Hi Res vs Regular?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ghsNick, Jun 16, 2011.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Ok so I'm ordering my MBP today and wanted everyone's input on the Hi Res option.

I want a glossy Hi Res but my store doesn't carry them...so to compare Hi Res vs Regular I'm going to compare the Matte Res vs the Glossy in stores.

Would that be the same comparison of Glossy Hi Res vs Regular other than not getting the anti-glare?

What does Hi-Res really do better then regular?
    Do webpages look better, movies, or just photo editing (which I don't do.)?

Thanks for the help.

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

There are like a million threads to this topics with a zillion answers.

My input unless you have issues with your eyes go high res. If you cannot afford it buy a different notebook.

3. wct097 macrumors 6502

I find it comical that they even offer the low-res version as 'standard'.

4. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

5. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Hi res is good, but I'm an old far so I choose the regular res. Sorry guys.

6. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Hi-res, 100%. This was the main reason I spent twice as much on a 15" instead of the 13" - I can't handle the 800-line screen on the 13".

7. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I have Floaters in my left eye but other than that I have good 20/20 vision.
    My eyes do get irrated sometimes (from the length I'm on my laptop) but I still want Hi-Res. Do you think it'll cause much problems for my eyes. Im 21 btw. So I'm not super old lol.

8. smeg36 macrumors regular

I just got my high res antiglare yesterday. Upgraded from a 13" MacBook Pro. Major upgrade. I love the screen.

9. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Its awesome I agree.

10. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I've posted quite a few times on the high res vs. Standard res. I spent weeks and actually had several different computers home to try them for 13" to 15" standard vs glossy and high res. I still believe it is what you like. It is not that one is better than another. What works best for you and maybe your wallet is the key. I ended up high res matte and I love it but it was not an easy or quick decision. If you can go look at them. Spend the time and go with what works for you.

11. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

I did the exact same and I feel the same way, I even thought the silver bezel was going to both me but now I dont even notice it and actually have come to like it. :D:apple:

12. smeg36 macrumors regular

Agreed. I originally ruled out the matte screen because I didn't like the look of the silver bezel in photos, and I really liked the single sheet of glass on the glossy. But I decided to go look at it in person at the Apple store, and actually really liked the way it looked in person.

13. Locodice macrumors regular

This is one issue the Glossy vs Matte camps can't argue about.

Go Hi-Res!

Agreed - it's like a big Macbook Air

14. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I seriously doubt it.
    My uncle would say if you have problems it is probably the optimetrist's fault, if you wear glasses. He is one of course and usually unhappy with the work his colleges do.
    If you don't have any odd eye problem it is rarely a problem. I know the difference between glasses (more or less perfect correction) and lenses (good but not perfect correction and well I don't get head aches or anything. I think mostly older people have this problem. According to my uncle there are also some eye "issues" that if not properly corrected at a young age fester sometime around 40+ and you have to deal with it (like prism vision which is when your eyes don't align horizontally but the brain corrects and people(and optometrists) often don't notice but they get head aches and are incapable of using multi-focal glasses (without head aches) when they need them).

What I know from some people like my dad they just prefer size and easy readability over efficiency and display quality. If you are 21 believe me it won't be a problem. You get used to it really fast and you can't buy anything else anymore.

You have 14 day restock time (at least in Europe by law, US they sometimes charge a fee) but after this time you either cannot stand it or you are the one who cannot live without it after a while. There are really only those two categories in my experience.

15. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I just went to the Apple store and compared the 15 inch matte (which has hi res obviously) and the regular 15 inch and couldn't tell a big difference?

The mouse looked a little smaller on the matte (hi res), the top menu looked smaller, and webpages weren't as wide as on the regular version.

Am I an idiot or are the differences that small?

16. sportsnapper macrumors member

sportsnapper

Ha - never really noticed the silver bezel on my new hi-res matte 15" as my last MBP had one - 2008 model. :D

17. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

lol, before reading the 'Im 21' I thought you would be like 40 :p

18. Glockcubed macrumors member

Glockcubed

19. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

The difference is how much you can fit on screen - you have to compare the screens while using it the way you would (not just comparing mouse and menu bar sizes). With the hi-res, I'm able to have two things open side-by-side, like a Word doc and a website. With the lower res, a website had to be 3/4 of the screen to see the content.

20. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

High res+AG
    Although the 17" has no low res option.

21. Sasafrass macrumors newbie

22. JH4DC5 macrumors member

i have the hi-res gloss and i love it. especially love the extra screen real estate when working on multiple documents

23. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Webpages can easily be zoomed. I do have a 19" 1440x900 screen next to my 15" MBP and trust me there is quite a big difference in how much stuff you can fit on the screen. Also in looking at two normal text size pages next to each other on the 1440x900 it looks much worse because there isn't enough sharpness.
    You get more space because the unimportant, menubars, icons buttons are smaller and you get a sharper image at lower zoom levels, which means you can see more at a time without sacrificing display quality.

24. snazy20 macrumors newbie

Wow an overwhelming response in favour of the Hi Res screen. I'm about to pull the trigger on a MBP and went to the Apple Store yesterday to check out the high res screen, but they only had it available for the 17inch model. It did look a lot sharper, and I think it's something I want.

When I was talking to the Apple guy there, he said it won't make a difference for me and is mainly for graphic design and things like that. But someone posted above about the hi res screen giving them the ability to put two documents side by side, which I think would be useful too!

Decisions, decisions...(probs go hi res though)...