Hey, Dual G4 owners!


ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
4,400
3
I played it on my Quicksilver single processor and it worked, it just took forever to load, but it played fine. The 720 loads faster and is the one I would personally watch. :)
 

Ryan T.

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2005
599
27
Rochester, NY
hell, 1080 doesn't even really LIKE to play well on my G5 SP 1.6.

720 however plays great. unless you have a 23" screen, 1080 is a waste anyway.
 

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
557
0
Tampa
Not sure if you were asking me, but I've got a Radeon 9000 in my dual 533.

The 1.8 G5 iMac I'm on right now doesn't play these files particularly well either. It's no big deal though; when this comp was purchased I didn't expect it to do HD.
 

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
2,859
3
Austin, Texas
ITASOR said:
I played it on my Quicksilver single processor and it worked, it just took forever to load, but it played fine. The 720 loads faster and is the one I would personally watch. :)
So my processor is 400 MHz faster, and yet you get higher frames than me. That's weird. 720 is un-watchable for me.
 

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
1,242
0
One Endless Loop
Well I have a 2ghz Dothan Pentium M notebook and it can't watch 1080. That said neither can my powerbook 1.67ghz G4 with 128mb Vram.
 

unixkid

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2004
101
1
720p at 30 fps is 27.6 million pixels a second.
1080p at 30fps is 62.2 million pixels a second

and with the H.264 codec there all HEAVILY encoded.
Yes you DO need a G5 for playback without dropped frames.
A Dual 1.42+ G4 might be able to playback 720p24 without dropped frames. my two 3.2ghz P4's cant playback 720p30 without dropped frames.
 

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
1,242
0
One Endless Loop
unixkid said:
720p at 30 fps is 27.6 million pixels a second.
1080p at 30fps is 62.2 million pixels a second

and with the H.264 codec there all HEAVILY encoded.
Yes you DO need a G5 for playback without dropped frames.
A Dual 1.42+ G4 might be able to playback 720p24 without dropped frames. my two 3.2ghz P4's cant playback 720p30 without dropped frames.


Curious. Why do you say don't get an x800 xt?
 

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
4,400
3
Capt Underpants said:
So my processor is 400 MHz faster, and yet you get higher frames than me. That's weird. 720 is un-watchable for me.
Hmm. Even 720 is unwatchable for you? That's impossible, because that runs like absolutely no problem for me and I have tons of other programs running.

I have a GeForceMX 64MB Graphics card.
 

unixkid

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2004
101
1
MacTruck said:
Curious. Why do you say don't get an x800 xt?
It was a POS for months and months and caused MANY kernel panics and it would actually panic on boot and i couldn't boot. All because of its POS ROM... they finally "fixed" it in June. The panics don't happen anymore, but there are still strange flickers in WC3 on the loading screen.
 

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
1,242
0
One Endless Loop
unixkid said:
It was a POS for months and months and caused MANY kernel panics and it would actually panic on boot and i couldn't boot. All because of its POS ROM... they finally "fixed" it in June. The panics don't happen anymore, but there are still strange flickers in WC3 on the loading screen.

Wow. Yeah I just got one. Had to update the ROM right away due to loud fan. Seems ok now but I don't notice any real system speedup because of it and thats why I got it. Nothing but hype these cards are.
 

unixkid

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2004
101
1
MacTruck said:
Wow. Yeah I just got one. Had to update the ROM right away due to loud fan. Seems ok now but I don't notice any real system speedup because of it and thats why I got it. Nothing but hype these cards are.
the card is much faster than my 9600 XT i had before. 2-4 times faster
 

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
7,830
1,120
The Netherlands
The BBC Motion Gallery 1080p movie drops a couple of frames on my system:

Dual 1.8 GHz G5, 2 GB RAM, GeForce 6800 Ultra, 2 x 160 GB S-ATA HD (Software Apple RAID 0).

Lowest 16 fps, around 60% at 24 fps. "not smooth".

I also ran the same movie on the newest Dual 2.0 with 1.5 GB RAM. Radeon 9600 (128 MB VRAM), single 160 GB S-ATA HD:

Lowest 18 fps, around 70% at 24 fps. "not smooth". Better than my config, but not as smooth as one would hope.

I assume a Dual 2.3 GHz would be minimal for playing 1080p movies "smoothly".
 

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
1,242
0
One Endless Loop
MacsRgr8 said:
The BBC Motion Gallery 1080p movie drops a couple of frames on my system:

Dual 1.8 GHz G5, 2 GB RAM, GeForce 6800 Ultra, 2 x 160 GB S-ATA HD (Software Apple RAID 0).

Lowest 16 fps, around 60% at 24 fps. "not smooth".

I also ran the same movie on the newest Dual 2.0 with 1.5 GB RAM. Radeon 9600 (128 MB VRAM), single 160 GB S-ATA HD:

Lowest 18 fps, around 70% at 24 fps. "not smooth". Better than my config, but not as smooth as one would hope.

I assume a Dual 2.3 GHz would be minimal for playing 1080p movies "smoothly".

Really? Dual 2ghz didn't play it smooth? Thats odd.
 

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2004
899
104
France
My PB with a iomega FW HD gives me around 22 fps in 720!!!!!!
very good?
My dual G4 gives me around 18-20 fps in 720 in internal RAID.
 

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
2,745
0
fig tree
MacTruck said:
Well I have a 2ghz Dothan Pentium M notebook and it can't watch 1080. That said neither can my powerbook 1.67ghz G4 with 128mb Vram.
my 2ghz pentium could watch 1920x or 1280x no problem (with a x300 and 2gb ram) my emac chokes on 720p, and my 3500+ with 2gb of ram and x800 kicks ass in either :D

btw how do y'all measure frame rates? im just going by how it looks to me as far as watchability :confused: