Hey Siri!

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by chrismarle, Jun 2, 2014.

1. chrismarle macrumors 6502

I just noticed that the "Hey Siri!" thing just works when the device is plugged. Kinda letdown...

2. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

thats meant so that the mic being constantly on doesn't kill battery life.

3. chrismarle thread starter macrumors 6502

Pretty sure it would not be that bad since it's only listening for a key word...

4. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I'm not sure it quite works that way...

5. garettap macrumors newbie

Yeah this is really upsetting to me as it's easily one of my favorite new features!

Perhaps once it gains popularity they will alter it? Hoping so! Really loses value when relegated to plugged in status.

6. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Perhaps it’s for cars without Eyes-Free or CarPlay?

7. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

As a car owner

Not having Siri listen when its off the charger is better IMO. Now I can use my phone without touching it (which is a Godsend when driving in my city).

8. ajiuo macrumors 65816

They actually stated this in the keynote.. not a surprise at all. Im glad of the decision.. it would kill battery so fast to have siri listening 24/7

9. chrismarle thread starter macrumors 6502

Well it is launching itself when it hears "Hey Siri!" so yeah I'm pretty sure it works that way.

10. garettap macrumors newbie

I see the rationale behind making it plugged-in only, but why not give us the choice?

11. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Not necessarily... Google Launcher constantly listen to "OK Google" without kill the battery life... Loving the this feature...

12. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

The microphone still has to be on constantly regardless of what it is listening for.

13. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

That's not my point. The point is it can't just "listen for a specific word", as you said. It listens to everything around it, waiting for that word to be said. How can the microphone possibly only activate when you say a certain word when it wasn't active to begin with to hear that word? Think about it.

14. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

Siri would record every sound around you if this wasn't the case, not to mention someone could just say "Hey Siri!" loudly and activate multiple devices around them. That would be very disruptive.

15. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

It seems to me that this is one of those things where the iPhone 6 will have a low power chip within the new A8 (or whatever they call it) that listens for "Hey Siri" without draining the battery, ala Moto X. All previous phones will probably be limited to plugged in only.

16. ettd88 macrumors 6502

The comand hey Siri only works in English. Tried it on Spanish didn't work!

17. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Shouldn’t it be “hola Siri”? :D

18. Casiotone macrumors 6502a

Casiotone

Doesn't this feature only work on the Moto X which has a special low-power chip to handle this?

We could expect that future iPhones would also have something similar and remove this limitation.

19. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

why so more battery threads spring up? no thanks. :rolleyes:

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Sounds like that might be the case.

21. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Once they figure out how to implement it efficiently, they'll remove the restriction. Rare case of Apple putting the cart before the horse. Not necessarily a bad thing, as the key use is in the car and your phone is most likely plugged into your car system (they assume).

22. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Noo.... having the mic and processor constantly parsing mic data? Big battery drain..

23. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

I was thinking about this earlier. Good thing it's only for phones that are plugged in though.

Imagine being in public and trolling the people in your surroundings by yelling "Hey Siri!" :apple:

24. Roganjosh01 macrumors newbie

Maybe in a future iPhone

The Moto X has an always on voice assistant and the way they got around battery issues was by having a lower-power processing core dedicated to processing voice and constantly listening.

This is a very similar solution to the M8 processor introduced in the iPhone 5S, so I'm guessing that there is a good chance that an always-on Siri will be a headlining feature of the iPhone 6 (with possibly an upgraded M8 processor for the task or an entirely new core).

25. NightFox macrumors 68000

NightFox

At least only listening when plugged in cuts down on the situation where you're going to be in a crowded environment and someone else says "Hey, Siri - play me some music" and everyone's iPhone starts playing a song

Can you imagine at next year's WWDC if Tim gets on stage for his keynote and shouts out "Hey, Siri" Instant chaos!