Hidden water damage sensor

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by inkyspace, Nov 1, 2008.

1. inkyspace macrumors newbie

This is to debate issue of a hidden water damage sensor on the i phone 3G. We all know there is one within the headphone jack. My phone has been having technical problems and the Mac. Store declared that there is a hidden water damage sensor, even though there appears to be no water damage in the headphone jack. They claim the hidden one to be in a barely visible location within the charger circuit.

We are wondering if anyone else has heard of this issue?

Tech support is now saying they have to use a special tool to look at it, but when I was in the Mac. Store, I was not aware of any tools.

Thank you.

2. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I think there is multiple water sensors that are hidden, I think all they need to do is take off the back, though... Not entirely sure, though.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

most phones have a 'hidden water sensor' some where the customer can't tinker w/it easily.
    Also anyone that has serviced electronics for anytime can spot the telltale signs on the board, under the chips, on the connectors etc etc

5. Jinkst macrumors regular

I had no idea there was a water damage sensor in the headphone jack. Thanks for the tip.

Motorola have the easiest water damage sensor to spot. Under the battery, they have a white circle with dye on it, so when moisture hits it, it turns bright red. Makes it so much easier to detect and explain when customers come in complaining about their phone not working properly. I just say, aside from the obvious fact that it's a Motorola, and they haven't been good in years, that its water damaged. Easy :)

6. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Thats all you really need to say, it explains it all :p

7. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I've experienced and witnessed replacement quite a few times. They only check the headphone jack when replacing. Sounds like you just brought it to the wrong Genius.

8. Bodah macrumors regular

I had just made a post about this.

I had a cup of water spilled on the bottom side of my iPhone last night, and I noticed this today.

Attached Files:

9. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Aha! That pretty much confirms the water sensor! It would turn red when water touches it!

10. Bodah macrumors regular

It is really hard to see unless there is a lot of light and you are looking at the right angle.

11. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Exactly what Apple would do so people wont see it.

Be warned, people!

12. Bodah macrumors regular

here is a better pic

Attached Files:

13. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

there are also hidden sensors on the inside, you need to take apart the phone to see it

14. Scottio200 macrumors newbie

Well its must not be very sensitive then

a few weeks back i had a drink spilled on the bottom of my iPhone 3G, got a message on screen saying "This Device is not intended to be used with an iPhone" and my speaker was not working for 20 mins until it dried out

Just looked at the sensor in the bottom of the phone and it is still white:eek:

also my headphone jack is still white

Bit weird this one like, still wouldn't fancy my chances of getting a replacement if needed :(

Cheers
    Scottio

15. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Yeah, drinks are not designed to be used with the iPhone I am sure ;)

16. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

They're not?? What a piece of crap. *throws iPhone in the trash*

17. VenomousSVT macrumors 6502

i used to alot of blackberry support and most of the blackberries had a strip inside the case that would change from black to red when it got wet.. it was just a sticker though, not any kind of sensor.

18. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Its the same with the iPhone, its just a piece of paper that changes colour when it comes into contact with moisture, really.

19. VenomousSVT macrumors 6502

:cheers: :D

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

There are plenty of people who've complained on forums about losing their warranty due to sweat affecting the sensor after jogging or exercising.

The dumb thing is that one of the reasons to have a touchscreen device in the first place, is that it makes it easier to design a waterproof unit if you wished.

The dumber thing is that Apple knows full well where the water can get in, and that's where they place their indicator strips.... instead of making those places more watertight. At least they could include a rubber headphone plug like every other phone on the planet.

21. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

I was kinda surprised by that myself when I got my iPhone. I would have thought that at least the dock bay would have a cover. I am equally surprised no one has made one yet.... third party people here is an idea for ya!!!

22. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Just spotted the white water sensor in my doc connector port. I had to hold it up to the sunlight, but was able to see it. I'm relieved that my sensors have lasted this long. I find myself taking my iPhone 3G out of my pocket after doing anything active and the screen will have a bit on water condensed on it. Not that I'm abusive and that should not be considered water damage, I take the utmost care of my gadgets, especially my Apple ones. It worries me because I have seen brand new phones that my friends have had, and the second day of ownership after doing something active, their little sensor paper squares have changed color voiding the warranty. I would be furious if it happened to me...

23. addictberry macrumors newbie

Re:

water damages are visible with a blackberry. trust me i know. Well i had to know the hard way.

Went for a swim with my blackberry tagging along. the worst! phone never came on after that. The great part was that i didnt have warranty. YIKES!

thank god, i just researched a couple of bb repair sites and blackberryplace.com is the best one that could fix my blackberry in great time and for a reasonable price.

so apparently, if your phone is screwed you can get it fix. Great repair service.

24. Stay Tuned macrumors member

25. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

"You're spilling it wrong"