orders to get the extra keychains due to the 2 per item limit (and Apple employee discount even limited to 1 per item this time for some reason):

View attachment 1766581

Once I saw the topic, I knew immediately this thread is going to derail into a debate whether it’s right or wrong to buy Hermès version of Apple products. Like many that has said before, they aren’t that expensive considering their quality. Hermès is essentially one of the rare ones of the luxury house that still give a damn about quality. I’ve spend enough on brands such as Louis Vuitton, Dior, Chanel etc. to be invited to those stupid VIP parties and pre-sale events, all I can say is Hermès is way better in quality when it comes to leather products. Sure it’s hard to get “normal” people’s attention as Hermès tend to keep a lower profile. But those who can drop $10k+ on a bag are living in a social circle where most of them knew what’s what.

And those AirTag are actually cheaper then most other Hermès accessories without the AirTag. My Hermès leather charm cost €615, not to mention my Hermès bag cost €6300. A $299 charm with Barenia leather to track my €7000 Hermès stuff? A $449 luggage tag to track my $3400 LV Horizon? Shut up and take my money! LV asks $250 for just a canvas cover lol.

But if you don’t understand why they are expensive, lucky you. You’ve saved yourself a lot of money. And apparently you are not in their targeted market. People tend to think with their financial perspective, which could result in thinking those stuff were pointless or overpriced. They probably just don’t have the financial flexibility to consider the extra value or quality because they can’t afford the unnecessary. Wealth gives people freedom of choice, not just the physical items you get.
Agree with everything you have said.

And to add one other point - sometimes it can be helpful to think of this the other way around - i.e. not why these limited edition largely hand-made luxury items are so expensive - but how through mass production Apple are able to make devices and accessories that are also "luxurious" and beautifully made and available at the lowest price they can achieve.

Jony Ive loves jewellery and high-end brands (and for good reason - these things are lovely). Steve Jobs was the same. I think he once compared the iPhone to a Leica Camera. Before the iPhone (and aluminium MacBooks) most computers and phones were horribly designed plastic things that we only used because we had no choice.

And as for Hermès - my wife found out why a real hand-crafted Hermès handbag is so special when she inadvertently bought a second-hand fake one online...

Swissfashion

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2020
Switzerland
I actually have to make 2 separate orders to get the extra keychains due to the 2 per item limit (and Apple employee discount even limited to 1 per item this time for some reason):

View attachment 1766581

Once I saw the topic, I knew immediately this thread is going to derail into a debate whether it’s right or wrong to buy Hermès version of Apple products. Like many that has said before, they aren’t that expensive considering their quality. Hermès is essentially one of the rare ones of the luxury house that still give a damn about quality. I’ve spend enough on brands such as Louis Vuitton, Dior, Chanel etc. to be invited to those stupid VIP parties and pre-sale events, all I can say is Hermès is way better in quality when it comes to leather products. Sure it’s hard to get “normal” people’s attention as Hermès tend to keep a lower profile. But those who can drop $10k+ on a bag are living in a social circle where most of them knew what’s what.

And those AirTag are actually cheaper then most other Hermès accessories without the AirTag. My Hermès leather charm cost €615, not to mention my Hermès bag cost €6300. A $299 charm with Barenia leather to track my €7000 Hermès stuff? A $449 luggage tag to track my $3400 LV Horizon? Shut up and take my money! LV asks $250 for just a canvas cover lol.

But if you don’t understand why they are expensive, lucky you. You’ve saved yourself a lot of money. And apparently you are not in their targeted market. People tend to think with their financial perspective, which could result in thinking those stuff were pointless or overpriced. They probably just don’t have the financial flexibility to consider the extra value or quality because they can’t afford the unnecessary. Wealth gives people freedom of choice, not just the physical items you get.

I agree. By the way, a tip for buyers of high quality leather goods: check out https://www.stephaniecesaire.com/?lang=en in Paris. She stopped using Chanel leather atelier, because the quality of the work wasn’t high enough for her. My wife loves her bags.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
Then you’d be shocked to hear their is a Hermès Apple Watch as well.
Difference is the value in the Hermes watch is the strap right? Which can be interchanged with later models? The 10k generation 1 Apple Watch was redundant within two years.

Swissfashion

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2020
Switzerland
Difference is the value in the Hermes watch is the strap right? Which can be interchanged with later models? The 10k generation 1 Apple Watch was redundant within two years.
Yes, straps remain interchangeable. Difference is also in the additional watch faces and colours (Hermès orange), the Hermès branding on the watch, the premium box and great service from Hermès.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Do you expect AirTags to change much over time?

Feisar

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
Received the Orange Swift key chain a couple of days ago and finally paired up the AirTag.

Loving the color. Leather feels as soft and supple as the Individual Merino interior in my X5.

75e4511b2753d18a82a5abb91ab4592a.jpg

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Received the Orange Swift key chain a couple of days ago and finally paired up the AirTag.

Loving the color. Leather feels as soft and supple as the Individual Merino interior in my X5.

75e4511b2753d18a82a5abb91ab4592a.jpg
Nice. I have the Bleu Indigo. I was tempted to buy another but they sold out so quickly!

jlsm511

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
KMIA
I tried looking through the Hermes Apple Watch thread but got overwhelmed. Is there any product recommended to clean the leather if it should get dirty? I wear jeans a lot so I'm thinking eventually it will rub off on the leather at some point.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
I tried looking through the Hermes Apple Watch thread but got overwhelmed. Is there any product recommended to clean the leather if it should get dirty? I wear jeans a lot so I'm thinking eventually it will rub off on the leather at some point.
There was a detailed post on what to use and how to use around two years ago.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
The AirTag key ring is available to order again on Apple.com . . . if I get one, I can't decide between orange or blue. Is the orange shade Hermes orange? In pictures it looks brighter than Hermes orange. The blue looks dark, almost a blue-black or a purple.

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
The AirTag key ring is available to order again on Apple.com . . . if I get one, I can't decide between orange or blue. Is the orange shade Hermes orange? In pictures it looks brighter than Hermes orange. The blue looks dark, almost a blue-black or a purple.
I don’t have the orange one but I would imagine it’s the same as the orange swift leather single tour for the watch.
The indigo is very dark and is close to black. This is paired with a leather case for my car key which is black.
38BB1395-1713-4BCB-A362-AF049AA5DB0D.jpeg

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
A $350 keychain? This is something the Kardashians would flaunt having. I’d be embarrassed to tell anyone on planet earth I spent $350 on a keychain.

It's meant to go with the $1,200 underwear, and $3,000 perfume...

I went into a Tumi store, and was floored to see carbon fiber suitcases that cost *GASP*...

They even had a set with carbon fiber rails. I found one of the medium size at TJ Max. It was still ridiculously expensive.

I read an article about how people were stealing the cases, and leaving the contents in bins and just dumping it on the floor. Such the price for being a pretentious prig...

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
No issues with my key ring, as well. 9to5Mac was just speculating based on a single case, and now suddenly it’s ”news.” Hermes accessories often sell out quickly after the initial run. Most of the items have been sold out for over a week.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I haven’t had any issues with mine. A bit concerning if it’s a widespread issue with quality control, considering how much they cost.
We’d probably have seen more posts here if it were widespread. Instead, this thread went dormant for almost 2 weeks. My guess is that Apple simply sold out of the initial run. The key ring has been unavailable to order online in almost 2 weeks in the US, though some stores still had them in stock until a few days ago.

Last edited:

kobezzz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2021
Anyone experiencing quality issues with their Hermès AirTag Case? Just saw this posted on 9to5Mac: https://9to5mac.com/2021/05/24/hermes-airtag-unavailable/
I saw the photos:
1) not even a month and airtag has signs and therefore little care;
2) the pin on the back has come off and it's strange, but since it's handmade and it's a pin you go to the first Hermès (I repeat Hermès) non-Apple store with invoice and they fix it;
it is also interesting to see that the product was made in 2020, FS series number 1.

the product is sold out practically after a few weeks in Orange and Blue Indigo colors because they are particular colors compared to the classic Fauve

Last edited:

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
We’d probably have seen more posts here if it were widespread. Instead, this thread went dormant for almost 2 weeks. My guess is that Apple simply sold out of the initial run. The key ring has been unavailable to order online in almost 2 weeks in the US, though some stores still had them in stock until a few days ago.
Just checked the Australian apple store and the luggage tag and some bag charms are still available for sale for pick up.
5DC8EFB9-476A-479A-8179-69EB32DF5D33.png
01568ECD-F149-4F48-B70B-EFD9845F834D.png
They definitely haven’t pulled it and it’s probably just stock shortages.
Probably an isolated incident that is somehow “news” now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.