Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Apple won't make the same mistak of not producing enough again.

The people that want an iPad and are smart will wait and reserve one or stand in line for one.

Not likely. If that were the case, they would have made more than enough iPhone 4s to satisfy demand...

They have an excuse with the original iPad because it is a new product and they would have no idea how it was received, but on the second generation, my prediction is that they will "create" a similar shortage to enhance the "hype."

People will be waiting at least a month after launch if they do not get their order in during the inital frenzy. Guaranteed.

...and as Night Spring put it so well, it serves Apple's bottom line to be conservative and not produce "too much."

dihydrogenoxide

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2010
Actually, Apple would have made more on the iphone 4 if they'd had enough stock, and since when has the iphone needed more hype? It sold out because it was a major upgrade, and also a lot of 3G users where up for new contracts.

Restinbeast

macrumors member
May 27, 2010
I always laugh when people are so hesitant to buy technologies b/c they are frightened that there is something newer around the corner. No **** this is the nature of technology, it changes every day. If you ascribe to this neurosis you could literally justify permanently standing on the sidelines with a Motorola Razr in your pocket.

Unless you are certain you are near the tail-end of a product cycle (not over 6 months away) there is no upside to waiting. So you wait for your brand new Ipad 2, well guess what I have had the original Ipad for several months now and I am going to be totally willing to buy the Ipad 3 that comes out a year after you buy your Ipad 2, so don't commit suicide when that comes out.

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
Honestly, I feel this way about Dentistry some times.

I keep thinking that drilling and filling cavities is so "dentistry 1.0".

They'll come out with an enzyme that will just eat the decayed tooth material, and some kind of "stem cell" deal that will regrow the tooth. Yeah, that's the ticket!

I'll just put up with the pain for a little while longer. I'm sure the new technology will be released soon. Or maybe I should just take care of it now, and get on with my life.

Yup, same thing applies to technology purchases. The future will always be better. If you're feeling pain, just take care of it now, and get on with life.

(* They actually have the Enzyme part, and some dentists will use it in special cases, but it's expensive and takes 1-2 hours to work. The regrowing thing is not too far from the truth, they've gown teeth in laboratory cultures but not in humans yet.)

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I always laugh when people are so hesitant to buy technologies b/c they are frightened that there is something newer around the corner. No **** this is the nature of technology, it changes every day. If you ascribe to this neurosis you could literally justify permanently standing on the sidelines with a Motorola Razr in your pocket.

True, but in most cases, Apple products are updated once a year.

Haha, on a side note, your post reminded me of Android. I swear there is a new Android device every week! :eek:

SoundMan

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2010
I just don't know

I would hate to buy one in Dec and in March Ipad 2 comes with a Camera etc

Then you have to try and sell your old Ipad and take a big loss

Kestrel452

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
I just don't know

Not really. Prices on Apple products are really sticky until they hit the 2 years old mark.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
I just don't know

Then again, you could just keep your iPad and continue to enjoy it. You could also get gen 2 and give gen 1 to your offspring, wife, girlfriend (or boyfriend), mistress, or whom ever.

Vihzel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
I just don't know

What big loss are you talking about? Apple products have a strong resale value since the brand name is so strong. I bought one just yesterday knowing that a new one is coming out in a few months and don't regret it at all. I'll just sell this one for the next one. I'm not in any kind of money crunch so i can.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
Unless you are certain you are near the tail-end of a product cycle (not over 6 months away) there is no upside to waiting. So you wait for your brand new Ipad 2, well guess what I have had the original Ipad for several months now and I am going to be totally willing to buy the Ipad 3 that comes out a year after you buy your Ipad 2, so don't commit suicide when that comes out.

April is less than six months away, and the the second generation iPad will probably come out in March.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Actually, Apple would have made more on the iphone 4 if they'd had enough stock, and since when has the iphone needed more hype? It sold out because it was a major upgrade, and also a lot of 3G users where up for new contracts.

There was a lot of conjecture that the iPhone 4 demand was going to be less dramatic due to the economy, as well as due to the competitor phones (even though, as an early adopter), I do not feel that ANYTHING can compare to the iPhone.

By limiting their exposure, however, Apple was in a win-win. They KNOW that any unsatisfied iPhone demand is not likely to go to a competitor..it will just not go away...but people WILL wait for the iPhone. Since the demand will still be there, why not limit their risk? Supply and demand...simple economics 101.

DribbleCastle

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2009
Seattle, WA
Don't wait

I just got my iPad today and was in the same place as you. No regrets. I loaded 4.2 on it and I love it. Can't put it down! With how much I can see myself using this I will probably sell and buy the next one anyway so I'm not worried about a new one. Plus I personally think it wont be available until the april timeframe.

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Don't hestitate! It has a lot of apps to choose from. It is a smooth tech. Competition may have decent hardware, but lacks a library of apps to choose from and have fun with. There are a lot of content!!

robertpetry

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
St Augustine, FL
Unless you are certain you are near the tail-end of a product cycle (not over 6 months away) there is no upside to waiting.

I would not call the last 6 months of a typically 12 month product cycle the "tail-end." Maybe the last month or two, but the last half is just the last half.

To the OP:

In all likelihood the next iPad will be available to buy in March or April. That means as of today you will have to wait at least 3-4 more months. Can you wait? That is up to you. I can't answer it.

I can say that I bought one 2 months ago knowing I had 5-6 months left in the product cycle. If the upgrade is worth $150-$200 more bucks then I will sell my 6 month old unit and buy a new one gladly paying the $150-$200 fee for getting 6 months of use out of my current unit. It is awesome.

But only you can decide.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
That just says that iPad production will start in February, which jives with a late March to April sales date. Plus, it's just rumor/speculation. Oh, and I fixed the link, so the link quoted in this post works.

Yes I realize that it is just rumor and maybe completely false. Either way, I still believe we are looking at early next year.

RedRobotWeb

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2010
I bought my iPad recently. I wanted to wait. I plan to sell it, like I do all my other iProducts once to new model appears. I usually make a decent bit of change on the resale toward the new models.

So, I say, don't wait. Buy it now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.