Higgs Boson

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dweezle3, Jul 4, 2012.

1. dweezle3 macrumors regular

dweezle3

So, what does everyone think about the Higgs Boson announcement today by CERN? Were you guys expecting it? What kind of impact do you think it'll have? Discuss :D

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Unless is allows me to be Odo, I have zero interest. ;)

3. dweezle3 thread starter macrumors regular

dweezle3

4. superhrixenz macrumors member

I don't really like that the media calls it as the "God Particle".

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Infidel!!!! ;)

If Higgs Boson defines the shape of things in the Universe, then Odo, being a shapeshifter, is it's poster-child.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odo_(Star_Trek)

6. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Any evidence that supports the standard model is a good thing. The next discovery should be dark matter for further confirmation

7. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

An awesome discovery that progresses mankind!

8. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Next step? Black holes created in labs..? Should be fun. The real faster than light issue is the one that interests a lot of the CERN folks though. Personally I don't think that paradigm will be altered by this research, but who knows?

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No, it doesn't. Mostly because it isn't an issue thanks to the laws of physics.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They found it relatively quickly. Even Bin Laden was more difficult to find than Higgs-boson.

12. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

You know everyone who's affiliated with CERN? Confidence like this should only be reserved for young earth creationists. You're not one of them, surely?

Anyway, it was great to see particle physicists getting so much media attention!

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The scientific community has a very distinct division: those that practice and develop actual science, and those that perpetuate crackpot theories with no supporting evidence. And I actually do have a fair number of contacts at CERN, working there and all.

Faster-than-light travel is still the stuff of science fiction. Those that believe that it's possible are either religious, stupid, or a combination of both.

14. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

Thank you for that, I feel privileged to know someone so in sync with the scientific community. I will of course call my one friend at CERN (I know, a shade of your "fair number," but we can't all be so connected) to inform him that he is in fact a stupid and/or religious crackpot, and I'm sure that the news will have him resign summarily.

15. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Please do. People, especially those that consider themselves scientists, should automatically be skeptical of crackpot theories like faster-than-light travel without supporting evidence i.e. data. There is zero data that indicates faster than light travel is possible.

16. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Actually, in many branches of physics, "crackpot theories" with no solid data is a part of the profession. Sorry, but lots of it is "theory", and some of the most important discoveries made in physics have been theories that one couldn't prove until much later.

So let physicists come up with their theories. A number of those far-out theories will be true.

18. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There is a difference between a scientific theory and a crackpot theory. One is based on data or evidence, or inferences on what future data/evidence should reveal (for example, the Higgs boson) once a suitable test method or experiment can be developed. The other is based on wishful thinking and/or fantasy. Sometimes the distinction is difficult to grasp for non-scientists, and impossible for the media.

Also: http://youtu.be/-qzqIHj4uGI

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It has no impact on me, its a sub atomic particle that's interesting as it confirms a theory but in the scheme of things, I have more important things to worry about, like when will my retina MBP will arrive :cool:

20. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

While I would agree that it's impossible to travel faster than the speed of light with any given mass, what about multi-dimensionality? Sure, you wouldn't be traveling faster than the SOL in your relative time-frame, but when (and if) you (can) re-enter the dimension at a point exponentially further than what light would have traveled in the time frame of the origin dimension, what happens then?

Also, since you say you work at CERN, might I ask what you do? No need to be overtly specific.

21. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Yes, one is called a theory, the other is called an hypothesis. For a bunch of people discussing science, you people sure seem to be confused about the 2. :rolleyes:

A theory is established after verifying an hypothesis through experimentation and thus having verifiable and observable evidence of a particular phenomenom.

Scientific method much folks ?

22. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It involves mops and buckets.

23. Pivs macrumors member

24. Queso macrumors G4

It's not that long ago that string theory was considered a crackpot idea. Now it's pretty much accepted as the basis of particle physics. People shouldn't be so keen to dismiss a hypothesis because the evidence for it isn't available YET. Who knows what future experiments will reveal as conundrums needing to be solved?

25. Pivs macrumors member

Intuitively, string theory may have seemed crackpot, but the mathematics behind it were very much sound. I wouldn't say string theory is a good example of a crackpot theory turned factual.