Hey Siri Never works!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tmanto02, Nov 23, 2015.

1. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

It works for the first few times then never again. I say it exactly as I did when I originally set up, but no Siri doesn't activate. I've even tried re-setting it up and varying the way in which I say it during the set-up process, but no luck. It then works for a few times then never again.

Many others out there experiencing the same?

2. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Works spot on here, even when shouting at it from across a large room. Very impressed and probably my most used S feature.

3. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

Make sure you say the command in a loud and clear voice

4. ElysiumY2K macrumors member

ElysiumY2K

Yea same here.

For me it's a hit and miss. It sometimes activates when I say the some words similar to Siri. I was once talking and said the word 'Seriously' and it activated lol

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Mine is a valuable feature and works quite well.

Like the poster above, I can even get mine to work when it is across the room

6. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

I was super excited about Hey Siri when it was first announced (profile pic checks out), but it's way to temperamental and unreliable.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Maybe where you are on "earth" your reception is poor. Siri does depend on being able to use the Apple servers, without, it will not work well or at all.

8. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Sydney cbd - 70 megabit down and 40 up on cellular regularly so doubt it.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Well as you can see this site is not full of "Siri does not work" threads so it may be a problem with you hardware but I doubt it. How does dictation work on your device? Have you tried it? If it works well Siri should also.

Good Luck

10. viperGTS macrumors 65816

By any chance, do you have Low Power Mode enabled? You never mentioned this, and it disables Hey Siri.

11. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

12. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

Doesn't work for me either and I've tried several solutions on the web. I'm either on WiFi or LTE, phone facing up so microphone is not covered and I say "Hey Siri" pretty loudly and clearly in a same tone I've used during the setup. Low Power Mode is disabled and it simply does not work. Is there an easy way to test the M9 co-processor? Because I can't figure it out at all.

13. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

I suspect that the percentage of Apple users who use Siri is seriously low.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is in the single digits.

It's good that Apple offers it for the disabled, but I don't think it will ever gain traction amongst the masses.

14. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

That's a good point. I would assume it has a lot to do with reliability, which is quite low - there's a lot of topics online on non-working Hey Siri, which I found much more useful than using Siri with your hands.

15. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You will always hear about the negative more than the positive in these forums. Especially in McRumors.

16. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

That is very true however it's a shame new functions with iOS / iPhone no longer simply works as they used to. I've been an Apple user for many years and I simply can't get this to work even with trying so many steps.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Mine works so well there must be something wrong with yours. I can have Siri give the score on a football game from across the room. If there is anyway you could get it to the Apple Store for them to see. Maybe even try some of the I
    Phones there to see if they work for you.

I use mine 5-6 times a day and consider it of great value to me.

18. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

Guys, my massive apologies here! It was my fault and my settings. I have Passcode and Touch ID switched on and I have restricted access to everything prior entering Touch ID. I didn't realise this will affect Siri as well so that's why the Hey Siri function didn't work - entirely my fault. However I was really surprise, Apple did not mention this in the Hey Siri troubleshooting guide. So sorry for the panic folks, my bad! :(

19. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

So glad to hear as Siri can be a big help. She can be amazing at times.

Hope you enjoy, Sir!

20. JJayguy23 macrumors member

JJayguy23

It doesn't work for me either.

21. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

Did you check your security settings? You might be in a same situation as I've been a while ago regarding not allowing Hey Siri, prior to entering Touch ID.

22. cynics macrumors G4

If you are have trouble with Hey Siri you might want to try setting it up in the same environment you typically use it.

For me that is when I'm driving. My voice must sound different enough from my car vs my office where I initially set it up to have very hit or miss activation. Once I set it up in my car it works 95% of the time the first time.

23. JJayguy23 macrumors member

JJayguy23

Correction, it does work, just not all the time... It's intermittent. Apple products are getting glitchy...

24. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I'm in the same boat. I've set it up five times now. Most recently was last month. If it's really close to my face (i.e. On the nightstand while in laying) it generally works. If it's any farther I get maybe 50/50 shot. It's just something I find myself never using since it's so unreliable, unfortunately.

25. Smithwicks macrumors regular

Same here. Worked 1 out of 3 times I had it next to my face just now. Very unreliable.