Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Go home, wash your mouth out with soap and don't bother coming back. Shouldn't have bothered sharing your thoughts in the first place, they're not productive anyway.

Actually, if you take a deep breath and read what I've wrote, you might find I've tried to help you refine your question and understand what precisely you are asking.

wvphysics

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
It would seem to me, the OP has been very unclear until just the few recent posts as to what his goal, or what his actual question is. It took three days for him to say it but it seems like he wants to know if his macbook and projector resolution is beyond his limit of resolving two pixels from the distance that he normally views it.
If the limit is 1 arcminute, 0.0166667 degrees, or 2.91E-4 radians (rounded) then follow this:

theta = arcTan[L/(R*D)]

theta is the angle of viewing between pixels
L is the Length of the screen in that dimension
R is the number of pixels in that dimension
D is the distance away that you view it

This will have to be done for both the hiegth of the screen and the width becuase pixels are not always sqaure. If theta<1 arcminute, then your screen is better than the human eye can see and a higher resolution will not be noticed. If theta>1 arcminute then getting a higher resolution screen will be a better picture

If you need you hand held, multiply R and D first (R*D), then divide L by the product of R and D L/(R*D), then take the arcTan of the whole thing.

If that is not answering your question then you have yet to ask your question in a clear manner.

PS. I second Haathi....you've been a pr*ck.

Randomoneh

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2011
I am sorry to dig this thread from the grave but this is important.

If you want to match the vision of normal, healthy person:

needed distance = 11459 divided by PPI
needed PPI = 11459 divided by distance from display

*11459 is derived from tangent of 0.3 arcminute angle.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I am sorry to dig this thread from the grave but this is important.

If you want to match the vision of normal, healthy person:

needed distance = 11459 divided by PPI
needed PPI = 11459 divided by distance from display

*11459 is derived from tangent of 0.3 arcminute angle.

Now factor in display tech.

GNEX...AMOLED + Pentile + High PPI = still looks inferior to the iPhone 4S.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
It depends on how far away from the screen the users eyes are in a sense. If you have those dimensions it becomes easy to calculate.

Dont get your hopes up though, apple isn't going to release a retina display macbook pro for a while. I wouldn't wait for it.

Less than a year later...:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.