Hey guys macbook pro 2017 keyboard issue? what are my options?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by esaelias, May 14, 2018.

1. esaelias macrumors regular

esaelias

so i have had the MacBook a few good months, however, the keyboards are weird its like they stick and there have been times the double key will press, sometimes the keyboard has randomly jammed too and you can hear the funny material the keys are placed on similar to foil

i am in warranty, can apple fix this in one day?

also if they cant do i get a replacement one as i use this for work?

2. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

Yes, if you bring it to an Apple Store they should replace the keyboard for free.

3. esaelias thread starter macrumors regular

esaelias

on the same day?

4. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

I'd say probably not... Sadly they don't do it in the Apple Store anymore.

5. esaelias thread starter macrumors regular

esaelias

well that is not fair

as it is not my fault.....do they give replacement macbooks while they fix it?

6. jerryk macrumors 601

Not usually. Plus none of your data would be on it.

Be sure to get AppleCare

7. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

You could technically buy another one and return it when yours is fixed...

8. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502a

That was gonna be my recommendation

Plus having your data should be no problem because everyone backs up with time machine ;)
    ( if you don't maybe this will be the kick in the pants that will make you do that in the future )

9. giffut macrumors 6502

Don´t throw more money at them. Get it repaired and then sell it as fast as you can.

10. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502a

buying and returning gives them no money you loose nothing long term and even return shipping is free, but it does give you a machine while you wait and see what happens

I do agree get it fixed then sell it asap, if it was me i'd either wait for miracle at WWDC 2018 and/or buy a 2015 rMBP

11. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

I wanted to get my lamination peeling MacBook Pro display replaced, but they said it could 5 days or more. Out of all the computers I own, I have never experienced anything like this. I have made plans to u-turn back to Surface Book.

12. robvas macrumors 68030

Wait until you need to get that fixed!

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, I believe its a full top case replacment and that takes time. Also they have other work in the queue and so your laptop will be in line waiting its turn

14. Sterkenburg macrumors 6502

They'll replace it under warranty, but as others have said it will be a full top case replacement. In my case, the turnaround time was more or less 3 full working days (sent it back on Monday afternoon, had it on the desk on Friday morning).

No replacement while you wait. You could get a new one and return it later if having the MBP is absolutely mission-critical, otherwise it might not be worth the hassle to do a full backup and restore for just 3 days.

15. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

You're not going to get a problem like that fixed "the same day".
    They have to replace the entire top case of the Macbook.

Just be glad that they'll fix it.
    BUT -- be aware that the keyboard may fail AGAIN on you... and again.

That's why someone above suggested AppleCare -- if you plan on keeping this, you ought to consider it.

16. Mac2SurfacePro_2018 macrumors newbie

DO NOT BUY THIS COMPUTER. I'm a 20 year Mac user. No problems. Then I bought the 2017 MacBook Pro. I've have had it to Genius Bar several times, twice sent out for repair. Multiple calls to tech support. Issues with Pages at times. I've spent much more than 40 hours of time, missed work, no computer on which I can work. It's now at the depot for repair and I was left an intelligible v-mail for a few quick questions about the issues I was having. I'm so SICK OF MAC. I'm finally now switching my life over to Surface Pro by Microsoft. And trying to sue apple for a different device.

17. robvas macrumors 68030

No problems over the last 20 years with Macs?

You must have missed the overheating, cracking G4 cube. Leaking coolant from the Power Mac G5's. First generation overheating MacBook Pro (before the unibody). 2007 MacBook Pro GPU's failing (NVIDIA 8600M). Cracking cases and yellow staining of the white plastic MacBooks. 2011 MacBook Pro GPU's failing...

18. jerryk macrumors 601

You missed staingate where the screens start hazing, and may still be occurring.

19. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

Not to mention bad capacitors in the Rev A iMac G5, white spots on the 2003 Al-PBG4 screen, and incorrectly installed CD/DVD-ROM drives in the Rev A Ti-PBG4 models.

20. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Image retention, screen delaminations.........

21. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Looking to buy a new MBPro but am concerned the keyboard will be crap.

22. jerryk macrumors 601

As are many buyers. Make your decision wisely. At this point I would wait to see if anything is announced at WWDC at the beginning of June. And even then only get it after a few months of users trying them out.

23. Severos macrumors newbie

just buy this macbook 13 non touch 9 may. and the issue about the keyboard problem has blown my mind. i just accept it and waiting for the time that this problem come.... i feel bad for myself

24. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502a

you had til yesterday to return to apple (2 week return policy FTW) you had options

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I suspect that if apple were to replace the butterfly keyboard with the traditional scissors type, they'd see a groundswell of buyers