Hidden gems for any console

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Soulstorm, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Well, i have been thinking a lot about it. You know, all of us agree that some games are just excellent. So much excellent that not even one can deny that they deserve the highest rating possible.

Games such as this are: Metal Gear, Gran Tourismo, Halo (yeah, despite what everyone is saying, it is a good game).

However, I am starting this thread for every game tat is good, but overlooked. You know, those hidden gems? Tell everyone here, what game you think deserves your attention, and what game surprised you with its quality, but did not receive very high reviews, or at least, it has not had the success in terms of sales, that it deserved.

I will make the start:
    Playstation 2: ICO. Boy, this is the game. Lots of imagination, and lots of hours to play. This is an inspired game overlooked by many.
    Playstation 3: Timeshift. A hidden gem. Not the best looking game, not the best optimized, either. But it's fun nonetheless.

You can also say what game disappointed you the most. Any platform, even PC is acceptable.

2. 119576 Guest

That's the game to end all games as far as PS2 goes. :)

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'd say Advance Wars Days of Ruin...I don't know how hidden it is, but I don't hear enough about it.

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Tomb Raider Legend (360) I got it for $12 NEW at EB a while back. Sure its not a 10/10 but for the price it's actually a fairly solid game. Much better than crap that was TR a few games back :eek:

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. Not exactly hidden, but a lot of people made a huge stink online about it being cartoony and kiddie, when in fact the art style was actually the biggest strong point of the game- it was GORGEOUS. People just whined because it was different. Personally I loved the game and want another like it. I enjoyed it more than Twilight Princess even.

Psychonauts.

I haven't played it yet but Zack & Wiki on Wii is supposed to be EXCELLENT but got horrible sales- much like Psychonauts.

6. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I think people whine because half the freakin game is spent on that *%$&#ing boat :mad: (still a great game though!)

7. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Professor Layton & The Curious Village for the DS, enough said, it's only been recently released but I already fear it will be highly overlooked and the developer will be disencouraged from making a sequel.

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I didn't mind the boat, once you got the ability to teleport with the tornadoes :) Otherwise it would have been maddening. The sailing actually was almost relaxing when you weren't in a rush...

Rather, I was mad at Tingle. I want to kill that freaky little midget. I swear the guy is Michael Jackson- 40 years old, dresses like Peter Pan, stalks little boys, and wears makeup. I wouldn't mind all of this except for the fact that he sends you on a fetch-quest for 8 maps, then charges 3200 ruppees to send you on ANOTHER fetch quest.

Even all that wouldn't have been so bad, except for one minor detail.

I didn't have the big wallet. I could carry 999 rupees. I went and collected all of the maps before talking to the little jerk, then realized, "oh crap, I have to pay all this money to decode them?" I HAD TO MAKE PAYMENTS AND SPENT HOURS JUST KILLING RANDOM THINGS TO MAKE THE MONEY TO PAY HIM OFF.

I would pay money to see Tingle die horribly in the next Zelda game.

Let's not even bring up The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords for GameCube, where every time you were injured, Tingle would come over and rape you and steal all of your money. Plus he invited four little boys over to a "slumber party" with his brothers.

Speaking of underrated games- the GameCube version of Four Swords. It was spectacular fun- but ONLY in multiplayer, and the problem was that every player had to have a GameBoy Advance and a GameCube/GBA link cable.

A GameCube, the game, and four GBA's and four link cables (which only maybe three games supported)? No one ever had the friends + accessories needed to play- it would cost a small fortune.

But when I did play two players with a friend, it was one of the best co-op multiplayer experiences I've had in some time.

9. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

Nintendo 64 - Blast Corps.

Really cheesy story (Nuclear holocaust due to a misprogrammed auto-truck), but awesome gameplay (destroy everything in the truck's path), though the bonus mission to the moon made no sense...

Gamecube/Dreamcast/Arcade in Japan - Ikaruga

Really amazing topdown space shooter. Polarity shifting is amazing. The developers said the game is a maximum of 20mb (if I recall correctly). Incredible game, especially with Progressive scan. It's also come to XBox Live Arcade, soon.

10. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I'm in the minority, but I like SotC more.

Not to minimize the awesomeness of ICO at all. They're both absolute masterpieces.

11. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

Pirates of the Caribbean on Xbox...

Indiana Jones on Xbox...

Both not really hidden, but great games.

XIII maybe?

12. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Puzzle Quest! Anyone with a PSP or a 360 needs to own this game. Excellent mindless fun with an RPG element thrown in for good measure.

13. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

14. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

ummm...you know the sequel is already out in Japan right?

15. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Ikaruga - Gamecube

Very artistic game you can just pick up and play. With the varying methods to play this game really is diverse and has great replay value. Arcade shooters with modern graphics don't come much better than this, just too bad it has so few levels :(

007: Agent Under Fire - Gamecube

one of the most underrated first person shooters in my opinion. I just love the feel of the controls and physics, plus the grappling hook makes multiplayer really fun. Playing by yourself it's not that special, but multiplayer this game shines. It was released early in the Gamecube lifespan but i think it is better than any 007 releases since then.

16. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I surprisingly enjoyed Kameo for the 360. That is a type of game I normally wouldn't play, but once I got into it I was addicted. It was a lot of fun to me.

17. pcypert macrumors 6502

I loved Kameo for the 360 as well. Most people complained about how short is was, but I didn't care. Good Rare game.

Paul

18. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Of course but that doesn't mean it's going to get localized (it sure won't if it sells like crap)... :rolleyes: last time I checked, not every game released in Japan came to the USA/Europe :rolleyes::rolleyes:

19. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah for $12 thats a real good buy. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. One of the few games I bothered completing (though that wasn't hard).

It did get the balance between action and adventure right. Unlike uncharted where the fighting sections are overly protracted imho.

Add me to the Kameo fanclub. Loved the game. Thought it was fantastic.

21. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Has anyone ever played Beetle Adventure Racing for the N64? It's an amazing racing game, and like the title says it's an adventure. Aside from the racing, there are like 20 different routes you can take on each course, and some are nicely hidden, so when you find it, it's quite satisfying. I hope this comes out on the VC.

http://ign64.ign.com/objects/010/010070.html

A 9.1 from IGN :D

Played that on the GC, great game. Loved building the ship and the town.

22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Mark Of Kri(PS2)...I love how you could take out multiple enimies with the right stick and do finish moves..it was brilliant. The art style of this game didn't match the serious tune the game had going..the art style was along the lines of a disney cartoon.

Primal(PS2)...This game didn't get the attention it deserved but the story and gameplay was top notch...although it did have its bad moments.

Bless

23. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

That sounds a bit controversial for a game, especially on the DS. I'm surprised there hasn't been all sorts of news stories about religious groups protesting the game for "corrupting the minds of children." I can't say that I even ever heard of the game. It must be that obscure.... But, then again, I don't have a DS.

Indeed, the Gamecube version was a great game.

Yes! Quite the sleeper title. I fear it may not hold up today, though. If it came out on the VC, it may show it's age....

24. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You said the sequel might not be made. It's already been made, localizing is another issue.

25. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

its on PC but whatever:

Fallout 1 & 2. Simply. Magic.