Hi : ) !!! - Just confirming, if getting refurb, no apple care ...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by igmolinav, Oct 10, 2014.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi,

Just confirming. If one buys a refurbished 11" MBA,
    one can not get apple care, or is it possible ??

Thank you for confirming, kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

2. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Cool : ) !!!

However, I am not buying it directly
    from Apple, but from another retailer.
    Sorry, I didn't mention it before,
    because I didn't know if it mattered.
    I am reading now that apple gives
    a one year warranty for their refur-
    bished products; the ones bought
    directly from apple, of course. But
    other retailers may offer a different
    length for their apple refurbished
    products.

So, my question would be, if the
    warranty given by the retailer, is
    less than a year, let's say only
    ninety days,
    could I still get apple care ??

Thank you again, kind regards,

3. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

applecare

No I'm afraid not, only if bought from the Apple refurb store.

4. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Ok. I see.

Thank you again, kind regards,

5. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

If the refurb is less than 1 year old, you can purchase Apple Care for it regardless of where it was purchased.

6. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you for your post : ) !!!

I just checked with the retailer
    and he offers a ninety-day-
    warranty! How soon should
    I buy or have paid the apple care?

Thank you, kind regards,

7. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

not true....not sure where you got this mis information.

only refurbs from apple are subject to applecare extension.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple Certified Refurbished Macs come with a standard 1 year warranty, like new models, and qualify for AppleCare. If your retailer is offering a 90-day warranty, you're buying a used Mac, not an Apple Certified Refurbished product, which you can buy here.
    You can buy AppleCare on any Mac within 1 year of its original purchase date. The clock on used Macs starts when the Mac was first purchased new from Apple.

9. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I am not sure why non-Apple refurbs would be any different than used Mac's. My brother picked up a 2013 Air on Craigslist and when he entered the serial number here https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do it was within the first year and he was able to purchase AC.

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Doesn't sound like an "authorized" retailer.

Well if you are getting a major discount, it's a gamble. BTW you *may* not be getting a fresh battery like you do from Apple.

But since you are asking, perhaps you can't afford to gamble.

11. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

1 year of original purchase date.

this comes with 90 days , its not an authorized reseller so there is no guarantee you can add applecare considering it could very well be out of the 1 year purchase date being refurbished.

i can go to a yard sale and buy a 3 year old mac and offer you 90 days warranty , doesn't mean you can go do apple and get apple care.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

We're not talking about Macs older than a year. Going back to the original post I responded to:
    capathy21's statement is true. If the "refurb" is less than a year old, it still qualifies for AppleCare, just like any used Mac.

13. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

ok , so by that statement , if i go to a pawnshop and buy a mac laptop with 90 day warranty , i can than register the warranty 364 days before the original purchase date.... NO you cant.

the laptops age is not from the date you buy it refurbished (for apple care purposes) , which is what this person is inquiring about.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you can't register any warranty before the original purchase date. If you go to a pawnshop and buy a used Mac, you can buy AppleCare for that Mac any time before 1 year from the date that Mac was originally purchased new or Apple Certified Refurbished. Whether or not the seller provides their own warranty and the length of the seller's warranty is irrelevant.
    In the case of Apple Certified Refurbished Macs, you can buy AppleCare for such a Mac up to 1 year from the date it was bought as a refurbished model. Apple resets the purchase date on refurbs, so the warranty and AppleCare are treated as if it's a new product.

The problem lies with other retailers claiming that Macs they sell are "refurbished", when in fact, they're simply used. Even in such cases, AppleCare can be bought as long as it's within 1 year of the original purchase date (as new or Apple Certified Refurbished).

15. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

nevermind....agree to disagree.

16. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

If you purchase a 364 day old Mac from a pawn shop, then that Mac would have 1 day of Apple's 1 year manufacturers warranty left on it. Anyone can purchase Apple Care on any Mac within the first year regardless of where the Mac comes from. I could find one in a dumpster, check the warranty info, and if it is less than 1 year old, it is still eligible to have AC added.

All the OP has to do is plug the serial number of his machine in, and if it is less than 1 year old, he can purchase AC.

17. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

If you can provide a purchase receipt.

they did not ask if it could have warranty from date of purchase , but the date they buy it refurbished.

the answer is no , the laptop only will have 1 year warranty from apple itself , if you buy it from another source its up to the serial number , so no it may not have up to a year to be extended.

18. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Let's say a Mac was sold on May 1st, then returned, and you buy it October 1st as refurbished.

If you buy it from Apple, then as far as Apple is concerned it was sold on October 1st. You have warranty until September 30th next year, and until that date you can buy Apple Care, which will last until September 30th 2017.

If you buy it elsewhere, then as far as Apple is concerned it was sold on May 1st. You have Apple warranty until April 30th next year, and until that date you can buy Apple Care, which will last until April 30th 2017.

19. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

That's ecactly what I am saying too. We're not discussing a warranty from the place of purchase, that's irrelevant.

If what he bought is within the first year, he can add AC. If it's not he can't.

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A purchase receipt is not necessary. The warranty and AppleCare eligibility begins the day when a Mac is first sold, either as a new model or as an Apple Certified Refurbished product. With rare exceptions, Apple knows that date, even if you don't provide a receipt, and it can be checked online, as others have indicated.
    Here's what was asked:
    If it is a product that was refurbished by Apple, it comes with a 1 year warranty from Apple, regardless of where it is sold, and regardless of any warranty the retailer may offer. If it was refurbished by someone other than Apple, but was originally purchased new less than a year ago, you can still buy AppleCare for that product, regardless of any warranty offered by the retailer. Check here to see if a product is still covered by Apple's warranty and if it qualifies for AppleCare coverage.
    Check the link above to see if you can buy AppleCare for the product. The retailer's warranty is irrelevant. You have to buy AppleCare within 1 year of the original purchase date of either a new or Apple Certified Refurbished Mac. It doesn't matter how many times a Mac changes hands or if it is resold by another retailer or if that retailer offers their own warranty or not.