Hesitant About Purchasing an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Vihzel, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Vihzel macrumors 6502

I found out that Walmart doesn't charge a restocking fee and to really see if you do want to keep it or not, they are allowing you to keep the iPad until January 10th due to their holiday return policy before you can't return it anymore. This is the best way that I know of for purchasing an iPad for people who aren't completely sure if they will decide to keep it. So basically... you get a good 1 1/2 months at least to play around with the iPad and put it through what you want.

2. saving107, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I don't get what you mean by this part?

Also, Walmart's return period is 90 days (3 months), and they don't charge a restocking fee, but the product must still be returned in "Like New" condition, it doesn't mean you have the freedom to treat it however you want and then when your bored with it, return it.

The 90 day return policy also applies to Target (who also carries the iPad), unlike Best Buy who does consider the iPad a computer and will charge a 10 or 15% restocking fee.

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I wouldn't buy one now. A new one should becoming out early next year.

4. Vihzel thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh I didn't mean physically put it through whatever. I meant as in putting it through what you would use it for.

From Walmart's website... "GPS units, digital music players, e-tablets, e-readers and portable video players: Must be returned within 15 days of receipt."

Walmart does have the 90-day but it applies to certain areas and definitely not to electronics such as the iPad.

I would suggest never purchasing from Target as compared to Walmart. For Target, it has to be in new condition, as in never used. They are also known to be one of the worst companies in terms of return policies and hassling the customer. Also, incase you lose the receipt and paid in cash, Target will definitely not help you (still returnable to Walmart). I've returned several things to my local Walmart Supercenter and have 0 issues and have always been treated well.

5. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Early next year? And you know that how? :rolleyes:

6. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Just for a moment, pretend that the iPad is on the yearly cycle like the vast majority of it's products. It may be announced early next year, but it will more than likely be released again in April, like the first iteration.

7. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

It won't be announced early next year and released later because if it did the current iPad wouldn't sell any for months. Only first generation products are announced and then released months later.

8. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Oh, don't get me wrong, I didn't think it would be announced as early as the first one, but I was just trying to say that the only way we would hear anything about a new iPad "early" next year is just for them to say it's going to be released later. Sorry, bad wording on my part.

I don't think it will be released or mentioned until April of 2011. There, I said it.

9. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

For the first generation they announced it in January and said it would be shipping in 30 days. Then because there was so much demand, it got pushed back to April 3.

They now know how many to make and therefore should have enough.

If it came out in April, it is only two months before the June release of another iPhone. The best bet would be early next year for a new iPad.

10. Kestrel452 macrumors regular

11. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

But apple isn't doing macworld keynotes anymore. So it will have to be on their own time.

12. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

It was announced in January, and they said it would ship in March. (It slipped a few days, not 2 months.)

The iPad 2 will probably be announced a week before it ships, with preorders starting on the day it is announced. That's the way Apple generally handles releases.

Most folks think that late March, or early April is when we'll see the next version. That release date gives Apple plenty of space between the annual refreshes of its Mac, Macbook, iPhone, and iPod product lines.

We will hear lots of rumors from suppliers about 30-40 days before the product is announced. That will be the only indication that a new iPad is coming. (Since we haven't seen these rumors yet, one can assume that a new iPad is not currently in production.)

13. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

Rumor numero uno - http://www.9to5mac.com/34272/ipad-2-ads-filmed-by-david-sims-in-new-york-last-month The iPad 2 commercial has been shot. I doubt they're in production because that would cause more rumors but I would imagine mid December they'll ramp it up and we'll start hearing and seeing more rumors for a Jan or Feb announcement. No reason to shoot the commercial almost 6 months early. 3-4 months early makes more sense.

14. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

It was announced January 27 (I think, maybe 26) and said the WiFi model would ship in 30 days and the 3G model in 60 days.

15. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

It was actually 60 and 90 days respectively. Not 30 and 60.

16. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

That sounds better I think. I made a mistake.

17. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Products are made to be bought. If you always wait for the latest version, you miss the opportunity to actually use the damn thing. Sometimes its not always about having the latest version...sometimes the experience of using ANY version trumps having version xyz.

Since no one but Apple knows when the next version will be released, you're probably better off purchasing now. If the next version is released next month, sell your version and use the funds to get the new version. Quit trying to outthink the manufacturer.

18. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

why wait? because apple is predictable

In this case it's smart to wait because we're right at the end of Apple's product cycle. There are very few exceptions to Apple's 1 yr refresh cycle for all their products (Air being one of them), however when major advancements in all their lines have been made or a major feature is introduced, there is no chance they will deviate.

With the new iPhone and iPod Touches they've introduced FaceTime. They now have FaceTime on Macs and a Mac App Store coming. There's no way they'd let another cycle go by without introducing an iPad with a FaceTime camera.

Even if that's the only upgrade (I doubt it) it would still justify a 2nd gen iPad after just 1 yr, because that is Apple and you can bet on their product releases being as reliable as a clock.:apple::cool:

19. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

Agreed. Well said. This kind of shiz drives me nuts.

20. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I must say that most people know that the next major announcement from Apple will be the next generation iPad.

21. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It's still 4-5 months until March/April. I wouldn't call that "right at the end" of a product cycle. It's kind of neutral. Buy it if you need it, if you can wait, wait.

22. Built macrumors 68020

...and these same people who keep hanging their "Don't buy an iPad now" argument on this "early next year" prediction will be waiting possibly at least a month or two after the launch before they can get their hands on one (due to the inevitable demand that any new Apple product (i.e. iPad, iPhone, etc.) generates.

I still chuckle when I think back to the days leading up to the iPhone 4 initial order date of June 15th. There were many on this very forum (iPhone section) saying, "There's no need to order on June 15th. Demand won't be that great. There will be PLENTY new product to go around to ANYBODY who wants one."

Some of the same people who took this advice had to then wait over a month before Apple was able to satisfy their order.

23. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

The way things are right now, I'd expect us to see casings and demo units in photos, that we can argue about their authenticity for weeks before any announcement.

As soon as they start making them in the factory (They will have to start production many many weeks before any release date to get quantities ready) we will see some bits sneaked out.

24. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Apple won't make the same mistak of not producing enough again.

The people that want an iPad and are smart will wait and reserve one or stand in line for one.

25. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The problem with trying to avoid the "mistake" of making too little is that you could make too much. I'd say in marketing, when in doubt it's better to be a little short than to have too much, which would become excess inventory that you have to find space to store. So I fully expect to see shortages of iDevices again on release.

As for people acting rationally and sensibly -- when do they ever?