"High-Class"/"Elite" items: Mac, Moleskine, Starbucks - What else?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Ahheck01, May 3, 2009.

1. Ahheck01 macrumors 6502

Someone made a very interesting comparison of Moleskine's to Mac's. People pay a little extra for them because they have more form and more function than cheap PC's or 5-star notebooks. What other products do you guys see as held in somewhat of an "elite" or "high class" light in other categories?

-Evan

2. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

I would add Ikea to this category. What else?

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^^How is Ikea "elite" or "high class"? They're crap. Perhaps they're popular, but they sell bad furniture for a low price. It's like saying H&M are like Apple and Starbucks because they're popular. They're just popular because they're cheap, and the stuff doesn't look bad. They're like the "netbooks" of the clothing world.

As a user of both Macs and Moleskines, I'll tell you that Macs offer an advantage over the competition, while Moleskines generally do not. Moleskines aren't nicer, nor is the paper of better quality than other semi-pricey notebooks. They're one of those products that are trendy for little reason, and in 5 years, we'll wonder how the world became convinced that Moleskine was creating a better, more meaningful product for artists and thinkers, when we all know they're just peddling paper notebooks, and have no real corporate history or ties to the makers of the original product. Other companies that are capable of making copycat notebooks (which should be a LOT of companies) will hopefully flood the market soon and end the madness, and Moleskine will disappear.

I use 2 Moleskines, but the reason why I pay so much to use them is because they sell notebooks with blank paper (most important criteria). There are no other small, pocket-sized, soft-cover notebooks with blank pages that are NOT spiral-bound. Notebooks with spiral spines can't be put into a pant pocket easily.

The other Moleskines --- grid paper, lined paper, organizers, city maps and guides --- have cheaper alternatives that are equally good. Some will also have real leather covers.

4. jrichie macrumors regular

I totally agree that Moleskin are not in the same league....

however I go for :

Copic - the best design pens
    Bell & Ross watches [the simple ones]
    possibly wacom
    Audi
    Muji

It depends how you think of Apple - I don't regard them as elite items and Starbucks is at the bottom of the ladder for coffee..... unbelievable !!

Apple products are well designed, functional products that have good clean aesthetics.

that's all I can think of :)

5. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

How is Starbucks highclass or elite? They sell terrible coffee.
    And Muji is hardly elite, they simply produce well designed, mass-produced and affordable products.

6. djellison macrumors 68020

Not really. There are plenty of Audi's that compete in the normal ordinary family car business. They are not especially good, not especially expensive, not especially special.

I WOULD however, put BMW in there. Despite being, in many cases, not the best in class, they are perceived as such. There is an EPIC amount of badge going on with BMW these days - especially with crap like the 1 series (which is NOT a good car). People buy the 3 series because it's got a BMW badge. The Ford Mondeo is a significantly better car, and far better equipped offering MUCH better value. But the BMW is the better selling car - it's ALL about the badge.

Apple, very very elite. Starbucks? That's the opposite of elite.

Ikea? It's cheap stuff that's actually quite well made. We returned >£500's worth of MFI furniture because of dreadful build quality (thank god that company went under so the British public doesn't have to suffer their crap any more), and went and spent half that much replacing every item at Ikea with something that looked better, worked better and is still working better now, 5 years later. It's not an elite brand at all. It's one of those rare things - quality and value.

Other premium brands that come to mind. Sony perhaps. Bose maybe - Bang and whassisname, Canon's premium lenses (the creamy/grey ones) - they are a proper sign of class.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I'd knock Starbucks off the list. Here, at least, they're regarded as the coffee you drink when you can't find a cafè. We don't drink percolated coffee here and their espresso coffees are weak as weak for the size of the cup.

Definitely not a premium brand.

Apple, yes. Molleskine, yes but I don't know why. Small BMWs - there are better cars than most of the 1 and 3 series Beemers though the performance versions are pretty sweet.

I dunno, perhaps Nike?

8. jrichie macrumors regular

BMW? I heard it was the most common 'rep' car in the UK. Hardly makes it Apple status.....

I can see people not agreeing with Audi, but BMW.........

maybe Porshe ?

Possibly Nike......

In fact there are very few companies I can think of that I would put in the same category as Apple.
    That is why they are so special :)

9. BenEndeem macrumors 6502

Marks & Spencer, specifically the food department maybe? I've noticed a vague similarity between M&S and Apple in that they have a 'pretty much everyone has one' market (clothes/iPods) and a more niche 'we only sell premium quality products' section (food/Mac).

Apple and BMW I would definitely agree with.

10. bartelby macrumors Core

11. djellison macrumors 68020

Are we talking things that are rare, or things as status symbols?

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Quite, calling Ikea high class means you don't really understand the term - high class furniture should last for decades, if not longer.

+1, and I don't even like coffee.

13. jrichie macrumors regular

I thought is was 'high class/elite', which is why I dismissed BMW....

14. djellison macrumors 68020

The point being - repmobile BMW's are bought as status symbols. What they say, not what they are. If they wanted a good car, they'd get a Mondeo. But they want the badge - it's all about the class is projects.

15. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

How about we just say Aston Martin as the 'elite' car brand.

Really no way to oppose there:p

16. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Well you need to count in LV (Louis Vuitton), and good looking fakes don't count!

Why is there no mention of anything more expensive than a BMW? Are we talking more mainstream? M3, RS4, Porsche?

Ferrari, Bentley, Rolls Royce etc.

17. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

I think M&S food has gone a bit downhill lately - I was in our local last week and left empty handed.

BMW and Audi would both be on my list but not the 3 level and below.
    TAG Heuer for watches
    Harman/Kardon or B&O for sound systems
    Sony for TVs

Agreed http://www.astonmartin.co.uk/thecompany/news?a=aef9fefe-d985-4e21-920d-708f86120c96

18. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Nope.

The bog standard 318i with basic trim and stock alloys are bought for the badge.

Virtually every other model isn't.

I'd add Chanel to the list. And as everyone has mentioned, Ikea is NOT high class. The opposite, in fact. :D

19. bartelby macrumors Core

I thought we were talking brands whose products are overpriced for what they are...

20. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Nah, we're talking about 'elite / high class items'. It's in the title, lol!

It just so happens that in quite a few cases, the elite items are overpriced for what they are.

21. bartelby macrumors Core

So they're the same thing really.

22. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Where i live Audi and BMW are all considered pretty cheap and are usually given away as free as company cars so definately not elite, i think

Porsche
    Ferrari
    Mont Blanc Pens
    Omega Watches (not Rolex! too many fakes, brand has been ruined)
    Cambridge Audio for music things (not B&O because they're just crap devices in fancy boxes, and ay audiophile knows Harmon Kardon speakers are the worst known to mankind, they just look cool)

23. bartelby macrumors Core

Cambridge Audio are a budget company aren't they?

24. djellison macrumors 68020

What does that mean, exactly.

25. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Cambridge Audio is "high end"

Cambridge Sound "is what people here would consider a PC"