Hiding Menu Bar Icons

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ziggyonice, Aug 31, 2009.

1. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Does anyone know a way to hide/get rid of third-party menu bar icons? It seems like every developer out there wants to create a menu bar icon for things that are completely unnecessary, and only half of the time do they have an option for turning it off.

Does anyone know of a way to just hide the icon completely? Or hack the application's resources to not display it? Thanks.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You can try cmd-drag'ing them off the menubar, but they'll probably come back the next time the application is started.

3. ziggyonice thread starter macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

True, although that trick only works for Apple apps. Nothing third-party seems to have this implemented this ability. I just hate having more menu bar icons taking up the whole right side of the screen when half of them aren't necessary.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Yep - sure enough. Never really tried it before, but I just did with Meteorologist and no joy. Not sure what to suggest. Perhaps there's a hidden toggle in the app's plist.

5. croc122 macrumors newbie

Wow, thank you for that fantastic tip! :D I never knew that was possible and it irritated me having a cluttered menu bar. Also, I was able to put them in the exact order I wanted them in.

6. 2Turbo macrumors 6502

2Turbo

If you have a menubar app that doesn't allow dragging out or selecting an option to disable the icon, the only thing i've found is making a transparent icon to hide it, you can still click the icon, just can't see it. Scroll down on this page for instructions and the blank icon file to use. It's pretty easy. http://www.6ixpassions.com/post/262582492/keep-your-os-x-menu-bar-nice-and-clean

If the order of icons makes the transparent space out your icons, use this program to arrange the clear icon to the far left: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/menubar-rearranger/id502352699?mt=12

Hope this helps. :)