Hi Res...worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lowonthe456, Mar 15, 2011.

1. lowonthe456 macrumors 6502

I'm going to be ordering a 15" 2.0 and am intersted in the Hi Res screen.....I'm told 2-3 weeks extra as its obviously BTO....is it worth it? I don't mind the extra hundy....but not sure waiting a mont is worth it... :confused:

2. Prhymeate macrumors member

3. badpinoy macrumors regular

It is worth it. The screen something you will be staring at all the time, but if you have never worked with a hi-res screen then you don't know what you are missing. Its one of those things that once you have a hi-res its hard to go back.

4. lowonthe456 thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess I wonder as I don't photoshop or code.....mainly the usual surfing, some blogging and some Ableton live and thats it. I don't doubt for those who really need it that its a great setup, I'm just wondering for someone who is a casual user. I've played with a standard base unit and it looked really good to me....So I bet the Hi Res would looks great too....

5. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

I humbly suggest that if there is an Apple store near you, it is best for you to personally check out both the standard & high-res screens for yourselves & then choose the one that suits you the best.

Good luck. :)

6. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Its defnitely worth it, extra screen space is always good.

Try a local apple store if you have one near, as some stock the high res screen models too, although they might be the 2.2 model.

7. lowonthe456 thread starter macrumors 6502

aside from making things smaller....is there an improvement in contract or color?

8. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

I think it's worth it. I went from a 15" 1440x900 pre-unibody MBP to one of the new hi-res 15" MBP's. It feels like I'm working with a larger screen now even though I'm not. I would never go back.

9. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I think it's worth it. Saw it in person. It's something youll be staring at daily so why not? If you plan to hook it up to an external monitor and use it in clamshell mode, then no, not worth it.

11. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Are you near an Apple store or best buy?

I was deciding between 13, 15 and 17 and the only way I was able to come to a conclusion was to go to the store and test them out.

12. lowonthe456 thread starter macrumors 6502

The store nearest my work didnt have a hi res on the floor and yes I have looked at the standard res

Anyone regret the Hi res?

13. bcaslis macrumors 68020

No, I wouldn't buy a MBP 15" without the hi-res option. I've actually had both the glossy hires and anti-glare hires and to me the anti-glare hires is the clear winner. I don't care about reflections and think the glossy with black border looks better on the computer. But the hires antiglare had the best brightness, cleanest whites, and more accurate colors. The glossy has a little more "pop" in colors but it's not much and much less than matte screens from two years ago.

14. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

Yes. That was one of the reasons I sold my 2009 MBP for this a 2011 one.

15. strat2000 macrumors newbie

I just returned my hi-res matte 15" Macbook pro after using it for a week and traded it for one with a regular screen. I couldn't get used to how small everything was and got headaches from squinting all the time.
    I do noticed though that text is easier to read on the glossy screen compared to the hi-res matte, even after I zoomed the text.

16. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

If I wanted a high res screen I definitely wouldn't let 2-3 weeks' wait discourage me, unless I absolutely *could not* wait (i.e. big project and no computer).

As to whether you want one, it depends and is personal preference.

I would like the screen real estate but I won't ever get a high res screen unless resolution independence comes to the OS. That's because I strongly dislike the tiny system fonts, and also the small fonts everywhere else. The "everywhere else" ones can be enlarged somewhat, but it's a pain (i.e. there is no "seamless" way to just enlarge it across the board; and even when you enlarge things individually there are negative consequences). The system fonts just don't get larger.

I tend to read a lot on my computer and although I can read tiny print it's not enjoyable for me.

But as to which one you would like..... I can't say.

MT

17. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

18. Robbug macrumors member

Ordered my 15" hi-res this last Sat. It landed in Alaska today and will be here on Thursday. CTO and and delivery scheduled in 6 days. Just FYI.

19. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

20. mastaofdisasta, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011

mastaofdisasta macrumors member

I did the same exact thing, I returned my matte in exchange for the standard-res. Back when I had the hi-res, my eyes continually strained and I returned it. Then I picked up a standard res. It treats my eyes a little better, but I still strain a bit. Plus I absolutely cannot stand the reflections of the gloss. I think I might end up needing glasses anyway, so now I'm thinking about switching back to the hi-res, because I really do love the display. I'm waiting till I get my eyes checked tomorrow first.

21. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

I suggest to check it out at the nearest Apple Store first. This is one of the instances where you can't go for the majority hype but trust whatever your eyes (and uses) want. I love the hi res on the 17" but can't stand it on my MBA 13" on extended periods of reading. It also depends on what you do most of the time with your machine. If you do a lot of photoshop work, get the hi res. If you want to do a lot of hard core gaming, the standard res can give you better frame rates. If you want to do a lot of web surfing and content reading, resolution could be a big crapshoot on most sites so you'll be happier with standard.

Happy shopping! :)

22. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Yep, I totally agree with you. Each set of uses and computer user is different. I don't understand people who post things like "Get 'X screen,' it's the only way to go!" To me that would be like saying "This sportscar is the BEST and you should get it," when I have no idea but that you run a farm and need to transport heavy trailers or bales of hay.

I happen to agree with you on the MBA 13" for me and my uses; I like them but I can't take the high resolution for reading and web surfing, which is what I do most of.

Now if we had resolution independence, all would be beautiful :cool:

23. lowonthe456 thread starter macrumors 6502

Like I said, no photoshop or coding...I'm not a gamer either. The most taxing thing I will be doing (and reason for not getting the MBA 13") is running Ableton Live.

24. Jmouse macrumors 6502

IF its for music production / djing.

go for normal standard one. unless theres no wait time and your happy to pay more for it.

25. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

What is the pixel resolution for simple screen and what is the one for hi-res for the 15 model?
    Lets tell it with numbers too.