Hide your iPod, here comes Bill!

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
...an internal e-mail circular sent to several senior managers in mid-December talked about iPod shipments to Apple's nearby store in Bellingham.

The e-mail said: "FWIW, the gal at the Bellevue Square Apple Store said that they are getting in two shipments of 200 iPods every day to keep up with this week's demand, and are nearly constantly selling out."

The note prompted a curt reply from Dave Fester, general manager of the Windows Digital Media division, who wrote the group: "I sure hope Microsoft employees are not buying iPods. We have great alternatives. Check out http://experiencemore."

Fifteen minutes later, the manager responded: "I don't know what I was thinking. I'm sure that Microsoft employees are not buying iPods, or Macs or PlayStations."
Uncle Fester is a meanie!

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Too funny - great article! :D

"I don't really care if it pisses them off," he said. "I'll argue why they're doing it wrong. If you want me to stop using it, give me a product that works and is as easy to use."
I'm guessing this guy uses a Mac as well then! ;) :p

heaven

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Thats a nice story! It would be funny if some of them had also powerbooks and ibooks at work with them.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
dejo said:
Huh? What the hell kinda URL is that?
An internal one. They probably have some corporate bulls**t programs encouraging workers to buy into the company products... every office I've worked in has.

Oh yeah, proper entertaining read, especially the note that the Mac dev team generally all have iPods, while the WMA guys "Smoke the company dope" (lol!). It's entertaining to imagine Redmond departments with prejudices and agendas at each other's throats.

railthinner

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Great article. Whoever that employee is, he/she is funny. And right. How can you hope to build a better product if you don't know the competition?

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
A bit of humor from Wired. ""This irks the management team no end,"" LOL :)

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
Abstract said:
They should open an Apple store right in front of the Microsoft Campus and give MS employees a deal on them. That would surely peeve Gatesy.
I just thought about that, that would be funny, show them your badge, get a percentage off. Show them a Windows Media Rights Department badge, get more off! ha

kyle

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
When I went to the Bellevue store on the night they released Panther, I was surrounded by M$ employees. It was kinda funny. Some of them were bigger Apple zealots than most of the people here. :eek:

I'd like to see the lawsuit if they try to fire someone for using an iPod.

heaven

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
jackieonasses said:
I just thought about that, that would be funny, show them your badge, get a percentage off. Show them a Windows Media Rights Department badge, get more off! ha

kyle
Now we know why apple has problems meeting the high demand on iPods

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
solvs said:
When I went to the Bellevue store on the night they released Panther, I was surrounded by M$ employees. It was kinda funny. Some of them were bigger Apple zealots than most of the people here. :eek:

Ever read the book "Microserfs" by Douglas Coupland? Its about a coder at Microsoft who lives with other coders at MS, and is obsessed with Apple. :p

I know I know, random book suggestions are probably ignored, but this one is funny. He doesn't write like Vonnegut, but similar type of writer in terms of what he'll write about, and Coupland is pretty famous around the world. :)

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft is using iPods. Who can resist the tempting look and feel of sleek designed metal all built into something so sexy....... ;)

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
heaven said:
Thats a nice story! It would be funny if some of them had also powerbooks and ibooks at work with them.

Didn't Microsoft distribute free PowerBooks and OS X discs to the developers of Longhorn?? :p

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
solvs said:
Yeah, same.

"You've been fired."
"ME? Why?"
"Because of your portable music media device."
"Erm...Apple terms.. thats a.... uh... iPod?"
"SHUSH! DON'T SAY THAT!"
"iPod?"
"NOOOOOO!"
"Why? Its great! Holds all my music, photos, and synchronizes with my computer!"
"But it is not ours. It is from the elsewhere."
"You feeling OK?"
"Leave, you have been fired."
"...for using an iPod."
"Yes. Where can I buy one? Just, to uh, yknow, learn about these evil devices."

:D