"Hey now girls can play games too!"...

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Dagless, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

... Say the stereotyping devs and publishers.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I suppose this is the dark side of the "Touch Generations" moon.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Thank God for this! I was worried that I'd never be able to play!

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

That is the funniest thing I've seen all week!

4. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Cooking Mama >>> Imagine Happy Cooking without all the "made for girls" stereotypical mumbo jumbo. A girl can play any game she likes ... my sister is master of rhythm games.

And that 3+ ... I wouldn't let any 3 year old near a game system.

And what's up with the disparity between the cover and the blurb?

5. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I googled this, hoping it was a joke. It's not. :eek:

I know I don't post much in the gaming forums but this makes me unspeakably angry.

Most video games are marketed toward males. Even if they're amazingly fun to play (and I'm a girl), they still have scantily clad, bouncy, polygon-breasted female characters running around.

Like in RE4 for the Wii, the girl is ENTIRELY useless and re-enforces negative female stereotypes. Ashley, IIRC can't even fire a gun. She has to throw lamps at the evil things to thwart them. And then after her level, Leon is put in charge to protect her? At a save point, I asked my BF to kill her, just to see what would happen. It was awesome. She wimpered and cried before it happened, just like a girly girl stereotype would. She didn't even try to fight back. LAME. (I was glad to see her die. She annoyed me.)

Give me a strong woman who can fire a gun, defend herself, do things other than throw lamps, wimper in the face of an enemy, and have a camera pointed at her barely-covered-by-her-ripped-skirt butt.

I think I'll just quit college and my job so I can start popping out babies now. I'm 19; I've legally been able to make kids for about a year and a half (biologically for about 7 years). I'm slacking off! Good thing I already know how to cook and sew!

Aarrrgggggghhhhhhh!!
    and don't get me started on TOYS for boys and girls. I work at a toy store and I get customers who think that a science kit isn't good for a girl, but a useless blonde-haired and blue-eyed barbie doll is perfect.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I don't think it's so bad once you read the description:
    I mean... it's about earning money.

:rolleyes:

Of course, I was always jealous of how girls could make more money babysitting an evening per week than I could delivering papers the entire week....

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Imagine babies should be "Imagine yourself a single mother at 14"

8. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I hope that nobody buys this, so game developers everywhere get a the message.
    They are catering to the non-gamer female segment (for the most part) which is almost non-existent. There are plenty of female gamers, i know a lot that play wii, nobody needs games like Imagine Babies

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

[​IMG]

10. pcypert macrumors 6502

For some reason the well put together girl on the cover of the babies one with a big smile on her face reminds me of health ed in high school. They brought in a teenage mother to try and scare the girls from getting knocked up in high school. The girl went on and on about how great it was...her mom watched the kid and she still got to go out with friends and come to school...not what they intended.

Box art should have a girl who hasn't slept in weeks with horrible hair about to scream :)

Paul

11. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

hell yeah, train those girls to be housewives, put women in their proper place, makin dinner for the family!

Jesus whats next? :rolleyes: gotta love marketers....

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Ubi knew they wanted to call the game "Imagine babies...AT YOUR AGE" but they punk out at the last minute:D

Ubi thinks of the darnest things....whats next "spank the ham" the game? yup touch generation.

online enabled....ewww

Bless

13. KristieMac macrumors 6502a

KristieMac

14. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Where is "Imagine CEO" ? or Imagine "Madame President"?

15. KristieMac macrumors 6502a

KristieMac

Those will be out right after "Imagine yourself chained to a stove, baking your CEO husband a pie" and "Imagine First Lady because it's all you're ever going to be"

16. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

LOL
    Or "Imagine Hiring a Divorce Attorney When CEO Husband Goes Out for Pie"

17. KristieMac macrumors 6502a

KristieMac

Nice one!

These would be funnier if the original titles weren't so sad. :confused:

18. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Yes, that is how I feel, too. Except, it makes me so weak and nauseated, that I can't even get angry. Plus there's no point to getting angry. I read the OP earlier today and felt physically sick. I literally left the computer. (And no OP, it's not a reflection upon you, but rather the gaming industry, contemporary society, and hegemonic structures, overall.)

The issue I have with that is... why must being strong be equivalent to being capable of causing or inflicting violence? It's a dual-edged problem: being non-violent should NOT be a symbol of femininity or weakness. Likewise, being masculine should NOT entail being or even being capable of violence.

Sigh. Yes. Open up your Sunday ads. I can bet that the average 2-80 year old can tell from 50 ft away which pages are filled with toys "for girls" and which "for boys." It's highly evident. Trust me. Any given Sunday, those intended for "girls" are bright pink while the boys' pages are blue.

Children show full internalization of genderizing by the age of 3. Three.

Okay, maybe. But then from the age of 18 and later, in terms of other full blown careers? In almost every industry today, men are still paid more than equivalently qualified women. So yeah, I'd rather take the pay hit from the ages of 8-18 if it meant I could make that much more and get raises, bonuses, promotions, and even better benefits more and more frequently from the age of 18+.

19. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

I doubt they will sell well. Young girls today are too sophisticated.

20. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

21. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

22. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Maybe I can finally get my girlfriend to put down her Simone de Beauvoir to play this and learn her place in life.

23. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Hahahaha omg that's amazing, best thing i've seen so far this week! :D

24. takao macrumors 68040

takao

while being ridiculous on the one side on the other side i guess quite a lot girls like to play "mama" looking at the amount of "baby" dolls being sold

25. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I think a point is being missed.

There is a difference between actually liking something or the way that things are versus having internalized societal norms and expectations.