High cost of data plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davidw111, Jan 21, 2009.

1. davidw111 macrumors newbie

I have had my 2G Iphone for almost 1 year thru ATT. The added cost was 29.99 extra per mo. The added cost this mo. jumped to $45, when I talked to ATT rep. I was told that ATT subsidised the data plan for one yr. The new 3G iphones are available with two plans ($30+45) but not the old phones, what gives? Does anyone have a answer other than getting a new 3G ?
    Thanks, davidw111

2. Resist macrumors 68030

The data plan is $30 for the 3G with AT&T. Not sure who told you it was up to $45.

3. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Actually the enterprise data plan is $45, why you'd get an enterprise data plan with an iPhone is another question but it is available.

4. davidw111 thread starter macrumors newbie

cyclingplatypus, I have no idea why I got signed up for "enterprise", I bought phone from Apple online and registered online with ATT and must have accidentally checked off box? I did not know I had it till they started charging for it, and am now told the only way to remove it is to upgrade to 3G. I still have 12 mo. on current contract at additional $15 mo.(= $180), so it might make sense to upgrade to 3G now for $200 and go with std. $30 data plan.
    Thanks for any input, davidw111

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Just show you are not enterprise so they can revert that back to the $30/month for data. Get a letter from your boss explaining so help you out with the rep.

6. seand1111 macrumors regular

if you have a 2G (1st Gen) iPhone, why are you even paying $30 per month for a data plan? The data plan for the 1st gen is $20 and that includes 200 text messages...:confused:

7. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

If you really want to complain about high data rates you should come to Canada.

8. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Exactly.

And the part about having to upgrade to get rid of the enterprise plan is complete fallacy. If you don't want the plan, you don't have to have it. Tell the CSR you want the regular plan at $20/mo and if they don't do it for you, either call back and get somebody different or ask to talk to somebody higher up. They can't force any particular data plan on you. Period.

EDIT: I don't know what provider you're using, so I can't say any of this for sure. But if you're on AT&T, my comments above stand.

9. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I pay $30 CDN for 6 gigs of data a month.

And honestly ... I use a fraction of that. I need to start tethering my laptop or something to get my money's worth.

I almost canned my plan, but then I realized I'd lose basically all my data and only save like 5 or 10 bucks, so I just kept it.

10. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Yes, you got the "special" when the iPhone first came out here. Take a look at the rates now. I don't think $30 gets you 500 mb... Besides why are Rogers charging that for 6GB when the US and UK charge that rate (if you include the horrendous system access fee) for unlimited rate?

11. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

From my understanding, what with me not living in the States and all, at&t will slap your wrist when you hit 5 gigs and will cut you off completely if you go much over. Can anyone confirm.

And ya, that's the only reason I kept the plan - I'd lose basically all my data and I'd only save a few bucks (I think it's now the same $30 for 1 gig)

12. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

It is interesting to note that you only use a fraction of the limit, though. I might end up getting it if they offer the same plan but I'm looking to see what the "new" providers in Canada offer before I commit. It burns me that Rogers can hold us all to ransom...

13. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

When I say a fraction, I really mean it. Some months I don't even go over 100 megs.

But I don't think they'll be offering that plan again anytime soon - plenty of people are ok paying 20 bucks for 500 megs or whatever (the 'default' iPhone plan includes 500 megs for $60).

And, considering all the stupid "profit protection" some Canadian corporations are granted, I don't expect any real competition to Bell or Rogers any time soon. Which is bullpoop, frankly.

14. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

I have a feeling that the worsening economic climate coupled with some new competition (the Fed Govt. opened the door to new non Canadian providers some months ago) will change Rogers' tune. I'll wait a bit and if it gets close to the next revision of the iPhone - will buy that then.

15. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Honestly, I'd be beyond shocked if Verizon or Sprint were allowed in Canada.

Here's to hoping, though.

16. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Wait and see. Even the Fed Govt. here have realised that Canadians have been ripped off on the cellphone front and have abandoned their traditional protectionist stance. Rogers, Bell and Telus will have to adapt their pricing and practices..

17. dave006 Contributor

dave006

OK here is the background: in Jan 2008 AT&T announced an Enterprise iPhone plan for the original iPhone at $45 and they also offered a $25 discount that reduced it to $20 until Dec. 31, 2008. As of Jan. 1, 2009 the Enterprise rate for the original iPhone or the iPhone 3G is $45 with 200 included SMS Txt messages, $55 with 1500 included SMS txt messages. This Enterprise package was directed at Corporate Responsibility Users (CRU) and other corporate-liable users (CRUs).

What type of account do you have with AT&T?
    You should be able to login to your account and change your iPhone data plan to the lower $20 original iPhone rate. Post a few more details as there is no need for you to upgrade to the iPhone 3G unless you want or need it's additional features.:)

Dave

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I don't think I even use 200MB of data a month, and yet AT&T only offers one choice for consumers. Can you imagine if they only offered the $99 unlimited talk plan? NOBODY would do business with them.

People can say other companies all do the same thing, but someone needs to call a spade a spade and demand these companies that control most telecom in the US to start giving us some choice. Choosing between AT&T's $30, Verizon's $30, Sprint's $30 and T-Mobile's $30 isn't choice. Give us a bloody $10/month 1GB plan. If you can set a switch at 5GB, you can set another at 1GB.

19. davidw111 thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to thank all who responded, it got me off my a** and I called back to ATT and talked to another rep.
    dave006 you were right, I somehow got into the Enterprise plan at $45 mo. and the second ATT rep was able to put me back into $ 20 plan with 200 text mes. allowed (I still don't text, I was born in the 50's, unlike some of you from the 80-90's that had keyboards in your cribs).
    All is well , davidw111

20. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I think you're confused.

21. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

now why exactly would he be confused?

22. davidw111 thread starter macrumors newbie

lostprophet894, what I was referring to was the ability of my grand kids to text message and keyboard so fast, where I'm still use two fingers on a keyboard.
    davidw111

23. SummerBoy macrumors regular

SummerBoy

I'm with you on that. I type like birds with two fingers :)

24. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I see.

I didn't really acquire any typing skills until college so I don't really think it has anything to do with our generation. Practice makes perfect.